Route Recommendations - Waterloo to Liverpool Street

OldSkoolKona
OldSkoolKona Posts: 655
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Righty, time to pick the mighty brain of route knowledge of the Communting Collective.

Mrs OSK's Brompton has just arrived (in all its purple glory 8) ) and she's looking at routes from Waterloo Station to Liverpool Street where she works. Its easy on the southbank, but any recommendations on what bridge to cross over on and then route from there to Liverpool Street? The more stress free the route the better.

Comments

• W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    How about over Waterloo bridge, follow the Aldwhych around, past the Royal Courts of Justice, down Fleet Street, accross Ludgate Circus and past St Pauls, down to Bank and filter left onto Moorgate, past London Wall and turn right towards Liverpool St?

All fairly minor roads if that's what she's trying to avoid. I'd say the worst bit would be around Aldwych.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Another option is along Embankment, left at the lights just before the slip road up to Blackfriars roundabout, through John Carpenter St or something, left up Whitefriars St, then right on to Fleet Street (I admit, it's not ideal, but you avoid Aldwych and the pinch points after the RCJ on Strand - agree with W1 about Aldwych; not my favourite bit), and then follow W1's route. I'd avoid Bishopsgate heading northbound - peds stepping out all over the shop.

Tbh, I prefer the route all the way along Embankment because there are less peds and it's less stop/start (less lights)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,417
    I used to come in past Waterloo and end up just east of Bunhill (not far from Liverpool Street. I used to like round the IMAX into Stafford Street, Southwark Street, round onto London Bridge, right into Gracechurch Street and then up Bishopsgate. The last bit can get very clogged though.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Interesting, hadn't thought of going straight across on Waterloo Bridge.

Agree that Embankment is good, and when going in all the way from Richmond, that is the route we've done in the past. Thought it would be nice to stay on the Southbank though as it is a little less hectic, then come up over Blackfriars Bridge and past Mansion House..

Will have a look at Street View
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    i'd cycle on the thames path, then cross at southwark bridge - but i have to say, whether you cross there or london bridge, it's hard to find a really quiet route in the city.....
  • PBo wrote:
    i'd cycle on the thames path, then cross at southwark bridge - but i have to say, whether you cross there or london bridge, it's hard to find a really quiet route in the city.....
    Less about having a quiet route, just one that minimises left hooking junctions, black spots etc
  • cjcp
    PBo wrote:
    Less about having a quiet route, just one that minimises left hooking junctions, black spots etc

If you're heading along the Southbank, I'd be inclined to go over Southwark than Blackfriars.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cambs
    cambs Posts: 235
    cjcp wrote:
    Another option is along Embankment, left at the lights just before the slip road up to Blackfriars roundabout, through John Carpenter St or something, left up Whitefriars St, then right on to Fleet Street (I admit, it's not ideal, but you avoid Aldwych and the pinch points after the RCJ on Strand - agree with W1 about Aldwych; not my favourite bit), and then follow W1's route. I'd avoid Bishopsgate heading northbound - peds stepping out all over the shop.

Tbh, I prefer the route all the way along Embankment because there are less peds and it's less stop/start (less lights)

Not sure you can get on the Embankment from waterloo bridge without going round the Aldwych. My suggestion would be to follow Upper Ground from the station to Blackfriars bridge then right onto Queen Vic st, left up BlackFirars Ln > Ludgate Hill and follow earlier suggestion from St Pauls.
  • Thanks for the suggestions folks, I knew you wouldn't let me down :-)

I'm thinking the Upper Ground/Blackfriars Bridge/Queen Vic Street Route is best for starting out (also has the advantage of being doable in both directions)

In my trawls I found the following site which is really interesting. A bit quirky (still in Beta) but best of all it shows all drinking establishments along the way!!
    http://www.cyclestreets.net/journey/107949/
  • cjcp
    cambs wrote:
    cjcp wrote:

Not sure you can get on the Embankment from waterloo bridge without going round the Aldwych. My suggestion would be to follow Upper Ground from the station to Blackfriars bridge then right onto Queen Vic st, left up BlackFirars Ln > Ludgate Hill and follow earlier suggestion from St Pauls.

