Back ache...

Valy
Valy Posts: 1,321
edited February 2010 in MTB general
I get lower back ache after cycling for more than about an hour I guess, though it get worse as time goes on - at 3 hours I'm not just very tired, but also have back ache.

What could help? I considered longer stems, but I'm not sure how long my current on is so here is a picture:
IMG_2052.jpg

I think the reason as to why I'm getting the ache is maybe because I'm not stretched out enough? I dono - but whatever you think might add comfort, do suggest please.

Comments

• blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    Do you feel as though you are leaning too far forward. Or do you feel you are too upright?

You've got a 100mm stem as it is which is pretty long, a longer stem will put you leaning further forward and more into a racing position but you'll also notice a change in how the steering handles with an even longer stem.
  • Valy
    Do you feel as though you are leaning too far forward. Or do you feel you are too upright?
    I don't really feel either way - the position seems okay, sort of in the middle.
    You've got a 100mm stem as it is which is pretty long, a longer stem will put you leaning further forward and more into a racing position but you'll also notice a change in how the steering handles with an even longer stem.
    Most of the riding I do is on paths and roads, so if a longer stem would mean less responsive steering, I think I would have that to the back ache.

Another thing that crossed my mind is that a longer steam would mean more pressure on my hands? I now get numb fingers after long rides, so I wonder how much impact a longer stem would have on that...

And you say 100mm... I wonder if it would be somehow possible to try out a 130mm stem to see how much of a difference it would make.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Move the saddle all the way in both directions and try that before you go faffing around with the stem.

If your hands are going numb and your back aches it usually means you need to shorten the cockpit.

I have a 40mm stem on my bike, keeps me upright and numb free hands, I know if I stretched the bike out I'd have problems because of 45 years of abuse to my body in farming.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Valy
    robertpb wrote:
    Move the saddle all the way in both directions and try that before you go faffing around with the stem.

If your hands are going numb and your back aches it usually means you need to shorten the cockpit.

I have a 40mm stem on my bike, keeps me upright and numb free hands, I know if I stretched the bike out I'd have problems because of 45 years of abuse to my body in farming.
    Right now the seat is as far back as it will go. I think I did this because before it felt too short.
  • I thought the saddle fore/aft adjustment should be used to get the anterior part of the knee in line with the pedal axle when the cranks are horizontal? Then you adjust the bars.

Keith
  • Valy
    I thought the saddle fore/aft adjustment should be used to get the anterior part of the knee in line with the pedal axle when the cranks are horizontal? Then you adjust the bars.

Keith

I', not sure, but I think even with the seat all the way back my knees are slightly in front of the BB. I thankfully have not had any trouble and hopefully won't with my knees.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I thought the saddle fore/aft adjustment should be used to get the anterior part of the knee in line with the pedal axle when the cranks are horizontal? Then you adjust the bars.

Keith

For some it works - for most it doesn't. MTBs and riders vary so much that this old roadie measurement guide is simply poor.

Experiment with the adjustments you have, but we need more specifics really to delve into what the problems could be. Is the bike just too small for you?

Changing one thing often alters another.
  • i read somewhere that you should just be able to support yourself with your back, i.e., sit with your hands on the bars and lift them off the bars, you should be able to hold that position for a while. i found that info whilst looking for numb hands problems tho.

do you cycle a lot? when i started cycling again that i suffered a few twinges until my fitness built up. in fact my uncomfy problems don't exist anymore now my fitness is improved.
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • Valy
    supersonic wrote:

Keith

For some it works - for most it doesn't. MTBs and riders vary so much that this old roadie measurement guide is simply poor.

Experiment with the adjustments you have, but we need more specifics really to delve into what the problems could be. Is the bike just too small for you?

Changing one thing often alters another.
    Yeah that is something that I think I prefer to conveniently overlook.

As far as the bike being too small - I had that thought. It's a 21" 2010 Hardrock, I'm 6ft 2" and have inside leg of about 35".
    i read somewhere that you should just be able to support yourself with your back, i.e., sit with your hands on the bars and lift them off the bars, you should be able to hold that position for a while. i found that info whilst looking for numb hands problems tho.

do you cycle a lot? when i started cycling again that i suffered a few twinges until my fitness built up. in fact my uncomfy problems don't exist anymore now my fitness is improved.

Hmm - but what about road bikes, you are quote a bit flatter with your back and I guess that would be a bit difficult to apply to road bikes, unles it is specifically for mtbs.

I cycle a reasonable amount - I've done about a 1000kms in about 6 weeks, of which I spent at least about 10 days not riding due to various reasons.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Valy wrote:

I cycle a reasonable amount - I've done about a 1000kms in about 6 weeks, of which I spent at least about 10 days not riding due to various reasons.

