Gloves

secretsam
secretsam Posts: 5,120
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
My DHB gloves never fitted properly and are falling apart, so need some nice warm-ish gloves, preferably with reflective bits and not too expensive - will use the end of winter sales to pick up a bargain

Recommendations please!

It's just a hill. Get over it.

Comments

• Can heartily recommend Castelli gloves - the Max Due are excellent, however wiggle don't seem to have them on sale like they did last year... I don't know that I'd pay £36 for them.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Gore Windstopper, £40 ones.

Keep in mind that 'Windstopper' is just a word and not a statement of quality (as comfy as the gloves are they're only good for weather above 5-7degrees and certainly not if there is rain or 'wind').

Still, because the gloves say Gore (Windstopper) everyone else will think two things:

1). You've got money and have spent it on 'the best'.

2). You must be warm and comfy because your gloves are 'Gore Windstopper's'.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Gore Windstopper, £40 ones.

Keep in mind that 'Windstopper' is just a word and not a statement of quality (as comfy as the gloves are they're only good for weather above 5-7degrees and certainly not if there is rain or 'wind').

Still, because the gloves say Gore (Windstopper) everyone else will think two things:

1). You've got money and have spent it on 'the best'.

2). You must be warm and comfy because your gloves are 'Gore Windstopper's'.

these ones? http://www.gorebikewear.co.uk/remote/Sa ... 722558058A

I have some and found they are too hot above 5degrees.....but last year I just used my summer gloves all year and didn't feel like i needed more heat, so maybe just some folk have colder hands than others.

A friend of mine has very cold mitts...even with big clip on bar muffs that he uses.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • I bought my current Winter gloves from Decathlon, they were £18 and to be honest are the best gloves I have ever owned...and i've been through a few over the years. They have various types, mine are the ones with a type of lycra wrist to them, nice and snug on a Winter morning under my jacket. They are comfortable, have good grip on the bars, look good, have a 'snot patch' (!) and have reflective patches and piping on them.
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    I'm still on the search for the perfect (for me) winter glove.

Things that I think are important for gloves:
    - windstopper, as I get joint pain when it's cold
    - quick drying for a comfortable journey home
    - hard wearing on the palm/thumb
    - not too thick
    - bit of padding on the palm (nice to have)
    - snot wipe (nice to have)

I've used Gore Xenon Windstoppers for all but deepest winter and they're great. In fact I used them for all but June/July because I liked them so much:
    http://www.gorebikewear.co.uk/remote/Satellite/PROD_GWXENN?landingid=1212722558058A#

They were so good I decided to get some Gore Tool gloves for winter, and have been really disappointed (bulky, not very warm; wore through quickly):
    http://www.gorebikewear.co.uk/remote/Satellite/PROD_GTOOLP?landingid=1212722558058A

I'm considering getting an oversized pair of Xenons and using inners.
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    R_T_A wrote:
    Things that I think are important for gloves:
    - windstopper, as I get joint pain when it's cold
    - quick drying for a comfortable journey home
    - hard wearing on the palm/thumb
    - not too thick
    - bit of padding on the palm (nice to have)
    - snot wipe (nice to have)

Am seeking just this combination of attributes. £40 for a pair of gloves is a lot of dosh, was thinking more £20-25, my ride isn't that long but I do like having the right kit that works

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    Ground Effect Chipolatas.

you have to wait for the post from NZ but they are fab and I think less than £20. They are not waterproof but keep water at bay quite well. Breathable and warm, good reviews.

http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/reviews/p ... &style=CHI
  • leedsmjh
    leedsmjh Posts: 196
    Ribble have got the Endura Tundra Winter Gloves for ~ £11 at the moment

They are definately warm and have lots of reflective bits
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,206
    Sealskinz MTB gloves work for me - waterproof, windproof and have reflective bits. Also have a long-ish cuff and good velcro closure to keep the rain from getting up your sleeves. About £25 from memory.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    leedsmjh wrote:
    Ribble have got the Endura Tundra Winter Gloves for ~ £11 at the moment

They are definately warm and have lots of reflective bits

I have Sealskinz merino gloves, which are OK but no reflectors. The other night I was following somebody wearing the Endura gloves and the reflective strips stood out well enough that I asked about the brand at the traffic lights. Would buy a pair.

