SPD plastic 'platforms' ?

The Big Cheese
The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
edited February 2010 in MTB general
When you buy OEM pedals they come with plastic clip in platforms that normally get binned.. as it's going to be a while until I can get my Sids, as my pedals (nor being OEM) didn't come with any, what are they called and where can I buy some from?

Comments

• Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    I've never seen them for sale. I always assumed they were to get around the requirement to have reflectors on pedals. I probably have 2-3 sets of Crank Bros ones somewhere, unless I actually threw them away for a change.
  • afcbian
    afcbian Posts: 424
    Look on ebay. They are called shimano spd platforms
    I bought some so i could ride in "normal" gear when going out with the kids
    I ride therefore I am
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Ask at the LBS?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • afcbian wrote:
    Look on ebay. They are called shimano spd platforms
    I bought some so i could ride in "normal" gear when going out with the kids

All in the USA :cry:

Bails, maybe the best option, will go ask, but he's a roadie, and probably thinks I am bonkers anyway, plus had 'words' with him about a repair bill (why I do all my own now)
  • ahhhhhhh (just need to see if there's one near me)
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/mtb-cages-3885152/
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    There was a similar thread not too long ago about someone wanting Crank Bros platforms. I think he had a few offers from people giving their unwanted ones to him.

Give it a few more mins Im sure a kind someone will be along to offer theirs to you.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    or get some alloy checkerplate and mount your cleats to them.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I always thought they were put on SPDs etc to allow people to test ride rigs while wearing normal shoes.

Why don't you enquire at your LBS? They may well have a pair lying around that someone wanted removing.
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • I have some black shimano ones with reflectors if you want them? I have only used them for a week tops.

Can't post till Wednesday when I'm back in work though.

Send me a PM if you're interested.

Cheers

Richard
  • I had some of those (Shimano ones) and discovered THEY ARE THE LEAST GRIPPY AND MOST DANGEROUS PEDALS ON THE PLANET!

Seriously, if you are riding off road why don't you just pick up a cheap set of flat pedals. I know you're probably trying to keep it cheap, but if you don't enjoy your ride what's the point? I'm sure if you search the internet you can pick some up for about £10-15, and most of the one's I use have them delivered within 2 days even just using the free delivery options.

Always useful to have just in case anyway...
  • slimboyjim wrote:
    I had some of those (Shimano ones) and discovered THEY ARE THE LEAST GRIPPY AND MOST DANGEROUS PEDALS ON THE PLANET!

Seriously, if you are riding off road why don't you just pick up a cheap set of flat pedals. I know you're probably trying to keep it cheap, but if you don't enjoy your ride what's the point? I'm sure if you search the internet you can pick some up for about £10-15, and most of the one's I use have them delivered within 2 days even just using the free delivery options.

Always useful to have just in case anyway...

Im not planinng on using them off road TBH, just to bed the Marin in and get some road miles in until my Sidis are in stock, not worth buying some flats as I have just shelled ot nearly a tonne for my SPDs (or even taking them off my other bike) these are for the Marin, for nipping out/etc withough having to suit up.

Flynny2010

Very kind of you, shall drop you a PM :D
  • oooo which sidis are you getting?
  • bails87
    edited February 2010
    slimboyjim wrote:
    I know you're probably trying to keep it cheap,
    Have you not met Monsieur Grande Camembert before? :wink:

Big Cheese: you said 'Sids' in your first post. I thought you already had them, and then I wondered what they had to do with pedals! Double confusion now solved :lol:
    MTB/CX

• http://www.sidicafe.co.uk/cycling-shoes ... /mtb-terra

Not as flash as yours of course...... :)
  • Lol, no but then there isn't a shoe as flash as mine ;)

They'll be lovely though, as i've said before, like s3x for feet.
  • bails87
    , like s3x for feet.

There are websites for people like you.....apparently.
    MTB/CX

• I know...

my feet are such cam-whores.