I don't do that in 6 months! :shock:

Do you have a lot of seatpost showing, so are you very "head down, arse up"?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    hmm , tough one to diagnose this
    at 90 mm your stem is already fairly long , maybe try a 110mm but no guarantee of improvement.
    as a tall lad who road rides alot i'd consider ergonomic bar ends so you can vary your
    hand position during long rides , this should help.
    a 21" frame for a 6 ft 2" rider sounds about right so i would keep trying different saddle positions , adjusting just half an inch at a time and ride for at least a week before adjusting again , will take a few weeks to find the sweet spot ( took me a few attempts
    before knee pain went away )
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    1st Q; these 1000 km that you cover in 6 weeks, this is off or on-road?

That aside, I have had the same issue, stretching was the key for me.

Yoga is great (and not at all girlie as some think, although it can afford good perving opportunities :wink: ). The first third of the Astanga yoga sequence concentrates on the lower back. If you only learn the Sun Salutations and do 20 - 40 mins regularly (I'd say at least twice a week) you will find your hamstrings loosen up and the pain eases

as for bike fit I can't tell you, although I will say I find my touring bike is more comfy to ride on the road than my mtb with slicks on
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day

• "
    Hmm - but what about road bikes, you are quote a bit flatter with your back and I guess that would be a bit difficult to apply to road bikes, unles it is specifically for mtbs.

I cycle a reasonable amount - I've done about a 1000kms in about 6 weeks, of which I spent at least about 10 days not riding due to various reasons".

i think i got it off the sheldon brown website which is mainly for road bikes. try the rivendell website as well good info on aches and pains.hth
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • have you heard of hip flexors?

Generally they are the source of a large proportion of back pain amongst cyclists, pm me if you want some more specific information.
  • Valy
    bails87 wrote:
    Valy wrote:

I don't do that in 6 months! :shock:

Do you have a lot of seatpost showing, so are you very "head down, ars* up"?
    I would not say that... it is sort of in the middle. I lowered it down a few weeks ago I think - the fall where I bent the crank might have had something to do with it... :P My legs extend alright though.
    biff55 wrote:
    hmm , tough one to diagnose this
    at 90 mm your stem is already fairly long , maybe try a 110mm but no guarantee of improvement.
    as a tall lad who road rides alot i'd consider ergonomic bar ends so you can vary your
    hand position during long rides , this should help.
    a 21" frame for a 6 ft 2" rider sounds about right so i would keep trying different saddle positions , adjusting just half an inch at a time and ride for at least a week before adjusting again , will take a few weeks to find the sweet spot ( took me a few attempts
    before knee pain went away )
    Did you mention a 110mm stem (say, not a 130mm one) as it would not put as mcuh pressure on the hands? As far as fiddling wit hthe seat, I guess I might. However I just got some padded shorts and rode around a little bit and daaaayyym! It now feels more.. .well excuse the expression, but it feels more padded now. OH yeah - I geuss you could say it feels a bit like a double sealed window vs a single one. The bumps are not as sharp now etc... but I guess I'm only saying this for the sake of expressing what it sort of felt like...
    1st Q; these 1000 km that you cover in 6 weeks, this is off or on-road?

That aside, I have had the same issue, stretching was the key for me.

Yoga is great (and not at all girlie as some think, although it can afford good perving opportunities :wink: ). The first third of the Astanga yoga sequence concentrates on the lower back. If you only learn the Sun Salutations and do 20 - 40 mins regularly (I'd say at least twice a week) you will find your hamstrings loosen up and the pain eases

as for bike fit I can't tell you, although I will say I find my touring bike is more comfy to ride on the road than my mtb with slicks on
    Giggidy giggidy awwwriight.

The ~1000kms was on road and off road, but the off road consisted mostly of bridleways/paths. As far as yoga goes it is a pretty attractive way to keep ones body supple.

"

I cycle a reasonable amount - I've done about a 1000kms in about 6 weeks, of which I spent at least about 10 days not riding due to various reasons".

R_W - hip flexors... have not heard of such terms.
    i think i got it off the sheldon brown website which is mainly for road bikes. try the rivendell website as well good info on aches and pains.hth
    Might look at something such site. Thanks.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Try lowering your saddle by an inch or so as well as moving it forward & backwards. It's possible that your seat is too high. This can cause numbness down below and in some cases back pain.

Are you sure that you have the right size bike? Some people have very long arms and/or short legs and the normal sizing advice doesn't help them too much.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Valy
    passout wrote:
    Try lowering your saddle by an inch or so as well as moving it forward & backwards. It's possible that your seat is too high. This can cause numbness down below and in some cases back pain.

Are you sure that you have the right size bike? Some people have very long arms and/or short legs and the normal sizing advice doesn't help them too much.

I might try that. AS far as me being sure abotu the bike size - well, not really. I will see how it goes when I try to change the saddle position/height. I doubt that wil lleave the saddle in a more forward position as I moved it back in the first place because I felt a bit cramped. Might be different with the height. Will see.