Those locks that you get on Pashley bikes...

AndyOgy
AndyOgy Posts: 579
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Can you get these as an aftermarket item to fit to any bike with a bridge between the seatstays.

If so, where?

Comments

• i believe abus do one, with an attachable chain for securing to them.

Most lbs should be able to get them from the abus distributor (i think just about everyone deals with the particular evil distributor)
  • To be honest, in my opinion, they are a bad idea!

They are on the Royal Mail BSOs and it is so easy to try and start riding off without having unlocked the lock, thereby testing the build quality of the rear wheel spokes!

I just hope for your sake that your Pashley does not also come with the "quality" X-RD3 Sturmey Archer hub and coaster brakes... :shock:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • AndyOgy
    Ah, it's not for a Pashley bike.

It's in no way intented to be a deterrent to any thieving scum. More to stop a particular person with mental health issues from borrowing it.

Also, I work as a cycle instructor. There are times when I'm off the bike but maybe only about 10-20ft away from it.

I've got proper Gold Sold Secure locks for the odd occasion when I have to leave the bike anywhere. Just seems a bit extreme to use it in the above examples.
  • But have you ever tried to break into one?

They are bloody tough, the abus one is good because the attached chain prevents the get on and ride bfore you see it's locked.

Great little piece of kit if it'll fit and you only want easy temporary security.
  • AndyOgy
    palaeobore wrote:

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the info everyone.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    They are pretty much standard on Dutch bikes - normally come with a cable to tie the bike to a railing as well and the key unlocks both the wheel lock and the cable so you can't try to ride off without unlocking the former.

I hired a bike with one in Haarlem and asked the owner about the lock - he said if you get a decent one, the only way you'll free it without a key is to cut the frame off!

They'll be standard on commuter bikes over here in a decade or two......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • emdeef
    emdeef Posts: 98
    There are several videos on Youtube of the Axa ones being opened using blank keys..
    I don't suppose you can get the blanks over here though.
  • I really like the idea of these locks, and even have one I bought in Holland.

However, my fear is that someone will simply pick the bike up and wander off with it, and cut the lock at home at their leisure. The coil locks that come with them are the work of a moment...

Or, of course, I'm just paranoid. :oops: