Handel bar damper

jako999
jako999 Posts: 26
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Hi all I'm new on this site and after a bit of help please I have a Marin bobcat that I have only been able to use the once this is because I injured my right arm (not on the Bike) about 12 months ago after treatment and then an op things are still not good I have limited use in my arm. I have searched around the net but unless I spend a couple of hundred pounds i can find no answer. I need some way of making handle bars stiff as I can only ride with my left arm most of the time, I only ride for pleasure in the woods sometimes so don't need anything to flash. I know there are people out there with one arm but they then have a prosthetic arm as well to hold the other side of the bar (the way I feel at the moment I think this would probably be a better answer for me at least I would be able to solve such problems).

Thanks in advance. :)
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming:
"WOW...WHAT A RIDE!!!"

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    sounds like you need a Hopey steering damper.

http://www.hopey.org/
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Overtighten the headset. Dont know how long it would be before the bearings died but it might be a temporary fix, enough to get you out riding.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If you can bodge up some sort of mounting for it, I have a bitubo motorbike steering damper somewhere which you'd be welcome to... You'd need to figure out the details though, which could be a total sod ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Thanks all for that the Hopey looks good but a a price I will have a look at how to fit a motorbike damper.
    Thanks again
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
    but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming:
    "WOW...WHAT A RIDE!!!"
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Wider bars and a shorter stem helped me, it will give you much more force to stabalise the bars.

Find a friend with a DH bike and borrow their bars/stem for a ride to see if it helps.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?