Disc or rim brakes for heavy duty touring?

dilemna
dilemna Posts: 2,187
edited February 2010 in Tour & expedition
For expedition touring, say the length of the Andes, would it be better to have rims for discs or traditional rim brakes? I ask not from the perspective of braking performance but from that of rim longevity as rims wearing out due to a lot of long steep descents on rough mountain roads and a loaded bike can be a real problem with traditional rim brakes. I'm guessing it is much easier to replace disc brake pads than brake blocks and worn out wheel rims, yes?

Have read quite a few journals on CGOAB.com where people have had to replace rims when they have worn out. Some have been lucky to find replacement rims others have struggled in remote places.

If disc is the better way to go then it would have to be a 26" wheel and a MTB kitted out for expedition, yes? Don't know of any 700C disc brakes.

When touring are suspension forks that are now on most MTBs, mine included, just extra hassle waiting to go wrong so better going with a fixed fork?

D.
Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
Think how stupid the average person is.......
half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.

Comments

• dilemna wrote:

If disc is the better way to go then it would have to be a 26" wheel and a MTB kitted out for expedition, yes? Don't know of any 700C disc brakes.

When touring are suspension forks that are now on most MTBs, mine included, just extra hassle waiting to go wrong so better going with a fixed fork?

D.

The Kona Sutra has 700c wheels with disc brakes but most tourers prefer the availability of spares for simple v-brakes

front suspension is just extra enery sapping weight for touring

Simon
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • PHcp
    PHcp Posts: 2,748
    There was a recent thread on here of the pros and cons of rim Vs disc, worth a search, though no consensus.
    I've never used discs so can't compare. If you want rim brakes without the wear have a look at Rigida Carbide coated rims;
    http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php ... 9s116p1106

The expected life of these is 4 to 6 times that of aluminium rims. I have these on two bikes, the braking is as good as any other rim in the dry and much better in the wet. You are supposed to use specific pads, which last well. I have used cheap normal pads, the braking is as good, they just don't last. Another advantage is they stay clean when braking in the wet. My oldest pair have done around 5,000miles, putting a straight edge across them I can't detect any wear!
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    There's nothing to stop you getting a 700c wheel built with disc hubs (and I think Avid do a brake that works with STI levers). Although the received wisdom is that 26" wheels may be the better option for touring outside Europe and North America because of greater availability of rims.

I've gone for cable-operated Avid BB7s rather than hydraulic. You need to carry spare pads. I'm also going to carry spare cables, disc and a spare caliper (the front and back are identical). That's probably being way too cautious - the brake caliper is mechanically very simple and looks like it should be very reliable - but then the caliper unit itself is pretty small so...

As far as suspension forks are concerned. SFAIK most modern suspension forks work with air pressure and a very little bit of oil. If a seal goes then you've got a big problem. The manufacturers' recommendations on service intervals are extremely short. I've gone for an old-skool (ie pre-2004) Marzocchi fork as these aren't dependent on air pressure, are filled with oil, and have a reputation for being bomb-proof. They were very easy to refurbish. Alternatively you could go for a pair of rigid fork - eg On-One have got sturdy rigid forks for £50 (or you could pay a bit more for Kona P6s which are a lighter).
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Thanks everyone for your posts. Food for thought. I am considering disc brakes as I read so many long distance travelogues particularly in South America where cyclists have at some point worn out their rims with conventional rim brakes. The point at which the rim fails is always in the most remote and inhospitable location imaginable. Mud being a major problem helping to grind down a rim. They then spend weeks trying to find a half decent bike shop who may or may not have rims that aren't made of cheese and then trust their life with the mechanic's unknown wheel building skills. If replacement rims or other parts are needed from home ie the UK or the States, then shipping costs are crippling. So this is why are am looking at disc brakes. Easier to carry a few sets of pads and new discs than have the hassle of needing a new rim after 2,000 miles. Also as andymiller says you could carry a spare caliper, brake fluid and bleed kit which wouldn't be too onerous.

My Kona Kula MTB has disc brakes and a reasonable suspension fork. My hybrids although better suited to touring have 700C wheels, no suspension and traditional rim brakes. Dilemma.

Thanks again for your replies.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.