Short, medium or long?

Raymondavalon
Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
edited February 2010 in MTB general
These are the three lengths that the SRAM X0 derailleur cages are available in
So, I ask this question, why three lengths? What dictates the choice of the cage length?
Is it down to aesthetics, functionality, performance, clearance, usage or perhaps weight with the minute [5 - 11 grams of] weight difference between the three lengths?
So, I assume that DH riders would use a short cage as they use two chainrings and tear down rocky descents and terrain that require more clearance

My AM came with an X9 long cage version, would changing it to a short or medium offer me any other advantage other than providing me a little more clearance between the cage and the ground?

Sometimes there is such a thing as too much choice and this is why I'm asking...

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    looked in the FAQs?

the range of gears covered.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Hmm good point, but nowhere has that been mentioned by our friends at Wiggle.
    So inevitably someone (moi!) could have made an incorrect purchase on the assumption that one's bike would be better off with a medium cage opposed to a long one..