Vans....

2»

Comments

• x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    I've got a Warrior, although I don't use it as my daily car.

It's great. Ok, you can't stand the bikes up inside with the rear cab on, but still 5 seats and you can carry 3 (possibly 4) bikes and keep them dry.

The only issue with Vans and Pickups is the insurance.......... However, as already said the Tax is cheaper, so you get some back.

I am loving the new Skoda Yeti though with an interior bike rack for 2 bikes.

As I'd never drive one as my main car, I'm thinking that in a few years, the 2nd hand prices would be cheap enough as a 2nd car........Oh, it's also 4x4 and it parks itself...(almost!) - www.skoda.co.uk/yeti
    Craig Rogers
  • flet
    flet Posts: 38
    Why do you you think LDV went bust? Because they drive like a 1970's transit.

My transit is nicer to drive than my MINI Cooper D I kid you not, the clutch is lighter, it has an armrest and the high up driving position is much superior.

Oh and the cruise control is much more refined on the van
  • delcol
    dont have a pic with the bikes in the back of the pug do you?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    There's always the leftfield option, some sort of camper... Expensive, and most of the drawbacks of a van but the payoff's a beaut. A biking mothership...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • welll i would buy a camper... just I want something a bit more reliable :lol:

Pug Partner sounds like a plan though.. seen a few at reasonable prices :)

I'd need some ideas for a comedy MTB "buisness" name and slogan though :D
  • Northwind
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    welll i would buy a camper... just I want something a bit more reliable :lol:

There's plenty of reliable campers out there, airbricks go on forever... Or something newer/nicer. Half of them are just vans after all.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Northwind wrote:
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    welll i would buy a camper... just I want something a bit more reliable :lol:

There's plenty of reliable campers out there, airbricks go on forever... Or something newer/nicer. Half of them are just vans after all.

Aye, there's plenty of weird and wonderful 'vans' if you look outside the box. Not just campers either. Well worth taking a look at if you're after something a bit different.
  • Northwind
    I want a Bongo. Not really sure why :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • covelove
    covelove Posts: 209
    i have had my transit connect for over a year now and would never go back to a car. its comfy to drive, faster than my old polo and i dont need to worry about it in terms of looks, very little maintenance required, in fact it thrives on neglect!!!
    also i think it's a bit bigger than the partner, berlingo and combo, i dont know how well the bikes go in with the wheels still on in these vans but i can get 2 bikes (with wheels on) no bother and can fit 4 or more in with wheels off.
    couldn't recommend it highly enough

or buy a bongo, they are cool too!
    does my tail look hard in this?

cove stiffee

orange 222
  • I got a pickup - seems like a handy solution - got a proper transfer g'box, with diff locks, so I can drive almost anywhere (handy for MTB). It's not horrendous on fuel, and is slimmer and lower than a van. About as long though.

Not as much room in the back as a van, but still tons of room. The ride quality is ok, but essentially it's a 1tonne truck, so it's not silky smooth.

Cheaper on road tax and insurance, especially for younger guys - many vans are classed a commercial vehicles, so will need commercial insurance which can be hard to get hold of.

Pros and cons.

Oh, and my truck is wayyyyy cooler than a Transit 8)

:wink:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I looked into this too and went the other way.

I really like the idea of a van for biking BUT if you are into driving it won't be long before you wish you had something faster.

Modern vans are much better to drive than they used to be and can certainly keep up with traffic but whatever way you look at it, it's a van. It's like the Golf advert 'it drives just like a golf.....'.

My plan was to keep my fast car and swap the diesel for a van. Turned out I'd have to pay a fair bit to get a van with a modern diesel engine that hadn't lived a hard life. Remember most of these things are driven by people who are getting from job to job and couldn't care less about them (there are exceptions like people who have their own business).

I opted for a diesel Volvo V70 estate. Bike currently goes in the back. Can fit two bikes in there fully built up. When the weather improves it'll go back on the roof racks. If I add a towbar I could carry 4 bikes, 4 people and all their gear. It also gets better mpg than most vans and would out accelerate every van I've ever driven (and that's not even a D5 which would be far, far quicker). There's been two times I've been gutted not to have a van both of them when getting changed in a car park but when I'm sitting on a heated seat and enjoying a nice B road I have no regrets at all.

