Pedal dilemma

Jay dubbleU
Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
The Genesis comes with double sided Shimano pedals - one side is clipless the other is flat but removable so that both sides could be clipless.

Its the only thing I don't like about the bike as I'm currently using the flat side and I have to look down and flick the pedal into position - bit of a pain

So... do I go clipless on both sides bearing in mind that this is a CX bike and I sometimes use it offroad or replace the current arrangement with something like MKS Touring road bike pedals.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    Go full clipless. You know it makes sense.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Full clipless because bruises are so this year :wink:
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    I got these pedals for Christmas - you can go flat or clipless, as you please...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=771
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    depends too on if you are a stickler for the rules.....you need the one of each arrangement to have reflectors, and be legal......

that's what i do, and soon found the turning the pedal half a turn if necc to be easy enough.....
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    I've got double sided on my summer bike and single sided on my commuter, whilst I do prefer the double sided - especially when trying to get off the lights quickly, the single sided are quite useful for filtering in traffic and as PBo says you get used to flicking the pedals over. In fact the flick with the toe and clip in becomes almost like one movement.
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I've got full clipless Shimano M-somethings. They've been fine for commuting, riding in snow (sometimes chasing MTBs :) ) and in cross racing.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Coriander wrote:
    I got these pedals for Christmas - you can go flat or clipless, as you please...

+1

I've got the cheaper version:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=7808

Double sided but you can ride them with flat shoes too, ideal if you need to pop to the shops/take the kids to the park etc.
  • The Genesis comes with double sided Shimano pedals - one side is clipless the other is flat but removable so that both sides could be clipless.

Its the only thing I don't like about the bike as I'm currently using the flat side and I have to look down and flick the pedal into position - bit of a pain

So... do I go clipless on both sides bearing in mind that this is a CX bike and I sometimes use it offroad or replace the current arrangement with something like MKS Touring road bike pedals.

why look down? if you're on cleats or flats the feel of the pedal through your foot immediately lets you know which side the pedal is and its a piece of cake to flip it, or you just clip in.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Get some 12 quid wellgo flat pedals.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123

This is the "good" bike, right ? In that case, no question - get yourself some Shimano M520s like these
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=3759
    and go clipless.
    I use clipless all the time offroad. However, for my pop-to-the-shops bike I use flats so I can just ride in trainers. I have a set of those double-sided, neither-one-thing-nor-another pedals and they live in the spares box, for my riding I don't find them useful. And they're really heavy !
    Misguided Idealist
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    PBo wrote:
    depends too on if you are a stickler for the rules.....you need the one of each arrangement to have reflectors, and be legal......

I use Shimano clipless on my commuter, and they're fab, but I've pondered on the lack of reflectors. My shoes have reflectors on the heels and since I'm clipped in, does that count?
  • Canny Jock
    rml380z wrote:
    PBo wrote:

I use Shimano clipless on my commuter, and they're fab, but I've pondered on the lack of reflectors. My shoes have reflectors on the heels and since I'm clipped in, does that count?

Unfortunately no - according to the letter of the law you have to have reflectors on the pedals. Hardly any clipless pedals allow this, and although Shimano do actually produce reflectors for some of their pedals (such as the M424's) the importer doesn't sell them in this country. I mailed them to ask and they suggested I source some from abroad!
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    That's great.
    So that means, with three rear lights, reflectors on my shoes, bum-bag and leggings, bright clothing, it's still my fault if I get rear-ended by a car because I've not got pedal reflectors.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    rml380z wrote:
    That's great.
    So that means, with three rear lights, reflectors on my shoes, bum-bag and leggings, bright clothing, it's still my fault if I get rear-ended by a car because I've not got pedal reflectors.

Like I say, depends how much you want to be "within the letter of the law". I doubt the police would pull you over, it's more about being in a crash. I have no idea of any precedent where a solicitor has tried to use this as contributary negligence - and i guess the more "other' stuff you have, the less likely this would be to succeed.

If you were wearing dark clothes, and only had the minimum legal requirements everywhere else, then someone might focus more on lack of pedal reflectors.

Pragmatically, from my own experience when driving, (i.e.sample size of one!) because they move, they are quite noticeable - i've spotted ninjas on bikes with no lights because of pedal reflectors.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Coriander wrote:

+1

I also have these on the steelie and they're good, but feel a little odd at first in regular shoes as the clip bit sticks up

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Canny Jock
    PBo wrote:
    rml380z wrote:
    That's great.

Like I say, depends how much you want to be "within the letter of the law". I doubt the police would pull you over, it's more about being in a crash. I have no idea of any precedent where a solicitor has tried to use this as contributary negligence - and i guess the more "other' stuff you have, the less likely this would be to succeed.

If you were wearing dark clothes, and only had the minimum legal requirements everywhere else, then someone might focus more on lack of pedal reflectors.

Pragmatically, from my own experience when driving, (i.e.sample size of one!) because they move, they are quite noticeable - i've spotted ninjas on bikes with no lights because of pedal reflectors.

I believe, although only from reading other posts on here so don't take this as read, that if you were hit by a car and didn't have pedal reflectors then a good defence solicitor may be able to reduce the level of compensation paid out. As I say, I don't have direct evidence for this, but maybe someone can provide some?

And as above, they really are quite noticeable - as someone else pointed out they really help identify a bike amongst lots of other red lights etc. on the road.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    That's really helpful - I think clipless is the way - the flat side can be removed so I don't actually need to buy clipless pedals

I'm afraid I don't have pedal reflectors on either of my bikes - they were on the flats that came with the Voodoo but fell off after about a month and I've not replaced them

I guess the only thing putting me off was the 'clipless moments' but bruises are good - right? :wink:
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    Canny Jock wrote:
    PBo wrote:
    rml380z wrote:
    That's great.

I believe, although only from reading other posts on here so don't take this as read, that if you were hit by a car and didn't have pedal reflectors then a good defence solicitor may be able to reduce the level of compensation paid out. As I say, I don't have direct evidence for this, but maybe someone can provide some?

And as above, they really are quite noticeable - as someone else pointed out they really help identify a bike amongst lots of other red lights etc. on the road.

We've had this debate before in a specific thread on pedal reflectors/clipless, should be searchable. In that thread there was a quote from someone in police/public prosecutions saying that if you had an equivalent reflective area eg ankle bands or reflective bits on overshoes you would be highly unlikely to be prosecuted.