Garmin died

Oddjob62
Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Garhhh!! :evil:

My 705 has gone pear shaped.... looks like i'm gonna have to RMA it :( Anyone know how quick Garmin are with returns?

Going to have to dig out my old 305 in the meantime
As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)

Comments

• flamite
    flamite Posts: 269
    seriously considering getting a 705, never had a garmin before... just trying to justify it to myself!!
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Mr Job, what happened to it? (Had mine for 2 years with nary a problem. The maps are getting a bit out of date, though)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Garhhh!! :evil:

My 705 has gone pear shaped.... looks like i'm gonna have to RMA it :( Anyone know how quick Garmin are with returns?

Going to have to dig out my old 305 in the meantime

What happened have you tried soft and hard resets?
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Oddjob62
    JonGinge wrote:
    Mr Job, what happened to it? (Had mine for 2 years with nary a problem. The maps are getting a bit out of date, though)

Keys just stop working from time to time. It seems that maybe the joystick gets stuck in a certain position (although it seems to be in neutral) and so stops other keys from responding. I've reinstalled the firmware and done a few hard resets and it's sort of working, but the joystick sometiems moves 2 spaces when it should only move one, so i'm guessing it's not 100%.

RE maps: have a look here... http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_ ... n/Download

They are exported from Open Street Map and are free. I use them and they are pretty good.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    JonGinge wrote:

uh huh
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • jonginge
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

Keys just stop working from time to time. It seems that maybe the joystick gets stuck in a certain position (although it seems to be in neutral) and so stops other keys from responding. I've reinstalled the firmware and done a few hard resets and it's sort of working, but the joystick sometiems moves 2 spaces when it should only move one, so i'm guessing it's not 100%.

RE maps: have a look here... http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_ ... n/Download

They are exported from Open Street Map and are free. I use them and they are pretty good.
    Cool. Thanks for that. I'd heard of it ages ago but the coverage wasn't great at the time. Looks much better now. :) Which one do you use? (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/All_ ... Garmin_Map looks useful for Europe) Does it do address/postcode lookups for locations?
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonginge
    Clever Pun wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

uh huh
    :lol: One roundabout it got wrong. Beacon Rd we missed all by ourselves ;)
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Oddjob62
    JonGinge wrote:
    Cool. Thanks for that. I'd heard of it ages ago but the coverage wasn't great at the time. Looks much better now. :) Which one do you use? (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/All_ ... Garmin_Map looks useful for Europe) Does it do address/postcode lookups for locations?

I use the Talkytoaster one. Never use the search, so not sure how good it is, or how it compares to a "proper" paid for map.
  • No postcode search as yet.
  • mkirby
    mkirby Posts: 365
    I have sent my 705 back twice. Took them a while to aknowledge my support request (about 3 weeks the second time). Once i had posted it got it back in under 2 weeks both times i think.

Was not too long. touch would this one has been fine though it stopped recording the other day. Must remember not to use the stop/start buttons it dont seem to like it.
  • Oddjob62
    mkirby wrote:
    I have sent my 705 back twice. Took them a while to aknowledge my support request (about 3 weeks the second time). Once i had posted it got it back in under 2 weeks both times i think.

a month and a half without my 705??.... BAH!! :evil:
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    I sent my garmin off a few monday's ago due to an error with it connecting to any PC.
    got it back the next monday in working order.
    Can't complain.
  • Oddjob62
    Well how's that... been playing up all morning. This afternoon it's gone completely normal, just after i send an email to Garmin, and buy a cateye as a temporary measure while i have to send it off. Maybe it was some internal condensation or something that's now dried out (fingers crossed).
  • Oddjob62
    Just an update... There was something wrong with the device. The joystick stopped going up :(

Emailed Garmin for an RMA. Sent the device back last monday (8th), and a brand new device was sent to me on thursday (11th) :shock: Including all the extras (bar mount, HR monitor etc).

I have been a big fan of the 705 since buying it, and now i can safely say that (at least in my experience) Garmin support is very good as well.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    JonGinge wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:

uh huh
    :lol: One roundabout it got wrong. Beacon Rd we missed all by ourselves ;)

:lol:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Just an update... There was something wrong with the device. The joystick stopped going up :(

Emailed Garmin for an RMA. Sent the device back last monday (8th), and a brand new device was sent to me on thursday (11th) :shock: Including all the extras (bar mount, HR monitor etc).

I have been a big fan of the 705 since buying it, and now i can safely say that (at least in my experience) Garmin support is very good as well.

Yup +1 for support, mrs itboffin sent her forerunner back just before the great south run, a couple of days later a new newer better model arrived with all the extras, now thats customer service.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.