New chain should I oil it?

124»

Comments

• fenski wrote:
    Sounds to me like your gears need adjusted, especially the indexing. Most new bikes need this after a few miles use, to compensate for the cables bedding in and stretching.

This is a pretty straightforward job - there's plenty of guides on the Internet.

If its cable stretch all that needs to be done is re-tension using the barrel adjusters

£1.25 for sign up http://www.quidco.com/user/491172/42301

Cashback on wiggle,CRC,evans follow the link
    http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/MTBkarl
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    3 in 1 does the job perfectly; it used to be called Cycle Oil too - what more could you ask for?

I wipe off the black cruddy gunge with a rag soaked in GT85 when it builds up a bit, then reapply a light dose of 3 in 1 along the rollers whilst pedalling backwards. That keeps the chain in nice condition.

Once in a blue moon take the chain off, soak it in degreaser, clean throughly and then leave to soak for a while in 3 in 1 whilst cleaning the rest of the bike, then refit it.
  • bexley5200
    bexley5200 Posts: 692
    i lube mine with castrol GTX
    going downhill slowly
  • senoj
    senoj Posts: 213
    When I bought my bike last year, from a highly regarded bike shop in Exeter, I asked this exact question - What do I put on the chain?

Answer I got - 3 in 1 oil....so thats what I have used and its done the job, as well as running a rag along the chain every now and again to keep it clean.

not exactly rocket science!!!!

+1
    Thats what ive been using for years,regularly rub it with a rag and reapply.
    And I do my chain the same way.
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    you dug up a 2 year old thread to make a crap joke..?
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    For reference guys, do a search of the many threads about lubing chains etc.

I emailed WD40 a while back and asked whether it is suitable as a chain lube. The long and the short of it is that, whilst it's better than nothing, it doesn't have the shear force capacity to perform effective lubricating duties for and lenght of time. It's designed primarily as a penetrating oil, ie. it's very thin and designed to eeerm.... penetrate.

Not my opinion, information from WD40 themselves.

The full detail of the email is on the forum somewhere.

The sticky packing grease that is on chains when you buy them is exactly that, packing grease. It's designed to stick to the chain and stay put, preventing corrosion in transit and storage. Whilst it will lubricate, it will also attract every last piece fo dirt it can find and turn it into a lovely black ginding paste. On a lesser note, because it's so thick, there will also be increased resistance in the chain's movement, costing you precious energy.

Can we let this thread finally be laid t rest ?
    :roll:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Pseudonym wrote:
    you dug up a 2 year old thread to make a crap joke..?

:lol:

I wish I'd noticed that before I typed out my answer !!!!
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • the WD in wd40 stands for 'water dispersant'.

just in case anyone is interested.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    dennisn wrote:
    Is too much being made of this chain lube thing???? I remember way back when I was just a young boy, at least I think I once was, that I had a bike for 5 or 6 years that I doubt ever saw anything resembling lubricant. This thing got ridden pretty much daily, although
    not mega miles, got left out in the rain, got washed sometimes, got dirty and dusty lots,
    yet I don't recall any kind of chain maintenance, ever. That chain had rusty side plates
    and polished smooth, like chrome, rollers. Don't remember a chain failure either. Ah, those were the days.

I used to use tractor engine oil when I was kid as it was instantly to hand and cheap. Don't recall any problems
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem