Attacking While on a Toilet Break SPOILER

cyclecraig
cyclecraig Posts: 26
edited February 2010 in Pro race
Just read that there are a lot of suggestions from different riders at THE TOUR OF OMAN that a group attacked while current leader EBH was taking a comfort break.

Although there is no rule against this it seems below the belt to me!!! :evil:

EBH lost over a minute and any chance of victory

THOUGHTS WELCOME
Riding wise ive been Making Mediocre cool since 2003.

HIGHLIGHT..Raid Pyrenean 2005!!!

LOWLIGHT..To many to mention!!!

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,869
    cyclecraig wrote:

THOUGHTS WELCOME

spoiler in the title?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • spoiler in the title FFS! some of us have only seen st.2
  • Spoiler.
    24 hours is hard enough as it is.
    So far managed it.........until now.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • if you wait till the last 50k why should other riders give a fuck..should have just pished himself
    Crafted in Italy apparantly
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    acidstrato wrote:
    if you wait till the last 50k why should other riders give a fark..should have just pished himself

I tend to agree. If you're wearing the leader's jersey, either stop when everyone stops, or don't stop at all. Peeing whilst still pedalling is a valuable skill for most cyclists to learn.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    You guys are hard core (with the spoilers and not wanting to know what happened, etc).

The Tour of Oman! Who knew it was such a big event!? :shock:
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    P.S> I'd have wee'd myself rather than give up the jersey. Can always get clean clothes on before the podium presentation. :)
  • it was payback according to Roger Hammond....

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/oman-pe ... aggression
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,572
    roger hammonds coming across as a right bitter arsehole
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Bernie S
    Bernie S Posts: 118
    Didn tone team manager say that all the machinations of getting riders from other teams out of their contracts etc was going to backfire on Sky once the season had started
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    spoiler in the title FFS! some of us have only seen st.2

To be fair its two days later and if you havent caught up yet then thats too bad really. Dont know how many times this has to be said.............visit a pro race forum and you will find out the result end of story.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    gsk82 wrote:

If what he says about Sky giving the welly through the feed zone then he has a point , i agree though that at times he is coming across and bitter and jealous.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Bernie S wrote:
    Didn tone team manager say that all the machinations of getting riders from other teams out of their contracts etc was going to backfire on Sky once the season had started

The thing is, while some DS's might not like this, I don't imagine the riders give a damn who Wiggins or Swift ride for, or how they ended up there. It's got no effect on them. A lot would probably like to be bought out of their contracts themselves.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    gsk82 wrote:

Please explain why?

He's just explaining why the peleton rode hard at that point, I should doubt he's the one that gave the orders.

Sky should have played by the rules, or at least not gone all mardy when other people don't follow them.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Hmm - is this not people making a big deal out of it? From what I can see on the team sky website - people are just saying "well, it is an unwritten rule, but oh well - that's racing, we'll go for a stage win tomorrow". Hammond is claiming to be misquoted (although cycling news say not). Basically - in a race that doesn't matter that much, Sky got grumpy about not getting support chasing a break, tried to control a race, EBH went to the toilet, missed a break, Sky had a good effort in chasing it down and received support from teams that missed the break too, failed and lost overall lead. EBH has learnt a lesson - piss early or whilst riding, Sky have learnt that expectations of them are high in the peloton with regards to the work they are expected to do and that they are there to be attacked. Job done for all - and it makes for interesting riding (and rivalries) throughout the season.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Jez mon wrote:
    gsk82 wrote:

Please explain why?

He's just explaining why the peloton rode hard at that point, I should doubt he's the one that gave the orders.

Sky should have played by the rules, or at least not gone all mardy when other people don't follow them.

+1. Sky got what they had coming.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Why is that whenever someone speaks out about Sky, they are labelled "bitter", "jellous" or an "@rseh0le".

I don't think Hammond is any of these things - he, no doubt, earns a handsome living, riding for a very well-equipped, well-funded and successful team, with a rider roster to compete with almost any other ProTour team - green jerseys, classics, GT stages, TdF winner/multiple-podium finisher etc.

The assumption seems to be that every rider in the world is full of envy and aspires to rider for Sky, which I'm sure isn't the case.

I, for one, appreciated him elaborating on the reasons why the race panned out the way it did. Had Sky not complained about EBH being 'attacked' during a rest break, then I doubt Roger (or anyone else) would've said anything about it.

I do agree, though, that it is all a bit petty!
  • Things like this are invariably cock-up rather than consiracy. In this case EBH has demonstrated some naivety by stopping for a slash in the last 50km of a race. Why should the race stop because he wants it to?

I remember Jalabert getting caught out similarly whilst in Yellow at the Tour. Stopped for pee expecting (as is normal) the peloton to respec the Jerseys wishes, however, the fight for the break of the day was just geting going up front, lack of communication.. Jalabert loses yellow.

As JaJa remarked at teh time "Next time I'll piss in the hotel"
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Moray Gub wrote:
    spoiler in the title FFS! some of us have only seen st.2

To be fair its two days later and if you havent caught up yet then thats too bad really. Dont know how many times this has to be said.............visit a pro race forum and you will find out the result end of story.

I think this is a special case, as isn't the TV coverage a day late?

Strava is not Zen.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Ace journalist Lionel Birnie has written a succint piece on the unwritten rules:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... loton.html
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,869
    Kléber wrote:
    Ace journalist Lionel Birnie has written a succint piece on the unwritten rules:

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/lat ... loton.html

on reflection I think i would need to see the stage

this attacking in the feed zone was not on either....
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95 wrote:
    The thing is, while some DS's might not like this, I don't imagine the riders give a damn who Wiggins or Swift ride for, or how they ended up there. It's got no effect on them. A lot would probably like to be bought out of their contracts themselves.

But it does have an effect on riders. If you are a Garmin, BMC, Cervelo, Saur-Sojasun, Katusha or Vaconsoleil rider you may be hoping to ride the Tour, but in order to do so your team will need to be invited. If, by recruiting Wiggins, Sky are invited but your team isn't, you are going to be a bit p1ssed off...
    interview.cyclingfever.com
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    I read Hammond's comments in that article and they seemed fair enough.

He didn't sound bitter. Just pointing out the way things happened. Sky can't pick and choose which of the understood rules they want to observe when they are breaking other ones.

Sounds like it's just another wee lesson that EBH can learn. Was a bit late in the day to be expecting people to wait on you.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • BdeB
    BdeB Posts: 110
    It is interesting that Cervelo seem to be prominant in the anti sky riding. It strikes me that if they are both at the TDF then Sky could do a great deal of damage to Cervelo's chances of regaining the green jersey. Neither team can rival Cav for stage wins but sky could make it difficult for Hushov to pick up the points he did last year either by grabbing seconds or having the type of riders who could chase down any attempted break by Thor. Makes for interesting sub plots.