Remember there are some proper quick estates out there - Volvo T5/D5s, Audi S4 avant, BMW 3/5 series both diesel and petrol.

I'd still have a van as a third vehicle but that's seriously not practical!
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    ratty2k wrote:
    Transit Connect? Focus suspension on the front so it handles pretty well, Comfy, well equipped if you get an LX or above.
    Mines just the basic SWB, but in rare black. I didn't want a white van and this couldn't be less white! :D
    42mpg, mines the 75Hp version, 90 & 110 versions available and all tuneable with a re-map.
    4200193189_0eb17d561c.jpg

i'm normally a VW man and regard Fords as a shower of sh!te but I have to say I regularly use one of these for work and it's great. It's got plenty of room, handles well for a van and is much more like driving a car. It even has a fancy fold down passenger seat you can have your lunch on with cupholders. The only one thing is it's a bit juicy but that might be my lead foot...
  • Steve_F
    Actually scrap my last post, there's a perfect solution.

On Pistonheads there's a LWB transit connect for sale with Focus RS engine and running gear.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1467814.htm

Not the one I was thinking about but you get the idea! Can't believe how much I want one of these.
  • Steve_F wrote:
    Actually scrap my last post, there's a perfect solution.

On Pistonheads there's a LWB transit connect for sale with Focus RS engine and running gear.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1467814.htm

Not the one I was thinking about but you get the idea! Can't believe how much I want one of these.

Did you ever see the one off World Rally Transit that Ford built a few years back?
    have a look here:http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/pic/2038/Ford-World-Rally-Transit_1.html
    Giant Reign - now sold :-(
    Rockhopper Pro - XC and commuting
    DH8 - New toy :-)
  • Northwind
    No no no, you want one of these:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_leoGYAeiH44/SPQjFMngLFI/AAAAAAAADP8/594MKSt9BPc/s1600-h/transit-supervan1-01.jpg

302 V8 from a GT40 in it. Less load bay than usual though.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    benji
    i don't have any pic of pug with bikes in,, i will try to take some but it would probably be weekend before i could do it,, bikes and van are in different places...
    i'm sure some one posted pics of a parnter or berlingo with mtbs in back last year
  • No worries :)

Anyways... i'm planning on a trip to some dealerships this weekend...

GF has tempted me to look at the following too though..

Citroen C4
    Ford Focus
    Pug 307.

But... it means can also check out the berlingo, transit and partner ;)
  • Steve_F
    If you are set on a van from my test drives I found the following:

Transit - work van, connect is much better but I wouldn't have a transit as an only van
    Trafic/Vivaro/Primistar - nice van to drive. 140bhp one doesn't hang around. Watch out for ones with gearboxes on the way out.
    Merc vito - very nice van. Would have been my choice but watch out for rust on the older ones. Make sure you wash it often and repair chips or rust will eat it alive.
    Hiace - tail gate opens up on some of them. Makes a great cover for working under. Slow as, old fashioned but should be reliable.
    Transporter - nice van. Drives very car like but overpriced due to the fact people like these as private vehicles.
    Partner/any other van of that size - bikes should fit in with the front wheel turned but I'd have to take a wheel off my DH bike. Take the bike along to check for size and fit. This will be much more car like. Latest model Partners etc are a good bit bigger and much more suited to biking.
    Expert is a size up from the Partner is that's too small.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    benji,,,
    tell her what i tell the missus,,

you get to choose wall paper, curtains ,carpets, furniture, kitchens, bathrooms, washers,driers,plants in garden ect...
    i choose tv, home cinema system, stereo, and most important the cars,,,,
  • glen4
    glen4 Posts: 250
    I've got a VW T5 transporter SWB 130bhp Kombi, six seats, drives superb, 35+mpg and has all creature comforts, the best, most versatile vehicle I have owned. I also ride motorcycle Enduros as well as MTBs, and the seats clip out/in in a couple of minutes.....
    only downside is high cost to buy, but then residuals are rock solid, I paid £12.5k for my 25,000 mile 05 plate just over a year ago, you'd be hard pushed to find one in the same condition for that money now......
    2009 Cove Handjob
    2009 Cove Hummer