All academic because it will be warm, sunny and Spring soon..... 8)
  • "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Can heartily recommend Castelli gloves - the Max Due are excellent, however wiggle don't seem to have them on sale like they did last year... I don't know that I'd pay £36 for them.

+1 I have a lovely warm pair - no idea which ones as they are a few years old, but they are super warm and kept my hands dry last night, and were completely dry when I went to put them on this am. Worth ever penny.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    Altura Night Vision gloves, around £20 from Evans IIRC. I thought they'd be cheap and nasty, but they've actually lasted really well, and are super-comfy. They come with a pair of inner gloves; outers on their own are fine down to about freezing, with the inners they were cosy down to -5.

Whatever you get, make sure they're not too tight; better slightly too big than slightly too small. Tight gloves will reduce your circulation => cold hands...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • El Diego
    El Diego Posts: 440
    I bought my current Winter gloves from Decathlon, they were £18 and to be honest are the best gloves I have ever owned...and i've been through a few over the years. They have various types, mine are the ones with a type of lycra wrist to them, nice and snug on a Winter morning under my jacket. They are comfortable, have good grip on the bars, look good, have a 'snot patch' (!) and have reflective patches and piping on them.

I got a pair of those for Xmas and have to say they are miles better than my Sealskinz, which whilst waterproof are not warm enough.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    my gloves...a pair of summer weight motorcycling gloves for during the winter months. keeps my hands warm, they're padded and the leather palms on them means if I fall off little or no damage to my hands.

cost, £25
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    And whatever you get, stick them on a radiator for 30 mins before you leave, makes a big difference!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    Canny Jock wrote:
    And whatever you get, stick them on a radiator for 30 mins before you leave, makes a big difference!

+1 Always disappointed when I forget to do this.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    Aguila wrote:

you have to wait for the post from NZ but they are fab and I think less than £20. They are not waterproof but keep water at bay quite well. Breathable and warm, good reviews.

I like most of the Ground Effect gear, and live in their merino tops but despite having high hopes I find the Chipolatas disappointing.

They are made in China rather than NZ, so clock up the air miles getting to you!

I ordered a medium based on their sizing recommendation, but whilst it fits around the hand, the fingers are too short when curled around the bars. Sadly I didn't discover this until I used them in earnest which was too late to return them!

The internal seams are very bulky such that they irritate my fingertips, possibly exasperated by the short fingers. I find my middle fingertips end up numb after only a few miles into the ride (not sure whether due to cold, or seam pressure).

The gloves are all black with a few grey bits which is reasonably stylish. BUT there is no reflective bits on them, so useless for signalling at night! Finally there is no snot wipe on them either, which is a shame.

So I can't recommend them!

Rufus.
  • just started with a pair of sealskinz 'all weather' gloves and very nice they are to.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    down to -3C mt DHB and Sealkinz are fine, but below that they get a little chilly. Tried my Gore Ski Gloves at -5C and found them too warm, and a little too thick for easy gear changes.

Still trying to get the perfect pair!!
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    RufusA wrote:
    Aguila wrote:

I like most of the Ground Effect gear, and live in their merino tops but despite having high hopes I find the Chipolatas disappointing.

They are made in China rather than NZ, so clock up the air miles getting to you!

I ordered a medium based on their sizing recommendation, but whilst it fits around the hand, the fingers are too short when curled around the bars. Sadly I didn't discover this until I used them in earnest which was too late to return them!

The internal seams are very bulky such that they irritate my fingertips, possibly exasperated by the short fingers. I find my middle fingertips end up numb after only a few miles into the ride (not sure whether due to cold, or seam pressure).

The gloves are all black with a few grey bits which is reasonably stylish. BUT there is no reflective bits on them, so useless for signalling at night! Finally there is no snot wipe on them either, which is a shame.

So I can't recommend them!

Rufus.

You must have a different year's to mine. Mine have a reflective strip down the little finger so they really stand out on indicating. The whole palm of mine is nice grippy material and the back is fleecy so ideal for snot/sweat.

As for the fit, well mine fit like a glove :lol: