stinky shoes

Rudd
Rudd Posts: 264
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
My cylcing shoes reek! too many days getting wet and then not being dried properly has resulted in shoes that frankly can be detected a mile away. In the interests of my fellow office dwellers does any one have any housewife hints on fumigation? someone once suggested cap nip to me....................

Comments

• solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    Living in the lakes this has been a problem for me, I find as good a solution as anything is to stuff with newpaper not only soaks up a fair bit of water they stop reeking the place out, well most of it anyway. :)
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    Can you take the insoles out and wash them? That makes a bit of a difference.

And I leave mine out in the garage :wink:
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Neutradol.

I'd recommend getting some good overshoes - BBB Hardwear Aqua or similar, where the neoprene is coated with a PU (rubbery) coating - keeps the water out.
  • I've heard that sprinkling a teaspoon of Bicarbonate of soda in each shoe really helps.

Mine smell of roses, mind.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    I take the insoles out and dunk the whole lot in a bowl of tepid (mmmm..... tepid) water with some washing powder in. Shake it about a bit every now and then, and rinse everything off (you'll end up with a soapy finish on your shoes otherwise). Stuff the shoes with an old newspaper (or even the Daily Mail) and leave them to drain.

Not quite as bad as they were...
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    My commute shoes used to stink - they're about 7 yrs old. Now, I give them a squirt of this http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Super-Deo ... 50ml_7702/ after I get to work. No more problem. :)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Burnt toast. Seriously. You should wash them in the washing machine first and then dry them quickly on a radiator. If they still smell then burn some toast on the grill, break it up and put in the shoes for a couple of days. Obviously remember to clean out the crumbs before next ride.

For future reference, always dry your shoes quickly (taking the insoles out helps) after a ride so that the nasty water loving mould/fungus (which is what smells) can't build up.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    IME there's not a lot you can do about this. Newspaper helps dry shoes out, neoprene overshoes help keep water out, but neither is completely effective. I used my neoprene overshoes this morning for example and my feet still got a bit wet as heavy rain and road spray always finds a way in. I've just had to get used to it. I keep my shoes with my bike in the basement at work and at home they live in the shed, again with the bike, so don't cause to much offence.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Oh yeah, it's totally minging (yay essex) putting on stinky shoes, not to mention ASBO-worthy! Round 'ere you'd have a fetching ankle tag for that behaviour :P

Defintiely newspaper to help them dry, but that's prevention rather than cure. An antibacterial, antifungal shoe spray (like the one Jon links) would be your best move, you need to kill the little bugs to stop the smell. Or invent an even nastier version of Yakult.

Spray the shoes and insoles separately if they're removable, leave them a while, and then give them a good scrub (inside and out) with fairy liquid and a small washing up brush/toothbrush.

Make sure they are completely dry before wearing them again, and then dry them with newspaper, wear overshoes and do all the other things to keep them as dry as possible.

Clearly this will prevent you wearing them for a couple of days.
  • Headhuunter
    Oh yeah, it's totally minging (yay essex) putting on stinky shoes, not to mention ASBO-worthy! Round 'ere you'd have a fetching ankle tag for that behaviour :P

Defintiely newspaper to help them dry, but that's prevention rather than cure. An antibacterial, antifungal shoe spray (like the one Jon links) would be your best move, you need to kill the little bugs to stop the smell. Or invent an even nastier version of Yakult.

Spray the shoes and insoles separately if they're removable, leave them a while, and then give them a good scrub (inside and out) with fairy liquid and a small washing up brush/toothbrush.

Make sure they are completely dry before wearing them again, and then dry them with newspaper, wear overshoes and do all the other things to keep them as dry as possible.

Problem is if it rains for a week non stop every morning or evening you soon get bored of that rigmarole. I just deal with it
  • Oh yeah, it's totally minging (yay essex) putting on stinky shoes, not to mention ASBO-worthy! Round 'ere you'd have a fetching ankle tag for that behaviour :P

Problem is if it rains for a week non stop every morning or evening you soon get bored of that rigmarole. I just deal with it

Ah, but once you've killed the smell you go back to stage one of unstinky shoes, so the spray and faster drying should prevent it returning.

Knocking out fellow cyclists with the chloroform-esque stench of your shoes is not cricket, y'know :P
  • Headhuunter
    Oh yeah, it's totally minging (yay essex) putting on stinky shoes, not to mention ASBO-worthy! Round 'ere you'd have a fetching ankle tag for that behaviour :P

Ah, but once you've killed the smell you go back to stage one of unstinky shoes, so the spray and faster drying should prevent it returning.

Knocking out fellow cyclists with the chloroform-esque stench of your shoes is not cricket, y'know :P

Hmmmm, perhaps I'll try that deodrant stuff sometime then. Must say that in bad weather my commuting cycling shoes really start to hum like a 100 year old stilton...
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    my solution...two pairs of shoes :D

just another excuse to go shopping ;)
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • NGale wrote:
    my solution...two pairs of shoes :D

just another excuse to go shopping ;)

It's a good plan, definitely, but I always find if I've 2 pairs there's one I prefer and will want to wear all the time... like my beloved sandals...