SPD MTB Techniques.

sbadham
sbadham Posts: 8
edited February 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi all, yes it's another SPD question, but hopefully with a difference...

I've been reading and monitoring various SPD related posts for many months and one thing that I struggle with and doesn't seem to get discussed is some basic technique.

Sure, I know that I can now pull the pedals as well as push, but as an example I found that I could clip out when my leg was extended, but could never clip out when my foot was at the top of a pedal stroke.

This is really stupid, but my problem was that I was always clipping out by rotating my ankle OUT (which works when my leg is extended), but physically impossible when my leg was at the top of the pedal stroke. I only recently figured out that I could rotate my ankle IN when at the top of the pedal stroke to clip out - duh!

I'm quite happy using my SPD's when going on road rides, but there's lots of probably very basic mistakes that I think I'm making when I head out on the trails. Does anybody know of any documented basics for SPD use?

The key outstanding items for me at the moment are what to do when faced with a section of the trail that I find particularly tricky. This could range from basic low speed manoeuvring - should I stay clipped in? To a similar problem; what to do on a tricky ascent where it seems to be all or nothing, If I don't have enough momentum I'm probably going to come to a stand still and then I've got to clip out quickly or fall off (and have done on several occasions!). Should I just be attacking these sections harder and therefore carrying more momentum, or are other SPD users employing some other techniques.

Apologies if I have missed a previous post that covered these areas. I know some would probably say that I should stick with flats, but I really like the improved efficiency when using SPD's I'd just like to get over some of the difficulties.

Comments

• Pulling up is great for an extra burst of speed, but it is like an afterburner, quickly you cannot do it any more. Plus it really tightens your hip flexors.

For technical stuff and sharp climbs, always stay clipped in. The same for low speed manoeuvring. The most useful skill for using spds is the trackstand, as if you grind to a halt, you can pause before unclipping.

Also MTFU on climbs, attack as hard as you dare and pray you make it up.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    TBH, people alway say that they struggle to unclip fast enough when they grind to a halt on a climb, or if they are going really slowly on a tech bit, but iv only been on SPD's for about 3 months, and i never (and have never) failed to clip out. maybe i run my cleat tention below average, or something, but everything feels fine and dandy.
    i dcan ride certain bits and sections that i cant with flats if im clipped in.......
    I like bikes and stuff
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    sbadham wrote:
    This is really stupid, but my problem was that I was always clipping out by rotating my ankle OUT (which works when my leg is extended), but physically impossible when my leg was at the top of the pedal stroke. I only recently figured out that I could rotate my ankle IN when at the top of the pedal stroke to clip out - duh!

Maybe you are just thinking about it to much, after reading your post I thought to myself I don’t have a clue when I release or when I press in on the pedal stroke.
    sbadham wrote:
    The key outstanding items for me at the moment are what to do when faced with a section of the trail that I find particularly tricky. This could range from basic low speed manoeuvring - should I stay clipped in? To a similar problem; what to do on a tricky ascent where it seems to be all or nothing, If I don't have enough momentum I'm probably going to come to a stand still and then I've got to clip out quickly or fall off (and have done on several occasions!). Should I just be attacking these sections harder and therefore carrying more momentum, or are other SPD users employing some other techniques.

Again this is down to confidence as much as technique , there is no right or wrong just ride the way you feel is best for you.
  • Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. I'll certainly work on the trackstand, that makes a lot of sense. I've also spent a lot of time thinking about the areas that are causing problems and then, probably, having more difficulties on those sections as a result.

Hopefully once I get the trackstand sorted I'll be better prepared if and when things do go wrong.

Thanks again.
  • I have had clippless for a while now, you just get used to it after a bit, in a technical section i would clip out if I was nervous but if you just keep clipped in a bit longer each time it boosts your confidence and you soon forget about it. (if you do fall off you usually just clip out instinctively, if you pull really hard they come out anyway!)
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    I find it depends how often I've been riding clipless. I had a bit away from it and I'm not getting my feet out in time on some bits where I'm not cleaning a climb. A small, embarassing fall is good for the muscle and mental memory ;)
  • i usually stay clipped in for both ascending and descending but my local trail, i know what bits are where n when they come up i sometimes slow don n then clip out. Im going to work on these bits i cant do just yet and will hopefully get better at the more technical stuff. I had a fall and i cclipped out of my egg beaters fast without even trying to, they come out on a fall. Good luck.
  • KT1973
    KT1973 Posts: 93
    You get used to it and learn to pre-empt when you should unclip eg if the trail is slippery and your coming to a corner, going over slippery roots etc
    It becomes second nature (like riding a bike!) and I find that if I start thinking about pulling up on the pedal upstroke then I start to mess up the technique.
    I did fall off spectacularly quite a few times at first but you soon learn- in fact I got 200 yards up the road, came to a busy junction and fell sideways onto the road. Did the rest of my practising offroad after that.
  • richg1979
    richg1979 Posts: 1,087
    ive not been using spds for long, maybe about 6 months, everyone was goin on about keep falling over until you get used to them but its total crap, it came totaly natural to me and never remotely come to close to falling with spds.

only use the up pull on climbs and when you need the extra tourqe as its pretty obvious that pushing and pulling burns a lot more energy than just pushing
  • Dan_xz
    Dan_xz Posts: 130
    I guess much depends on the pedals too. I have speedplay frogs which I got for the float and zero resistance unclipping. Love those aspects enough to balance out the sliding (instead of stepping) into them to clip in.

However..they can only unclip outwards. For this reason I'm going to try out some shimano pedals with mutli release cleat as they seem the best for safe unclipping - just hope they are knee friendly enough!
  • Shimano pedals do seem to be the best for beginners as you can adjust the tension to suit. that is, when starting out make them really loose until your confidence builds and you get used to the action of clipping in and out and then tighten to suit

Tried Crank Bros which have only two non adjustable release angles and these can be a pain for a beginner as they are slightly harder to unclip from... or at least that's the experience of friends. Most of those who had regular falls, especially on up hill sections were using crank bros pedals whilst those of us who didn't generally fall had Shimanos

Both are good pedals though with different qualities

Stick with the SPDs they do become second nature after a while but of you just can’t be arsed with them any longer there is nothing wrong with flatties and in some aspects they offer better control…just look at the DH and freeride guys
    Enough bikes to open a bike shop but always room for one more...