ARRRRGGGGH! dilema!

joshtp
joshtp Posts: 3,966
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Basicly i want new forks. Not there is anything wrong with my 44's, but for some unknown reason i really wat pike's/rev's/140mm recons/fox's (of any kind)/Pace's/dt swiss's/magura's/maniou's (on second thoughts, maybe not manitou..............
i really dont mind what i get, but light, stiff and smooth are the priority's, so idealy a rev or pike, or magura thor (?)

due to my skint-ness second hand is the only way

but zocchi being zocchi my fork has a 15mm axel, so unless i get a nearly new fox i also need a new hub, which in reality means a new wheel, seen as my current one isnt very good and id like something lighter anyway......

the issue is that new wheels and new forks at the same time is a bit of a wad.......
so. the dilema is do i.....
wait for ages to save for both (not prefered) although if i get £150 - £200 for my current forks and £100 - £150 for my current wheels + like £100 savings (im only 14, and my income is a crubmy paper round, cash is hard to find...) it may be viable....?

get new wheels that have a interchangable hub and when i get new forks get the adapter, but that would (basicly) mean a Hope pro 2, which is hugely expensive.....

get new forks that take a standard QR and pop some old wheels in for now untill i can get some new wheels which will be cheap becouse they are standard QR, but ill lose that lovely stiff-ness and beef that iv come to love from the thru axel.

WHAT DO I DO?!?!?!
I like bikes and stuff

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    there are more hubs than hope that will fit Qr/15/20mm axles.

what is the current front hub?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Your screwed.. sit back and wait
  • NAh seriously,

i would tend to weight and sort them as a package so all will continue to work well.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    NAh seriously,

i would tend to weight and sort them as a package so all will continue to work well.

is that a long weight or a short one?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • joshtp
    yeah, waiting might be the best option....
    my current front hub is a cheapo Formula one which cannot be converted to 20mm
    its not just that there is no adaptor (this isnt a problem anyway, i have a friend with a machine shop...) its that there physicly isnt enough room in the bearings for a 20mm axel.... sleve, no matter how thin it is....

i have been wanting to build my own wheels for a while, and have just spoted the superstar switch front hub £35 and is fully switchable...
    any thoughts?
    I like bikes and stuff
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    nicklouse wrote:
    NAh seriously,

is that a long weight or a short one?

I got a long weight at the tartan paint shop.

Josh, as you say, there's nothing wrong with your forks. So why cause problems by rushing to change them?

Maybe get a superstar front wheel with the changeable hub for now, and change forks in the future. I think you might be expecting too much from the sale of your old wheels and forks though.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Good spot Nick. been doing that all day.. I think i need more paracetamol.

Sent a mail of to denmark head office today saying aloud instead of allowed useless!
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    bails87 wrote:
    Maybe get a superstar front wheel with the changeable hub for now, and change forks in the future. I think you might be expecting too much from the sale of your old wheels and forks though.

Definitely for the wheels. Building your own wheel will be more expensive than you think too - have you seen the retail price of spokes lately :shock: They make some pre-built wheels look like a really good proposition.

Front wheel could be a good first step towards your longer term goal though.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It's pretty awkward this tbh. Wheels with adaptor hubs are always a good investment though. Shame you're stuck with 15mm, that's the most awkward size really. I think stick with what you have and then change it all at once if you can. It's not like there's anything wrong with what you have. I don't suppose there's any chance of modifying the hub you have?

Look on the bright side, when I was your age I had a totally rigid carrera mtb with a flexstem ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • joshtp
    Northwind
    :lol:
    but yeah, thanks guyes and gals.... i kinda figured thats would be the conclusion... and no my current hub absolutely cannot be mod-ed...
    i spose i better get saving........
    I like bikes and stuff
  • joshtp
    OK,here's the plan..... im gonna buy a QR fork and QR wheels with a front hub that can be converted to maxxle. this way i get the new wheels alot cheaper, and i get the forks alot cheaper.... everyone is a winner, and i can always upgrade to a fat axeled fork in the future......

im not that heavy, and im sure ill get used to the flex.....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • bails87

You might not even notice any flex.

If you're comparing your current forks with rubbish ones which happened to have a QR, there's a fair chance the fact they were rubbish contibuted to the flex more than the QR. Of course, you might have gone from Toras to the Zocchis, I don't know.
    MTB/CX

• Northwind

The difference between my 130mm quick release revelations and 140mm maxle ones is tiny, everyone bangs on about how stiff maxles are but tbh I stopped noticing the distance after about 5 minutes. Maybe I'm just not hardcore enough :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    I'd wait until i could get both maxle ones, instead of getting crummy qr ones
  • bails87
    Seriously, what are everyones QRs made of?
    1052_MEDIUM.jpg
    ?
    MTB/CX

• We talking about QR through axles or just normal QR skewers, cos the axles are way way way stiffer than the normal QR skewers
  • bails87
    Northwind wrote:
    The difference between my 130mm quick release revelations and 140mm maxle ones is tiny,
    MTB/CX

• joshtp
    well, thanks for all the opinions.....
    iv been looking arouns and Merlin custom builds come to aproxx £140 for a slx rear, pro 2 front, on DT spokes and 317 rims.
    although the 717 rims are nice, the 317'sa re good and this way i get my cake and eat it........
    what you think?
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Are the SLX hubs sealed bearings or cup/cone affairs?
  • jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    bails87 wrote:
    Seriously, what are everyones QRs made of?
    1052_MEDIUM.jpg
    ?
    mmmmmmmmm...pasta carbanara :D
  • Northwind
    well, thanks for all the opinions.....
    iv been looking arouns and Merlin custom builds come to aproxx £140 for a slx rear, pro 2 front, on DT spokes and 317 rims.
    although the 717 rims are nice, the 317'sa re good and this way i get my cake and eat it........
    what you think?

I think that if you're riding hard enough to want a 140mm fork with a maxle, you don't want 717s, they're tough for what they are but they're still skinny XC rims. Mine held up well but then I weigh as much as a bag of sugar. Nothing wrong with the rest of your list though. Pro 2 front seems a good call.

Another option might be Superstar, their Switch hubs seem really good. Not sure how far I trust the product myself, it still seems fairly untested by real world users (ie, us) but still.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • It's probably not the answer you want but why not start saving for next year? As 15/20mm axles become more commonplace prices will drop massively, not to mention your increased likelyhood of finding something in the sale...

Don't spend your money just for the sake of it - if you know that by the end of the year you'll still lust after a 15/20mm axle fork and wheels there's no point...

Your bike's obviously running ok...

James
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    Sorry if this has already been asked, but what's wrong with your current set up?
    If it works then i'd leave it as is untill you have the cash to make a significant change, or untill something busts.
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity