Braces for non-bib tights

rjsterry
rjsterry Posts: 29,418
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Following on from my SCR post last night, I had a bit of an issue with my Altura Night Vision tights. Great visibility, nice and warm, but they do have a tendency to slip down slightly, and if I don't have them pulled up nice and snug, the edge seam of the chamois starts sawing away at my nether regions. Really not good, and I'm now regrretting not spending the extra on the bib version.

So I wonder if anyone knows of any suitable braces or shoulder straps kind of thing that I can add to the tights to keep everything in place? I have sen some tights with detachable straps, but not the straps on their own.
1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Just buy some cheap bib shorts to wear over the tights. It's what I do - helps keep me warm, too.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • hoolio
    hoolio Posts: 139
    I think you may have to just bite the bullet and shell out for some bibs!
    I use summer bibs with ronhill bikester tights over the top - not perfect, but the chamois will always stay in place and the tights don't seem to fall down.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    edited February 2010
    ...or buy some lycra and get your sewing kit out.
    For example*:
    http://www.fabric-world.com/Fabrics-Lyc ... 5865580510

* after an interesting google session :lol:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • trouser braces from a gentlemans outfitter?
  • rjsterry
    Thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea of the bib shorts, but this would then block out half of the Scotchlite (which was half the reason I bought them). Perhaps if I went for some quite high cut shorts that would work.

I really can't justify shelving these tights having spent £50 on them (not that expensive for bike gear I know, but still £50) and only had them a few months.

EDIT: Didn't see that one just then JG. Certainly sounds like a possibility, as I have access to a choice of sewing machines at home.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    hoolio wrote:
    I think you may have to just bite the bullet and shell out for some bibs!
    I use summer bibs with ronhill bikester tights over the top - not perfect, but the chamois will always stay in place and the tights don't seem to fall down.

Already did plenty of bullet-biting last night. Still a little sore.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestions. I like the idea of the bib shorts, but this would then block out half of the Scotchlite (which was half the reason I bought them). Perhaps if I went for some quite high cut shorts that would work.

Just be careful you don't go to high-cut and end up looking like a cold-weather version of Borat!! [Reddragon's avatar is already making me a little queasy!!]
  • rjsterry
    markshaw77 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Just be careful you don't go to high-cut and end up looking like a cold-weather version of Borat!! [Reddragon's avatar is already making me a little queasy!!]

I don't think there's an emoticon for this, but :shudder:
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I found this
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • rjsterry
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I found this
    :lol: :roll:
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I'm dizzy from all the clicking. Curse you, CP!
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    rjsterry wrote:
    EDIT: Didn't see that one just then JG. Certainly sounds like a possibility, as I have access to a choice of sewing machines at home.

Just make sure you use zig-zag stitch!
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • rjsterry
    sarajoy wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Just make sure you use zig-zag stitch!

Good point! Thanks for that.

I've already got Mrs RJS to modify my DHB Merstons: a little webbing strap and popper on each ankle to stop the zips undoing mid-ride.
    Pinnacle Monzonite