Cycling in East Sussex

timoid.
timoid. Posts: 3,133
edited May 2010 in Tour & expedition
Need to set up a gentle ride in East Sussex for a bunch of non-regular riders. Need something like a 15 mile ride on quiet roads or perhaps a canal path, with nice scenery, not too many hills and ending in decent pub. Any suggestions?
It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.

Comments

• If you're starting from Brighton/Hove area, there is a dead flat sustrans path that goes along the seafront Nat route 2 all the way to Bognor (perhaps further but too much flat messes with my head :wink: ).

Plenty of pubs en-route.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Yeah, they want it flat flat flat. Any more suggestions.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    edited February 2010
    Downs Link? Pevensey Levels are nice too (you'll have to excuse me if I'm hazy about which is East Sussex and which is West Sussex).
  • Where about in East Sussex do you intend start from?
    Thats the first question.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Get the train to Rye and cycle to Dungeness, it doesn't get much flatter than that...just watch out for the wind.
    Half man, Half bike
  • Cuckoo trail is pretty flat as it follows old railway line to Heathfield from Eastbourne area. All away from traffic too. Can be popular with families.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    the downs link is a nice ride, particularly if you get the train up and ride back, or vice versa. there's a nice cafe at southwater country park, right on the link itself
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Winchelsea beach to Rye harbour along the Sea road past the nature reserve is flat.
    If you don't mind a few hills Hurst Green, Bodiam, Ewhurst Green (nice pub), Northiam is a nice ride on reasonably quiet roads.