Seal Skinz socks - exactly how are they waterproof!?!?!

ashleymp777
ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Rode into work this morning in the torrential rain with my seal skinz on. When it came to take them off they were FULL of water inside the sock! :cry:

Ok, so my feet weren't that cold but I was left kinda confused to how they are labelled as 'waterproof'!?

Any ideas? Or am I missing something here?

Comments

• owenlars
    owenlars Posts: 719
    Did you have shorts on? If so it trickles down your leg. I suspect it trickles down your leg even if you have trousers on.
  • ashleymp777
    No had tights on which would have stopped a reasonable amount of the water I would have hoped.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I filled mine with water, and they held it all, so the material itself is waterproof. It must have run in through the massive hole in the top, their only weak point!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    Sounds like a daft question, but are they the right size?

Is the top of your sock quite loose around your ankle?

Mine is a good fit and does a very good job of keeping the water out. As pointed out above, when totally submerged, they'll fill with water so the material itself is waterproof. Sounds like its just running down your leg
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    tights on over the sock or the otherway round? Daft Q I know but I've seen others do that, it just funnels the water in.

I find them fine so long as I have decent tights (with a pretty close fitting zippered ankle) over the top of the sock it seals off the top.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • joec1
    joec1 Posts: 494
    I Use the "full calf" ones, so the sock goes right up my shin almost to my knee, then a leg warmer over the top of that to soak away the water over the top of them and down the outside.

to this day i have never had wet feet, even though i intentionally ride through the deep puddles :D

however i do occasionally get cold ones :)
    www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.
  • ashleymp777
    Mmm, now you've got me thinking. They certainly aren't too big for me and my tights were kinda over the top.

Well I hope it keeps raining so I can test them out on the way home.
  • maybe you have sweaty feet, or faulty socks.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    you mean you didn't do the 'bath test' as soon s you opened the pack of socks?

or was that just me :oops:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • ashleymp777
    maybe you have sweaty feet, or faulty socks.

Ha! Funny! Or faulty feet! :wink: Well, I'll see how i go tonight!
  • joking aside, if they're waterproof do they wick?
  • Yes they do, but they're merino lined, so they tend to hold a bit of moisture in them, but you shouldn't get cold.

However heat kills sealskinz really quickly, so no tumble drying or leaving on the radiator. The waterproof membrane separates then they don't seem to work nearly as well.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    maybe you have sweaty feet, or faulty socks.

Ha! Funny! Or faulty feet! :wink: Well, I'll see how i go tonight!

Good point, you sure it was water and not blood?!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    Mmm, now you've got me thinking. They certainly aren't too big for me and my tights were kinda over the top.

I have a solid 4" overlap between the tights and socks, plus they're winter Pearl Izumi Amfib tights, which are pretty water resistant on the front panel which may help.

and cee; yes, I think that was just you ;-)
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • cee
    and cee; yes, I think that was just you ;-)

Ah well.....

Mither always said I was gifted!
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • i've had my seal skins for a few months now and have been very unimpressed. i also find me feet get damp and very cold even with tights overlapping the top and a pair of standard riding socks underneath. they're better than standard socks alone but imo don't live up to their "waterproof" claims
    FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
    FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
    FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon
  • cee
    kona_matt wrote:
    i've had my seal skins for a few months now and have been very unimpressed. i also find me feet get damp and very cold even with tights overlapping the top and a pair of standard riding socks underneath. they're better than standard socks alone but imo don't live up to their "waterproof" claims

ahhhaaa....but have you done the 'bath test'! :wink:

H.G. Wells.
  • cee wrote:
    kona_matt wrote:
    i've had my seal skins for a few months now and have been very unimpressed. i also find me feet get damp and very cold even with tights overlapping the top and a pair of standard riding socks underneath. they're better than standard socks alone but imo don't live up to their "waterproof" claims

ahhhaaa....but have you done the 'bath test'! :wink:

well, no, i'll admit that i haven't. all i can say is that i was dissapointed with my seal skins.
    FCN 9 - 2008 Kona Cinder Cone
    FCN 9 - Custom Build On-One 456
    FCN 5 - 2010 Boardman Team Carbon
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Both my pairs of Sealskinzs are very waterproof, the problem is it's from both sides.

The first time I realised this was when hiking near Edale a deluge came down and with trousers tucked inside socks they filled up pretty quickly.

In heavy rain water tracks down the skin into them, I have long and short socks but it happens to both pairs now and again.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Sealskinz (I have socks and gloves) ARE fully waterproof, unless they are faulty - I killed a pair by putting them on a radiator, but Sealskinz replaced them with no quibble (they shouldn't have really).

Notwithstanding the very real issue of water entering through the arm or leghole, if your Sealskinz leak, they are probably faulty, so get a replacement, and as has been pointed out, it is quite easy to damage them if you deviate from the care instructions.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    kona_matt wrote:

Are you aware it's winter :lol: Get some winter socks under them, instead of regular riding socks, sealskinz do a well priced merino liner or go with woolie boolies or any number of other merino socks, that + sealskinz is good down to about -10.

Sealskinz by themselves are not warm, unless you get the lined winter one, in fact they're designed not to be.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    The old ones were useless.
    The newer lite wt ones are much better; Warmer, dryer, toasty/cosy!

Not totally waterproof but better than 2 pairs of normal socks.
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I think they are awsome, feet have always been 100% dry.
  • Chalky76
    Chalky76 Posts: 260
    mine are a few years old now and well used, and this morning they did not perform too well on the commute in, but my major gripe is that they are like wrapping your feet in cardboard! Accept maybe i should wear another pair of socks underneath but in this day of wicking this and super duper base layers that, i would have thought someone out there could produce a warm, waterproof sock that was fairly comfortable?

Anyone know of a decent alternative to sealskins?
    ride your bike like a kid whilst you still can

Transition Blindside = http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceychalk/5335403095/
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    You get the waterproofing from a ptfe membrane, this allows waterproofing, breathability and flexibility, this is what you get in this day of wicking/super duper etc. Mine have a merino inner and fit properly and are comfortable. I wear them all day, often.
  • I've found full merino is actually better.

Cycled through hub deep water on my way to hospital with my knee, feet soaked, sat in minor injuries for 3.5 hours and feet felt a bit squeltchy, but still warm.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    I find them too cold and sweaty. I wear woollen socks with silk sock liners dont mind getting wet as long as I am warm.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    edited February 2010
    THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE WARM! If they were, you couldn't wear them in summer. A thermal version is available, as are seperate liners, anyone wearing the standard ones and complaining that they're too cold hereby has their moaning rights rescinded. This is exactly like complaining because you bought a pair of boxers and they don't keep your knees warm.

Ah, I said no moaning!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I have been all over the moors around here now the snow has gone. wearing just sealskinz socks and a pair of lake boots and have to report that they kept the water out a treat. I dry them a little on a radiator too. When it was cold I wore the same combo and had toasty dry feet. Wore Humvee trousers when it was chilly and the last couple of weeks its been 3quarters.

Disclaimer. lake mx140 boots are a full UK size bigger to take thiker socks and help prevent circulation cutoff coldness. I am lucky that my feet and hands do tend to stay warm.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    I've had mine for 2 years and they are still waterproof. I don't put them in the washing machine unless I can help it though, and just wash them in water with no detergent.