Someone has read my mind.

Canny Jock
Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
The worst part of my commute (Hither Green to City) is along Thurston Road/Brookmill Road between Lewisham and Deptford. It's a terrible road surface which is full of potholes, badly repaired potholes and patched up areas that make the whole length of it a bone-shaking nightmare.

I've been planning to report it on http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/ but didn't know where to start as it's effectively a half-mile pothole.

Then this morning rode along it as usual only to find that they appear to be scraping and resurfacing the whole width of the road! Not sure if they will do the complete length, but if they do I'll be a happy man. It'll be like getting a new bike!

And for those of you who know the area, no I don't use the cycle lane alongside, as it's a lot longer, has loads of pedestrians as you go past the DLR station, winds along a footpath with sharp turns through the park and is far more likely to have broken glass/dog turds all over it than the road.

Sorry to unload all of this, but it's really cheered me up! Anyone else have a similar nightmare stretch of road they'd like to see dug up?

Comments

• Hollins Road in Oldham, it looks like theres a huge zip up the middle of it that someone has pulled open for about a mile and a half.

all along the bit with traffic pinch points and parked cars galore to force you into its evil clutches
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Yeah, they're repaving Mortlake hgh st at the moment. Result :D It had bone-shaking cracks running across the road every few metres...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    Canny Jock wrote:
    The worst part of my commute (Hither Green to City) is along Thurston Road/Brookmill Road between Lewisham and Deptford. It's a terrible road surface which is full of potholes, badly repaired potholes and patched up areas that make the whole length of it a bone-shaking nightmare.

I've been planning to report it on http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/ but didn't know where to start as it's effectively a half-mile pothole.

Then this morning rode along it as usual only to find that they appear to be scraping and resurfacing the whole width of the road! Not sure if they will do the complete length, but if they do I'll be a happy man. It'll be like getting a new bike!

And for those of you who know the area, no I don't use the cycle lane alongside, as it's a lot longer, has loads of pedestrians as you go past the DLR station, winds along a footpath with sharp turns through the park and is far more likely to have broken glass/dog turds all over it than the road.

Sorry to unload all of this, but it's really cheered me up! Anyone else have a similar nightmare stretch of road they'd like to see dug up?

I ride along there quite often and you're right, it's an appalling surface. Glad to hear they're finally doing something about it.

But why do you go along there and not just straight up Lewisham Way on to the Old Kent Road?
  • Canny Jock
    Actually, just found this report on fillthathole which describes it well:

ID #26201
    Status In progress
    Location TQ 37486 76524
    Location Description full length of street
    Road Name Brookmil Road
    Hazard Type Other
    Hazard Description entire length of street is incredibly poor state for urban road
    Approximate Size length of street
    Approximate Depth various
    Approximate distance from Kerb between the 2 either side of street :D
    Date Encountered 21 Jan 2010
    Date Added 21 Jan 2010
    Planned Fix Date Unknown
    Highway Authority Lewisham Council
    District / Ward / Parish Lewisham / Brockley
    Authority Reference 86772
  • Canny Jock
    Coriander wrote:
    Canny Jock wrote:

I ride along there quite often and you're right, it's an appalling surface. Glad to hear they're finally doing something about it.

But why do you go along there and not just straight up Lewisham Way on to the Old Kent Road?

I go from there, across the A2 onto Deptford Church Street, then left up Creek Road/Evelyn Street/Jamaica Road.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sourc ... 4&t=h&z=13

Always up for alternative suggestions though :?:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Canny Jock wrote:

Yes. The NKR and Putney Bridge. They wouldn't look much worse if a meteor hit them. Seriously though, the condition of both is a disgrace.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Coriander
    Canny Jock wrote:
    [quote="Coriander

But why do you go along there and not just straight up Lewisham Way on to the Old Kent Road?[/quote]

I go from there, across the A2 onto Deptford Church Street, then left up Creek Road/Evelyn Street/Jamaica Road.

Always up for alternative suggestions though :?:[/quote]

Which bridge do you go over? I go straight up the Old Kent Road, up Great Dover Street at Bricklayer's Arms and then over Southwark or London Bridge.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Yes I know that road. Why don't you just head up Lewisham Way and through New Cross onto the OKR instead?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Canny Jock
    Coriander wrote:
    Canny Jock wrote:
    [quote="Coriander

Always up for alternative suggestions though :?:[/quote]

Which bridge do you go over? I go straight up the Old Kent Road, up Great Dover Street at Bricklayer's Arms and then over Southwark or London Bridge.[/quote]

On the route I posted I've put Tower Bridge, but I actually go over London Bridge as I get showered at the gym underneath it on the north side. The problem with going over Tower Bridge is when you turn left towards Lower Thames Street, the traffic is pretty bad, there's not much room to filter past and most of the vehicles are HGV's. I'm also not much of a fan of turning right onto LB from Tooley Street, but I'm getting the hang of it.

I've always avoided the Old Kent Road as I hate driving on it so much, I'd be worried about cycling on it. I know, MTFU etc. :D
  • Headhuunter
    I don't think OKR is any worse than Evelyn St and Jamaica Rd is it? They're all pretty busy main roads...
  • Coriander
    Canny Jock wrote:

On the route I posted I've put Tower Bridge, but I actually go over London Bridge as I get showered at the gym underneath it on the north side. The problem with going over Tower Bridge is when you turn left towards Lower Thames Street, the traffic is pretty bad, there's not much room to filter past and most of the vehicles are HGV's. I'm also not much of a fan of turning right onto LB from Tooley Street, but I'm getting the hang of it.

I've always avoided the Old Kent Road as I hate driving on it so much, I'd be worried about cycling on it. I know, MTFU etc. :D

OKR is fine, absolutely fine as there is an almost always empty bus lane virtually the whole way. Plus there are loads of cyclists so drivers have to accommodate them. I used to do a backstreets route and it felt more dangerous than the OKR.
  • Canny Jock
    I don't think OKR is any worse than Evelyn St and Jamaica Rd is it? They're all pretty busy main roads...

I don't know, most of Eveyln St and Jamaica Rd. have a single line of traffic with a bus or cycle lane, whereas OKR has up to 3 lanes, with a lot more turnings, and for some reason seems to attract a lot more nutter drivers (I used to live behind the big Tesco and used it all the time).

Oh, and my route doesn't have any hills :D
  • Canny Jock
    Coriander wrote:
    Canny Jock wrote:

OKR is fine, absolutely fine as there is an almost always empty bus lane virtually the whole way. Plus there are loads of cyclists so drivers have to accommodate them. I used to do a backstreets route and it felt more dangerous than the OKR.

Thanks Coriander and Headhuunter - I might give that route a go then. Although now they're resurfacing Brookmill Road it would be a shame to waste it...
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    Yeah, I noticed this on Sunday morning. Chuffed!

p.s. didn't even know there was a cycle lane near there, LOL! I do often go up the A20 and join onto the A202 from there, rather than taking Brookmills road.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    cjcp wrote:
    Canny Jock wrote:

Yes. The NKR and Putney Bridge. They wouldn't look much worse if a meteor hit them. Seriously though, the condition of both is a disgrace.

Agreed, though someone sorted out the other appalling part of my commute - Smithfield Market - from a lunar landscape to smooth tarmac the other weekend. Such a difference not having to swerve around the place and/or have the bike shaken apart.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Junction of Cambourne Ave coming off Wendover Road in Aylesbury.

Massive holes covering whole carriageway with gravel to left, very busy junction and all holes big enough to throw you off.

Bl00dy awful.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    Brixton Hill Northbound.

Right in the middle of the cycle lane there's a pothole that's been repaired at least three times in 2 years and it gets worse every time. Now it's a hole big enough to eat your front wheel and spit you under the buses that take the downhill stretch at about 45mph. It's only a matter of time. The hill needs resurfacing, but it's cheaper to fill the holes every 6 months.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    lardboy wrote:
    Brixton Hill Northbound.

Right in the middle of the cycle lane there's a pothole that's been repaired at least three times in 2 years and it gets worse every time. Now it's a hole big enough to eat your front wheel and spit you under the buses that take the downhill stretch at about 45mph. It's only a matter of time. The hill needs resurfacing, but it's cheaper to fill the holes every 6 months.

Report it on the CTC website here:

http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/

Using this website has the advantage that there's an independent record of the report that a local council can't hide, and it's searchable by other cyclists. That means more chance someone else can claim compo if they don't fix it in time.
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    I can so relate. I kept on reporting all the horrid holes on Nine Elms, when I saw the resurfacing start I was so happy!
  • Canny Jock
    edited February 2010
    Ooops - incorrect post.
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    BentMikey wrote:

Report it on the CTC website here:

http://www.fillthathole.org.uk/

Using this website has the advantage that there's an independent record of the report that a local council can't hide, and it's searchable by other cyclists. That means more chance someone else can claim compo if they don't fix it in time.

I reported it the first time I almost got eaten by it.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • Headhuunter
    After last night's commute home from the gyme, I have realised that Waterloo Road as it passes in front of Waterloo station is also a complete mess...