My bike hates me....

Really?!
Really?! Posts: 43
edited February 2010 in MTB general
I did a very bad thing, and left my bike all alone in the garage for about 3 months. Didn't even touch it once :oops:

I finally remembered about it at the weekend so took it out for a couple of blasts round the woods. All was going well until I tried to stop! I was expecting the brakes to be a little spongy until they'd been used a few times anyway, but the back brake is giving me real problems. If you use it a couple of times, the spongy effect goes and you don't have to press the lever hard at all, but if I fully release the brake and then reapply it, I need to pull on the lever until it almost touches the handlebars before it does anything.

The bikes a Rockhopper Comp Disc, by the way. And the front brake is pretty much bsck to how it was prior to me abandoning it! Any ideas on what's causing this, or do you reckon I just need to ride it out some more?

Cheers

Comments

• Bleed it
    Giant Reign - now sold :-(
    Rockhopper Pro - XC and commuting
    DH8 - New toy :-)
  • Yeah...bleed them.

Three months?!?!?! You should be ashamed!
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • Cheers for that, I'll attempt to do that at the weekend!

Three months?!?!?! You should be ashamed!

I am a little ashamed. I got back from holiday in Mexico at the start of November, and couldn't face riding around in the freezing cold!

Back on it now though, that's the main thing.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Really?!
    bleeding is one of the last things you should do.

first how far are the pads moving?

is the disc being moved by the pads?

to me it sounds more like poor set up.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    I thought mine needed bleeding the other day - they were fine the last time I'd ridden with them, then got to Afan, hopped on the bike and realised I could pull the front brake to the bar and hardly had any braking force. Whipped a new set of pads in and it was fine again.
  • Whipped a new set of pads in and it was fine again.

Do pads deteriorate when not being used then? I guess the cold and damp might have got to them.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    no they dont but his might have just worn out. or been contaminated.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    nicklouse wrote:
    Really?!
    bleeding is one of the last things you should do.

first how far are the pads moving?

is the disc being moved by the pads?

to me it sounds more like poor set up.
    +1 or sticky calliper.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty