Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    mudcovered wrote:
    Stuey01 wrote:
    Pricing up XTR:
    Cassette: £111
    Rear Derailleur: £150
    Chain: £30
    Total: £291

Add in your £200 for shock tuning and it doesn't look like such an unreasonable price anymore. And i'm using discounted online prices.
    :shock: I'd forgotten about the robbery prices charged for XTR/X0.

Mike
    That's why I run SLX and XT :D
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • iPete wrote:
    Have I just found good reason to get a winter hack? :lol:

NO

You've completely failed to grasp the concept.

The bike you already own becomes the winter hack.

You want a good bike now. To be known as the summer or dry bike.

This good bike then becomes the hack and the circle is complete
    I take a similar approach to trousers.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Eff me! Even Dick Turpin wore a mask.
    LMAO!!!

That said I just went to Evans (puncture) needed a warm place to change the tube. Guy took a look at my drivetrain and said I may need a new one :shock:

thing is he did have a point, can't see stuff lasting another winter, especially as I haven't cleaned the bike since September Last year maybe before.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    LMAO!!!

That said I just went to Evans (puncture) needed a warm place to change the tube. Guy took a look at my drivetrain and said I may need a new one :shock:

thing is he did have a point, can't see stuff lasting another winter, especially as I haven't cleaned the bike since September Last year maybe before.

You don't need a new drivetrain until your current one is not performing at an acceptable (to you) level.
    What he's done there is plant the seed of doubt in your mind. crafty. ignore it!
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    iPete wrote:
    hmmm lesson learned, find a better LBS or do it myself!

What makes things worse is that I could have done the cassette myself, I've got all the tools for this at home, I just panicked on the phone, in the same way you panic when you try and cancel a gym membership only for a hot receptionist to try and convince you its a bad idea, only it was a greasy bike mechanic called chris :lol:

Check your chain regulary for "stretch". Replace chain before it stretches too much and you don't have to replace the block.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Stuey01 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    LMAO!!!

You don't need a new drivetrain until your current one is not performing at an acceptable (to you) level.
    What he's done there is plant the seed of doubt in your mind. crafty. ignore it!

Yeah ignore him and give the bike a proper clean dammit, where is your self respect?

Bloody kids.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    haha, best get saving for my 'summer bike'!

So it wasn't sooo bad in the end, i'll deffo be making a follow up for it to be tweaked free of charge & they weren't cheeky enough to charge for labour on the other fittings, so wasn't completely fleeced, not until I succumbed to a pair of altura night vision over shoes, god last nights rain was horrific! :lol: