Race of Truth aka what rear wheel for TTing

Tom Butcher
Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
edited February 2010 in Amateur race
Decided to have a go at some TTing this year.

Have a TT bike but need some decent wheels. Options are:
- Use existing Corima Aeros but with a shiftmate on the back to convert from campag to shimano.
- use existing Open Pro/Dura Ace wheel with wheel covers and Corima Aero front - cost - whatever disc wheel covers cost.
- Buy cheap deep section shimano rear
- Buy cheap (it's all relative) shimano disc

Any opinions ? Are wheel covers any good - I've read they are not that far off the performance of a disc. Cheapest would be a shiftmate on the bike and use the corimas.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    The HED three spoke wheels seem like a good buy to me. Not outrageously expensive
    and you can use them for "just riding around". I have a rear one, it's been no problem and I slap it on the bike on occasion for a month or two just to use up the tire(get my moneys worth out of it). They are supposed to be the most aero wheel this side of a disc.
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    It really does depend on your budget, if you can afford a disc wheel, then this is the best option, if not get at least a 50mm deep rear.

You can try a wheel cover, they probably don't cost much, I haven't tried one, or seen any data to say if they are any good or not, but if you are on a budget it is at least worth a try.

One thing not to over look, if you have aero wheels, but wear normal jersey's for TTing, you are doing yourself a dis-service, if you haven't already got one I would get a skinsuit as well. Much more aero than a normal jersey.
  • Got a pointy hat? If not, get a 2nd hand one for max £50 and stick with the Corimas. If it were me, I'd run my shifters in friction mode rather than use a shift-mate tho. (assuming shimano shifter of course)

Matt
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Yeah got an aero hat - cheap one off a mate though so doubt it's cutting edge - and bought a skinsuit. Friction mode is a fair shout - might give that a go should work OK in a TT.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    Yeah got an aero hat - cheap one off a mate though so doubt it's cutting edge - and bought a skinsuit. Friction mode is a fair shout - might give that a go should work OK in a TT.
    You'll be absolutely fine with friction mode,going to index wouldn't make the bike any faster.
    Re wheels.why not ride what you've got & see what sort of times you do/placings you achieve,& then consider upgrading if you enjoy it?
    you can drop on some excellent value second hand wheels on some of the forums
    so many cols,so little time!
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    If you are lucky - and have a friend/clubmate that will loan you their disc wheel for a TT - try it out and see if it helps. I did last year and decided to purchase one over the winter. The disc worked well for me and it was worth the investment.

Previously I was using a Zipp 808 rear and ZIpp 404 front.

But as mentioned - all those other little things can help - from a good aero helmet to shoe covers to a skinsuit and of course - good bike position. For me, the disc wheel was the final purchase - but also the most expensive.

Can't wait for this year's season to get out there are ride it!