SRAM X9 rear derailleur - spare parts

kenan
kenan Posts: 952
edited February 2010 in MTB general
I munched my hanger yeaterday and thought my derailleur was ok. However on inspection one of the screws for adjusting the reach is missing. Anyone know if I can get a spare part for this and where from?

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    chain reaction sell a lot of parts for derailleurs, if not, get onto SRAM about it, they should be able to send you one.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • if you have a selection of different sized bolts, you will able to find one that can be used to replace the limit screw

the limit screw has a steel spring (black square) that the normal limit screw is mounted into

in the past, I have removed this spring when the bolt has gone missing, and used a slightly larger bolt, threaded directly into the derailleur's aluminium body, by carefully using pressure with an allen key on the bolt to cut a thread into this hole, and then screw the bolt down to the required depth

done this many times on different X-9 mechs, and no problems to report
    Call 01372 476 969 for more information on UK\'s leading freeride park - Esher Shore www.eshershore.com
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    If you get stuck, pm me and I'll send you one. I've got 3 smashed X9's in the garage.

SRAM take the piss with spares. All my broken mech's have smashed cages (plastic on the super short) you'd think two bits of moulded plastic would be pennies. But they're about £15 cheaper than buying a whole new mech.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    kenan wrote:
    Anyone know if I can get a spare part for this and where from?

LBS might be able to give you a free one, or at a nominal fee.
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    P-Jay wrote:
    If you get stuck, pm me and I'll send you one. I've got 3 smashed X9's in the garage.

SRAM take the wee-wee with spares. All my broken mech's have smashed cages (plastic on the super short) you'd think two bits of moulded plastic would be pennies. But they're about £15 cheaper than buying a whole new mech.
    PM sent to take you up on your kind offer.

Thanks for all the replies, a few ideas to try. Wife would kill me if I had to buy something else for the bike as I only just purchased another bike ;)