Earphones and Race Insurance

Shaved Legs
Shaved Legs Posts: 12
edited March 2010 in Amateur race
One of our club members was questioning the use of earphones (to listen music) while taking part in a club confined time trial. His argument was that if the rider was involved in an accident that the other party could claim the rider was at fault (obviously within reason) for not being fully aware of what was going on around him. The implication being that the rider and/or the club become liable for any damage to the 3rd party, or the 3rd party gets away with any injury/damage to the rider.

Now, I know we could argue the rights and wrongs of wearing earphones while riding all day. It's probably not a great idea in general to cut down on any of your senses, but equally it makes a pretty small difference. If you wear an aero helmet that covers your ears the wind noise means you don't hear a lot anyway. What I'm interested in is the legal/insurance position when you're in a race.

As far as I know there is nothing specific in the BCF race rules to forbid it - does anyone know different? Also,does anyone know how your normal race insurance would view this?

Comments

• A club TT will almost certainly be under CTT and not BC regs. CTT regulation 19 states:

19. Awareness of Surroundings

1. Competitors must not wear head/earphones associated with audio equipment except hearing aids.
    2. Where head and/or eye protection is used, competitors must ensure that this does not impair their vision or hearing.

As you are required to sign on before events you sign to say that you understand the regulations - so the insurers would probably walk away from this.
  • Can't see you being allowed to start even in a club 10 wearing 'phones, definately against CTT regs.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    He's in Scotland - do the CTT cover Scotland ?

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • i have done only 1 tt without my tunes on. not been told to take them off by anyone. and ive done about 20 different cousrses. dont miss the countdown because they give you a visual one with fingers.
  • Sorry, should have said the club is in Scotland so it's not operating under CTT regulations.
  • I've only used earphones once in a race. Didn't make any difference to what I could hear in the way of traffic. I did find it more of an irritation and distraction rather than providing any motivation. Ended up pulling the plug before the end of the race as it was breaking my concentration.
  • GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    I suggest you speak to the insurers and make sure you get their answer in writing. They're slippery b'stards and will use any excuse to not have to pay for something.
  • It'll be under BC regs and I'm pretty sure earphones won't be allowed.
  • nolf
    nolf Posts: 1,287
    TBH I could understand it for a longer TT (get boring otherwise :wink: ) but for a road race, I find my brains busy enough anyway!

Music would just be incredibly distracting.
    "I hold it true, what'er befall;
    I feel it, when I sorrow most;
    'Tis better to have loved and lost;
    Than never to have loved at all."

Alfred Tennyson
  • What if the rider hits a car and the driver chooses to insure the race promoter for allowing the rider to race with headphones in?

Sounds silly, but there are similar parallels in other sports. In kayaking, I remember reading (factually correct) of a race promoter who was held liable for not stopping kayakers going through a particular waterway in a certain direction. They told the kayaker they shouldn't, but the advice was ignored and they were STILL sued successfully for not doing more.

e.g. if the rider wears headphones, one might argue that the organisers were negligent in not taking steps to enforce the regulations.

Just something to consider!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Before I got an aero helmet, I used to always listen to music in one ear while riding TTs. No one said not to.

With an aero helmet, I can't fit earphones in my ears due to the helmet covering the ear, etc.

Never wore earphones in a road race, although it would have been nice to have some tunes to listen to after I got dropped and was riding on my own. 8)
  • Just reading in Procycling this morning that Henrich Hausler rode his first Paris Rouabix listening to music through a set of headphones. Said it wasn't much help as he was in too much pain :D