Hmm. Good point. :lol:

Ah, I know: bunny hop off the Bridge! Simples! :D
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    I understand (though haven't done it) that Blackfriars can be a bit hair raising. Also Bishiopsgate is horrible chaos, hate it. The thing about the route I suggested is that (apart from Aldwych) it's fairly slow (no offence to your OH, but a lady on a folder won't be scalping many roadies). There are plenty of turns on and off the route, but I used to go this way all the time and found it generally OK and quite wide for most of it.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Thanks for the suggestions folks, I knew you wouldn't let me down :-)

I'm thinking the Upper Ground/Blackfriars Bridge/Queen Vic Street Route is best for starting out (also has the advantage of being doable in both directions)

In my trawls I found the following site which is really interesting. A bit quirky (still in Beta) but best of all it shows all drinking establishments along the way!!
    http://www.cyclestreets.net/journey/107949/

It looks promising, and as well as pubs shows bike shops and the wiggliness (?) of the route :D

Did a quick test on my commute and the route is almost exactly what I tend to do, and the variations are all reasonable.

To your original question - I would go the Southwark Bridge option too.
  • Cut through to the southbank by coming out onto Waterloo Rd, cross over and go down Sandell st, left at the end along Cornwall Rd all the way to Upper Ground; left through Jubilee shopping bit and onto southbank. Along the southbank path to the Wobbly Bridge. Cross here and keep going north up to Carter Lane & Cannon St. Then it's a bit of a zig zag job to Liverpool St.
    Vespa GTS 300 most days... Trek 7.7FX the rest
  • My route (also on a Brompton) was

Cycle lane from central exit of Waterolo to York Road
    Turn Right onto York Road & go straight across roundabout (past IMAX) onto Stamford St

Straight across Blackfriars Street at the lights
    Left onto Sumner Road & follow round to Soutwark Bridge Road - There's a barrier across Sumner road , but you can walk bike past this
    Across Southwark Bridge & continue straight across lights up Queen Street
    (cycles ARE allowed here) , across Cannon Street then turn right onto Q Victoria St
    Straight across at Bank onto Threadneedle street & then left onto Old Broad Street

It's 18 months since I moved office, so I don;t know if this would sttill work.

Mike

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/390316
  • And just to say, if the train stops at Vauxhall, it's not a bad idea to get off there instead. Cross over the lights to the MI6 building, along the bus lane on the southside towards Lambeth Bridge and hop on the pavement before the bridge to take the southbank path to the wobbly bridge etc...
    Vespa GTS 300 most days... Trek 7.7FX the rest
  • I go along the Cut, up Union Street, left onto Southwark Bridge Road, over the bridge, straight on up Queen Street, over Cheapside to King Street, right on Gresham Street, left onto Moorgate then right down Finsbury Circus or Eldon Street to Liv Street.

Might help...
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    Any suggestions about where to park at Liverpool Street? Going to be getting there at 5:30pm.
  • WesternWay
    WesternWay Posts: 564
    I would definitely advise against going around Aldwych if you can avoid it, but coming back that way gets you across Waterloo Bridge going south, which is the best view in London in my opinion.
  • scoobers
    scoobers Posts: 364
    thelawnet wrote:
    Any suggestions about where to park at Liverpool Street? Going to be getting there at 5:30pm.
    There are 2 bike stores at the station, as far as I can see they are free. There's one that's undercover and one outside at the Bishopsgate entrance. You can get to the undercover one from the main concourse go down the side of platform 10 or use the taxi entrance in Primrose Street. You'll have to dismount and walk around the barrier.
  • womble88 wrote:
    I go along the Cut, up Union Street, left onto Southwark Bridge Road, over the bridge, straight on up Queen Street, over Cheapside to King Street, right on Gresham Street, left onto Moorgate then right down Finsbury Circus or Eldon Street to Liv Street.

Might help...

I'd do this, but carry on to London Bridge, cross there, fork right at the northside junction, and follow that to Liverpool Street.

The map shows going north over Waterloo Bridge to be a quite bid detour off the crow's flight.

This thread sounds like a bunch of cabbies in a pub...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Greg66 wrote:
    This thread sounds like a bunch of cabbies in a pub...
    :lol: Hilarious

Mrs OSK is now fully into the commute, takes Blackfriars Bridge route. Already comes home telling of her scalps :shock:
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    You'll have to get her to join us. Would be nice to hear about scalping from a burd's perspective :wink:
  • Cafewanda wrote:
    You'll have to get her to join us. Would be nice to hear about scalping from a burd's perspective :wink:
    Haha, need at least one of to be productive and not spend half their life on here :-)

It is interesting, seeing things from her perspective - buying a bike, how women are treated in bike shops, fears around commuting to work, perceptions about cycling safely, cycle training, etc.

Overall, the real pleasure she gets from cycling to work and not having to get the tube/bus is great. Its such a shame so many women are put off by many of the perceived barriers.