what's your handlebar width??

2»

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    mine are 660mm. i would go for abit wider but i'm small so don't need anything wider atm
  • schweiz
    Huge generalization here.. but..

Short stem = quicker steering but can be twitchy, better for decending.
    Long stem = slower steering but more stable, better for climbing.

Thin bars = quicker steering but more twitchy, easier climbing + less control on descents.
    Wide bars = slower steering but more stable, harder cliimbing + more control on descents.

So I've opted for a short stem with wide bars...
    The twitchyness of the short stem is counteracted by the stability of the wider bar. Giving better decending at the expense of harder climbing.

Long stem + thin bars..
    Slower but stable steering is counteracted by the quicker steering of thin bars.
    Giving more economical climbing at the expense of less controll descending.

Short Stem + Thin Bars...
    Very twitchy.

Long Stem Wide Bars...
    Super slow steering.

So...
    For XC the longer stem/thin bars is beneficial because it helps with climbing.
    DH/FR/AM a shorter stem + wide bars offer downhill stability and better riding position.

Thats all theory btw... I've just written is from what I believe the differences are between bar/stem combos.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    schweiz
    Huge generalization here.. but..

Short stem = quicker steering but can be twitchy, better for decending.
    Long stem = slower steering but more stable, better for climbing.

Thin bars = quicker steering but more twitchy, easier climbing + less control on descents.
    Wide bars = slower steering but more stable, harder cliimbing + more control on descents.

So I've opted for a short stem with wide bars...
    The twitchyness of the short stem is counteracted by the stability of the wider bar. Giving better decending at the expense of harder climbing.

Long stem + thin bars..
    Slower but stable steering is counteracted by the quicker steering of thin bars.
    Giving more economical climbing at the expense of less controll descending.

Short Stem + Thin Bars...
    Very twitchy.

Long Stem Wide Bars...
    Super slow steering.

So...
    For XC the longer stem/thin bars is beneficial because it helps with climbing.
    DH/FR/AM a shorter stem + wide bars offer downhill stability and better riding position.

Thats all theory btw... I've just written is from what I believe the differences are between bar/stem combos.

Thanks for that. It's basically what I was trying to say in my ramblings above related to wider bars compensating for a shorter stem and women's bikes with narrow bars and short stems on road bikes having a twitchy ride. The addition of application to different MTB disciplines makes it clearer though.

It is still interesting to me though that road bike handlebar width and stem length is driven, in my experience of buying bikes by my physiology (for me, broad shoulders = 440mm bar and torso length/arm reach and top tube length affecting choice of stem length) rather than handling. My road bike regulary hits 70-80km/h descending alpine passes but get nowhere near that off road, on a MTB and whilst the road surface is smoother, handling is equally as important.

I'll pay more attention to how the handling feels on my mountain bike in future and maybe have a play with different widths of bar and lengths of stem. This is starting to sound expensive. I wish I'd never read this thread! :D
  • This is what , I've got and it works well for me:

My all mountain bike -Short 65mm stem, wide 710mm bars - an excellent combo for chucking it down a hill type tom -foolery.

My XC bike - 660mm bars with a 90mm stem - good for general XC

Commuter - Hidiously short bars (600mm max) and long 110mm+ stem...not sure exactly, whatever was fashionable in 1998 budget mtbs! OK for road use but awful off road.

Wouldn't go back to long stems and narrow bars off road if you paid me!
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    50-70mm stem (dep on frame) and 660/685 wide bars (dep on what was on sale when I bought 'em)

works for me pretty much on everything except the commuter which has dropbars (like all road bikes should, can't be having anything to do with flat handlebarred road bikes *shudder*)

I had a set of 620s for a while but found them too narrow. 90mm stems seem to adversely affect handling for me aswell so I use 50 if I can and 70 if my knees are bashing the shifters on 50.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    no idea...

never measured them...they are the ones that came with the bikes.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    wide bar short stem is the only combo for aggressive riding, it gives the needed control for really steep and tech stuff, i also struggle to jump with a long stem and narrow bars.

Well, not for all!

Some very good theory and ideas here chaps, and I think Ben has hit the nail on the head. Of course we can factor in frame angles too. I find that the narrow bar, slightly longer stem and steepish head angle is great for riding on the flat through lots of tight turns as more weight over the front wheel keeping it planted.
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    My collection goes a little something like this:

130mm travel full suss - 711mm low rise bars & 65mm 0deg rise stem
    115mm travel hard tail - 685mm low rise bars & 90mm 6deg rise stem
    Commuter bike - 440mm bull horn bars & flipped 100mm stem
    Road bike - 420mm anatomic drops & 100mm stem

They all handle just fine and dandy :D
  • I swapped out the Eastons on my Cube for Spank Bitch Sticks at 700mm, much more comfortable for me and as yet no tree contact.

Tam
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    It's obviously got a lot to do with rider size too, I'm pretty narrow so 680 or so feels about right but if I was a couple of inches wider in the shoulder I can see that might not be the same.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I have the FSA K FORCE DH bars on my epic and i find them really comfortable so far, not been off road with them yet as i've been ill, but sure they'll be good ;)
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    My new easton bars are 560mm wide :D
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    my ritcheys are about 660 atm, altho im getting some new easton ea70's that are a touch woder at 685, would love to try some really wide bars like the 31" atlas bars 8) thats the next big thing massive bars on fixies :lol:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If you've got lock-on grips you can fit them with an overhang on the bars to give a feel for what wider would feel like. NOT a good idea for proper riding but for a wee pootle round the block to get a feel for it, it'll be fine.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • My Zesty has 660mm bars, whereas this years model has 680mm (stem is slightly shorter too). I'm intrigued to get some wider bars but for me, finances say no...

Bugger... :cry:
  • Nuke proof warhead 760mm bars for me :shock: