Chain repairs out on the trails

Stevo_666
Stevo_666 Posts: 61,105
edited February 2010 in MTB beginners
Oddly never thought about taking something with me before to fix chain problems while out riding :oops:

Apart from some spare links, what would I need/what should I take with me to cover myself for knackered links/broken chains? (within reason - and without carting too much metal around with me).

Cheers,
Steve.
"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]

Comments

• Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    links and a chain tool
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • Stevo_666
    I figured there is some sort of chain tool required, but you get any chain tool or do you need to match it to the make of chain or something?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Embarassingly I have a decent Crank Bros Multi-tool and there are a few things on there that I never figured what they were for, and never thought that one might be a chain extractor :roll: - I may already have one, best go check. In which case all I need is the links...

Thanks for that :)
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Your chain tool should look like this, if you have one...
    And in my opinion you'll only need the tool, spare link aren't
    necessary, you can always continue your riding with shorter chain.

7455-2.Jpg
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    A couple of spare links of chain can't hurt, they weigh nothing and take up no space.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Stevo_666
    Xtreem wrote:
    Your chain tool should look like this, if you have one...
    And in my opinion you'll only need the tool, spare link aren't
    necessary, you can always continue your riding with shorter chain.

7455-2.Jpg
    Got one - problem solved 8)