Giant Trance X4 - Setup issues

meso100
meso100 Posts: 58
edited August 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi

I got a 2010 Giant Trance X4 today and spent ages trying to set it up!

I read the instructions but I was still unclear about how to setup the rear suspension.

I thought I read that for every pound of my weight I needed to put in the equal amount of psi into the shock, plus 5% for air escape when the pump is removed. This didnt seem to sag as much as the manual stated so I reduced it from 220psi (I weigh 210lbs) to around 190psi. This seemed to sag as much as I needed.

I took the bike out on the road and the rear seems fine, but when I stood up to cycle fast the front forks (RS Tora) sag massively.

My questions are:

1. Are the front forks meant to do this and if not what do I do?
2. What psi should my rear shock actually be? (I will mostly be doing xc and some downhill as I live in a Valley)

Thanks for any guidance :)
2012 Canyon Torque Alpinist, Fox Factory 36 FIT Talas, FOX 5.0 DHX

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    forget the numbers.

Sag should be set in your normal riding position. so the attack position.

the rear again set the sag to what ever you need.

for get the 55 for loss it is bollocks.

take your pump with you on your rides as you WILL find you need to tweek until just right.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Thanks

So basically do what feels right and dont follow numbers?

This will work for the rear shock but dont think my front RS Tora is like the rear i.e. air shock.

The front has a rebound setting but it seems every setting I choose is very soft.
    2012 Canyon Torque Alpinist, Fox Factory 36 FIT Talas, FOX 5.0 DHX
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    meso100 wrote:
    Thanks

So basically do what feels right and dont follow numbers?

This will work for the rear shock but dont think my front RS Tora is like the rear i.e. air shock.

The front has a rebound setting but it seems every setting I choose is very soft.

The numbers are merely a guide (it allowed you to get to 190psi after a slight test and alteration) they are not set in stone as you have to factor in other things like if you're carrying extra weight like a heavy bag etc.
  • Lou_m
    Lou_m Posts: 97
    Hi, I have a Trance X1. Speaking with the Fox servicing agents Mojo, said to run your sag at 30% of the total shock travel. I found it made a massive difference as the suspension is nice and active. When climbing on really rocky and rooty sections the bike just flows over them. The tread on my back tyre is almost slick now but I haven't changed it yet as I can still ride up really technical sections that my friends cant make up with their mud/winter tyres on :D
  • hi

i also have recently just purchased a trance x4 and noticed the same problem with the front fork, seems to soft and is a bit of a nightmare on the climbs. i have the pre load set to max, which actually works really well downhill and has coped well. i contacted dales from where i got the bike and they suggested upgrading to a heavier spring for about £65 and also they could fit a pop lockout for about £125. think ill use the forks till they cant take anymore and then just upgrade them for i higher spec.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have the same (but shorter) tora fork on my Hardrock & I am about the same weight as you. The standard spring is far too soft for me. Other people I know with Tora's have had to change the spring.
    I am thinking of getting the Trance X3 or Possibly a Reign 2. Would you recomend the trance? the X3 does have a Fox air fork & shock which should cope with my weight better
  • underdog
    underdog Posts: 292
    This reason alone was why I went for a use X5 rather than a new (2010) X4, the air fork rather than spring.

In my opinion the place that sells you the bike should upgrade the spring free of charge if you provide your weight on purchase? If not then surely the company that make the shock should send you the right spring for your weight. This part of the MTB world seems poor to me.
  • WelshGiant
    WelshGiant Posts: 74
    I have a Giant x 4 aswell and i had it set up for my weight in the shop i bought it from and noticed after a few outings that the ride was rather bouncy so i borrowed a mates pump and put more air in and the bike now feels alot more stable. I think its better too just try different settings and see what suits you.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    At 210 pounds you'll def need a firmer spring than the forks come with
  • hairy_boy
    hairy_boy Posts: 345
    I am a similar weight and changed the Medium standard spring in my Toras to the Firm which I got from TFTuned (think it was £25/£30 or thereabouts) and very easy to fit - you just need a 22mm socket to get the top-cap off the left hand side of the fork to replace the spring.

The rockshox table suggested I would need X-Firm for my 92kg but got advice on here the Firm would be best and so it has proven - Firm is perfect for me and my Toras feel very 'sorted' now.
  • lexinoo
    lexinoo Posts: 132
    Hi having the same problem on my toras(on 2010 giant trance x4,they are white,120mm with no lockout)i was going to try and get a lockout added to the forks but i think i may try a stiffer spring first as it would be more cost effective and simpler(i think)Can anyone tell me how to tell which spring i currently have fitted???is it stamped with a number or anything?also,am i right in thinking that my forks have a spring only in the left hand side,?is there any oil in there at all?or is there oil only in the rhs?sorry for all the questions but i am a newbee to the sport and this suspension fork subject seems to be a mine field.There seems to be loads of different types of tora 302 forks ,with varying specifications and very little information out there.HHHEEEEELLP!