Yesterday I went to Epic Cycles and I.......(NEW THREAD!!!)

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Actually got somewhere this time :lol: (see http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12639793)

Four hours in the rain driving down from Leeds - got there just after 11. Another session on the turbo to warm up and check measurements from last time. Heating broken down so it was warmer outside than in!

First test ride - 14 miles of hills to Bromyard and back on a Look Optimum 585. First time on a light modern bike. Weighed less than a packet of crisps. Seemed to fly up the hills and comfy despite Chris' attempt to make the ride as harsh as possible so as to give more of a feel how I would feel after many miles in the saddle.

Then I repeated the 14 miles on a Scott CR1. That felt madly smooth and relaxed but, wierdly, it didn't seem to want to hurry me. I was happy to stay sat and just cruise. Except that the madly wide top tube clashed with my knees a bit.

Then another session on the Look. Now I see what DDD meant about how his Kuota charmed him. The Look just kept saying to me
Faster, faster - get out of the saddle you lazy git and make me move!
The CR1 just said
Scott CR1 wrote:
Take that Mr knobbly knees
Odd thing is, the Scott seemed to feel heavier – harder to climb, quicker to descend. I’m sure it isn’t though.

So, decision made. Maybe not so exciting as an Italian bike but then it is more French/ French Tunisian than most Italian bikes are Italian. Next stage was kitting it out. Not set in stone yet but the bike will be white – as per this: http://www.lookcycle.com/en/us/route/ca ... timum.html

It is a bit white (but the white is probably preferable to the black) but it will hopefully be calmed down with mostly black kit – Fizik saddle, black Campagnolo Centaur groupset (don’t need mine to go to eleven), carbon cranks, alloy derailleur (for some reason, I’m not keen on black derailleurs!) and light, Campagnolo neutron wheels (low profile because I don’t think aero will help me much).

I did try the Shimano gears (Tiagra and 105) on the test bikes but didn’t really like either so Campag it is. Hoods are shorter as well which suits me. Anyway, there you go; something a bit different and quirky and a good fit for me. Just checked the date on my B2W voucher and it was issued on 7th September – 5 months ago. And I posted the last thread with nearly this title around July I think. So it has been a long wait. I hope it is worth it.

I didn’t leave the shop til after 6. I got home at 20 to ten. So the day had taken over 14 and a half hours, involved 7 and a half hours driving (about 350 miles) and 42 miles of bike testing plus a re-fitting and time on the turbo. You get a good service at Epic……..
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    :) Congrats.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Congrats - glad to hear it worked out in the end!!

And glad to hear Epic getting another great review - I've lost count now of the number of people travelling long long distances to go there, coming away with a bike they didn't (quite) go to buy and still raving about the service - you don't get that too often!!

PS I know what you mean re the Scott CR1, but it was exactly that smoothness that sold me and my heart (and my C2W voucher!!)
  • rolf_f
    Forgot to add - the bike is specc'd, the voucher still seems valid so systems should be go for the next delivery but, with me and this order, anything that can go wrong, will......
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Thanks for the PM. Looking forward (excuse the unintentional pun) to seeing pics of the new beast. Why the 585 over the 566 (apart from weight)? I'd have gone to 11 I think, but nothing wrong with Centaur either, if Veloce's anything to go by.
    That 'omg this thing is light and fast, how can it be this comfy?' feeling is something, isn't it? The Magnifica's probably nearer the CR1 (or 566) in terms of ride and handling, which frankly suits me perfectly (I'm a bit of a twitchy & nervous rider so I'd rather have a steadier bike)- it might feel a bit safe for some, but it still makes you want to crank up the effort. IOW lapped (67 miles and umpteen climbs) in five hours rolling time in October, and I probably could have knocked a bit off that..
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    I got the Look 585 Elle last year (basically the same as the Optimum with a different paintjob). Lovely, lovely bike and you can really push it around the corners

Will be good to see another one out Leeds way ...
  • rolf_f
    StuAff wrote:
    Thanks for the PM. Looking forward (excuse the unintentional pun) to seeing pics of the new beast. Why the 585 over the 566 (apart from weight)? I'd have gone to 11 I think, but nothing wrong with Centaur either, if Veloce's anything to go by.
    That 'omg this thing is light and fast, how can it be this comfy?' feeling is something, isn't it? The Magnifica's probably nearer the CR1 (or 566) in terms of ride and handling, which frankly suits me perfectly (I'm a bit of a twitchy & nervous rider so I'd rather have a steadier bike)- it might feel a bit safe for some, but it still makes you want to crank up the effort. IOW lapped (67 miles and umpteen climbs) in five hours rolling time in October, and I probably could have knocked a bit off that..

Deposit now paid :D

Athena is an option but I wanted a more proven product - and I get Carbon finish for the same price!! Besides, can always upgrade in the future..... Several things wrong with the 566 for me - slightly longer geommetry, the 566 is another bike with a bonkers wide top tube, TdF heritage with the 585 is cool and also the 566 is (shock horror) Taiwanese :shock:

Besides, more twitch and nervous suits me - I have safe and steady in spades with my touring bike any time I need it :lol:. Furthermore, I think I prefer lugged frames to monocoques. (I think that is sufficient justification to spend an extra £500 on a frame!!)

Leedsmjh - whereabouts in Leeds are you? Always keen to hear about new routes!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,373

Dear Mr F

Apologies firstly that our normal service levels have dipped below expectations, unfortunately our sales advisor neglected to inform you that Look bikes require a running in period of 6 months at no more than 50 miles per month in order for the Carbon flange ends to bed in properly.

I hope this doesn't spoil your enjoyment of your purchase or your participation in any internet based commuter mileage stats league.

Yours

Epic
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    :) Well done.
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    Rolf F wrote:

North Leeds. I usually head for Otley then up to the reservoirs or Bolton Abbey way; or Thorner, Sicklinghall, Weeton circuit.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Rolf F wrote:

Deposit now paid :D

Athena is an option but I wanted a more proven product - and I get Carbon finish for the same price!! Besides, can always upgrade in the future..... Several things wrong with the 566 for me - slightly longer geommetry, the 566 is another bike with a bonkers wide top tube, TdF heritage with the 585 is cool and also the 566 is (shock horror) Taiwanese :shock:

Besides, more twitch and nervous suits me - I have safe and steady in spades with my touring bike any time I need it :lol:. Furthermore, I think I prefer lugged frames to monocoques. (I think that is sufficient justification to spend an extra £500 on a frame!!)

You forgot the 585 looks better too (I know the 566 is a compact frame but it looks almost too slopey- the angles seem a lot steeper than a Magnfica). I'd be inclined to agree it's worth the £500!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • rolf_f
    leedsmjh wrote:
    North Leeds. I usually head for Otley then up to the reservoirs or Bolton Abbey way; or Thorner, Sicklinghall, Weeton circuit.

I'm more often heading towards Otley than any other route though mostly I chuck the bike in the back of the car and head off somewhere for variety. Maybe when I get my bike we can compare Looks :lol:
    StuAff wrote:
    You forgot the 585 looks better too (I know the 566 is a compact frame but it looks almost too slopey- the angles seem a lot steeper than a Magnfica). I'd be inclined to agree it's worth the £500!

Chris at Epic reckons the 566 looks progressively worse the bigger it gets. I think the 585 becomes less compact in the bigger sizes too but i think that suits the 585 and I prefer less compact frames. I think I'm going to end up with a fair bit of seat post showing as it is!