turbo trainers/mtb tyres??

freeride-mike
freeride-mike Posts: 553
edited February 2010 in MTB general
hi im after a bit of help...... im thinking of getting a turbo trainer as im not getting out on my bike as much as i'd like too due to work and weather etc so im thinking of buying a turbo trainer, Ive noticed that on some of them they say a smooth tyre is needed and was wondering does any1 use mtb tyres on there's and other than the noise is there any other problems i may encounter??? i dont fancy changing my rear tyre all the time or buying a spare back wheel?? :?

thanks
mike
CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build

Comments

• CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    You will get bad vibrations through the bike, the tyre will wear fast too due to the heat generated plus you'll get tyre slippage too. I don't know what effects thgis will have the tubro trainer itself.
  • Continental do a MTB trainer tyre, I'm expecting one in the next few days from Wiggle, to hook up my better half's Saracen Zena2 onto my Elite mag turbo, getting her trained up for riding over at least spring and summer! :twisted:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • There is one turbo trainer that works on the rim rather than the tyre -
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/min ... r-ec005680

I have a different model - works fine & off turbo and straight off road.

Mike
  • was hoping to get 1 on a budget from good old ebay but looks like either way im gonna have to spend a bit so mite have to get a cheap and cheerful back wheel + tyre for the trainer.

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    i have 2 cycleops tt the one at the missus house i use my old mtb with knoblies and the one here i tend to use my road bike on on slicks.
    i have to say i get more slip off the slick than i do off the knobblie.. as for tyre wear yeah it will wear but i had my old vertex on the tt for 2 and a half years now use it regular sometime everyday of the week (when i am at the missus house) and it still got plenty life in it.. and as for vibration you do get a little but it aint that bad, it is more the noise than anything...
  • delcol wrote:
    i have 2 cycleops tt the one at the missus house i use my old mtb with knoblies and the one here i tend to use my road bike on on slicks.
    i have to say i get more slip off the slick than i do off the knobblie.. as for tyre wear yeah it will wear but i had my old vertex on the tt for 2 and a half years now use it regular sometime everyday of the week (when i am at the missus house) and it still got plenty life in it.. and as for vibration you do get a little but it aint that bad, it is more the noise than anything...

thanks for that, the noise doesnt bother me proberly have the ipod on anyway lol :wink:

• I used my turbo with a Conti race king only to find it started to shred it at higher rpm/resistance. Left lots of tiny bits of rubber across the floor! I bought a specific turbo tyre which is much better. Would recommend getting a spare rear wheel as changing the tyre it regularly would be a pain and probably make you use the turbo less (I'm looking to pick up another cassette soon for this reason) - just make sure you put a pad spacer in your disc brakes as otherwise you'll accidentally close them up at some point!

D'oh! :oops:

James
  • slimboyjim wrote:
    I used my turbo with a Conti race king only to find it started to shred it at higher rpm/resistance. Left lots of tiny bits of rubber across the floor! I bought a specific turbo tyre which is much better. Would recommend getting a spare rear wheel as changing the tyre it regularly would be a pain and probably make you use the turbo less (I'm looking to pick up another cassette soon for this reason) - just make sure you put a pad spacer in your disc brakes as otherwise you'll accidentally close them up at some point!

D'oh! :oops:

James

i have v brakes so not a problem :wink:

• passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Get a conti training tyre it will last MUCH longer than a regular tyre on a trainer.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • I've got the same bike as you (Boulder) and use it on my Tacx cheapy rollers with oe tyres. 3/4 hour and I've had it. Even bought magnetic resistance attachment, not bothered fitting

MTB tyres quite noisy, but fine

ATB

Simon
  • bobpzero
    bobpzero Posts: 1,431
    passout wrote:
    Get a conti training tyre it will last MUCH longer than a regular tyre on a trainer.

+1 also being 1.75 in size makes it quite easy to put on with one tyre lever. and +1 for crc getting theres in stock quicker than wiggle.