Garmin or smart phone?

2»

Comments

• symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Got the HTC Hero (or T-mobile G2 touch whatever) and it is no match for my 705. It's good when I need to find the street whatever when out and about and the new google map software I believe does incorporate turn by turn directions. camera is crap though but the new facebook app is great.

The 705 gives me cadence, HR, altitude, speed, position in a readily accessible format. PLus I can track my averages online on the Garmin connect site, which means I can see improvements in HR recovery.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • El Diego
    El Diego Posts: 440
    The iPhone bike computer app is amazing, unfortunately it has a bigger drawback than an elephant's foreskin - battery drains after 1 hour.

If only someone could invent some kind of dynamo charge kit...
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I would also be interested to know if the Garmins interfere with wireless computers, or vice versa, on the same bike, if anyone knows. I`ve got a wired computer and an edge 305 but would prefer wireless for my good bike.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    antfly wrote:
    I would also be interested to know if the Garmins interfere with wireless computers, or vice versa, on the same bike, if anyone knows. I`ve got a wired computer and an edge 305 but would prefer wireless for my good bike.

Wouldn't the Garmin be your bike computer, so why would you want a wireless one as well?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    El Diego wrote:
    The iPhone bike computer app is amazing, unfortunately it has a bigger drawback than an elephant's foreskin - battery drains after 1 hour.

If only someone could invent some kind of dynamo charge kit...
    this is what you need: e-werk.jpg

Review: http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... r-10-37410
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    antfly wrote:

Wouldn't the Garmin be your bike computer, so why would you want a wireless one as well?
    One stays permanently on the bike so records every pedal I take, like an odometer, the edge only comes with me on proper rides. The cheap wired one is also slightly more accurate.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    _Brun_ wrote:
    A 6/705 is good for 12+ hours on a single charge. Check the battery usage with gps enabled on any phone you're considering.

Definitely worth doing that. I tried iMapMyRide on my iPhone last year, and I took the battery from fully-charged to almost-empty in the space of a 20 mile ride (probably 90 minutes on the route I took). At that rate, it'd be no use for long rides.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Have the iPhone users tried Cyclemeter?

My commute is only 90 minutes and I reckon it uses around 30% of the battery so wouldn't be suitable for long rides but is amazing for £2.99
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    And I've just tried Endomondo for Android on my Hero - probably 10% in 30 mins?
  • Canny Jock wrote:
    I've just tried Endomondo for Android on my Hero

Isn't tech great! How else could we ever use statements like that!
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Canny Jock wrote:
    I've just tried Endomondo for Android on my Hero

Isn't tech great! How else could we ever use statements like that!

True, 2 years ago that would have been meaningless. To be honest its not much better now if you are a non-nerd.