les gets morzine

jimmyp1873
jimmyp1873 Posts: 120
edited June 2010 in Routes
i was thinking about taking the lad over there for a weeks biking holiday, but due to being paid off and no signs of work in the near future. i was thinking about driving over and just camping.
i tried to look up campsites in the area but didnt have much success. has anyone done this and is it a more cost effective way to do things?
only when you stare death in the face do you feel most alive

Comments

• I'm currently in the process of booking a trip to Les Gets with my riding mates. We we're going to drive as well but after adding up costs, we found it was cheaper to get a package holiday deal, as the cost of fuel and the ferry would be massive.

We're booking with Alpine Elements, £500ish for a week, flights, catered and bike hire when our out there. The included bike hire is for a standard hardtail but with a bit of extra cash you can upgrade this right up to kona stinky's if you wish. Alternatively save bike hire upgrade money and fly with your bike. To fly a bike, you must have a bike bag for it (£80ish new)
  • There are a couple of campsites near Morzine. The nicer one is Les Marmottes in Essert Romand. It's a little way out of town, but if you're happy with a bit of pedalling it's a nice place to stay. We've done one of our trips staying there prior to moving out here. You do want to book in advance though.

It will be cheaper camping, and if you have a car you can get food in the supermarkets, but the main issue to think about is drying stuff when it's wet. There is a washing machine on the site, but on the really wet days (which we do get often enough!) drying all your stuff can be an issue.

Motorway tolls will be about €65-70 each way. You also want to budget €82 for the 6 day lift pass.

Alternatively there are some self catering apartments (but always check for bike storage) and people like us with chalets you can take a room in.

Oh and Rob if you fly with a bike you don't need to buy a bag. You can get a cardboard box free from your local bike shop - just call in advance to make sure they keep one for you. Not quite as secure or easy to use as a big, but saves you some money, and having to store the bag at home!
  • Hi, my mates and I are going to Morzine Sat 3rd July 2010
    Ferry from Dover to Dunkirk £40.00 for one car, 3 guys with 3 bikes, so £13.33 each.
    We rented a apartment using Morzine Lets, this cost £63.33 each (6 ways)
    Diesel £150 return journey (750 mile each way) (£50.00 ea 3 ways)
    Tols £90.00 reurn. (£30.00 3 ways)
    Lift Pass £60.00 for 5 days
    Insurance £30.00
    Car Ins to share driving £20.00

Total - £265.00 + Spending Money !!!

BARGAIN !!!!!

Ps - If anyone has any tips then pls let me know. Thanx
    Am I puddled as a muppet or muddled as a puppet?
  • covelove
    covelove Posts: 209
    nice one willburnator! i am going on the same day! there are ten of us so we have hired one of the big ski chalets which has worked out at less then £100 per head plus petrol etc, etc
    might see you out there!
    does my tail look hard in this?

cove stiffee

orange 222
  • thanks for the replys folks, think i might be driving over
    only when you stare death in the face do you feel most alive
  • covelove wrote:
    nice one willburnator! i am going on the same day! there are ten of us so we have hired one of the big ski chalets which has worked out at less then £100 per head plus petrol etc, etc
    might see you out there!

Quality, only a week to go now. Conna fooking wait! Giving the bike a once over today. Holla if you see us, we are going from Dover on the 06.00 ferry to Dunkirk.Mob. 07812 066940. Have agreat one !!
    Am I puddled as a muppet or muddled as a puppet?