New chain fails on first ride

Northwind
Northwind Posts: 14,675
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Just put a new chain and cassette on the Soul- old ones weren't worn out but they're going on another bike. Left the standard lube on as some recommend, for a change. 10 miles into the first ride and suddenly I got a massive chainsuck, cleared it out but found that one of hte links on the chain is twisted. So, I can pop it out and replace it with one of the spares but I'm thinking, can I even trust this chain? It's a KMC X9SL, I've just done a year on X9Ls without so much as a single suck and the rings are all fine too so I'm not too impressed, I'm thinking probably the damaged link happened when it sucked but then, what caused it in the first place? Can't have been my lubing as I've never lubed it, can't be the setup because the setup's otherwise fine and it worked flawlessly for the first 10 miles, and though it was a wee bit muddy it wasn't anything like as bad as the X9L's dealt with with no issues (I was on a tarmac section so it's not like it was in the process of clogging to death)

What do you reckon? Am I just overreacting to a bit of chainsuck, or should I be able to expect better? I'm a bit narked but then, that's just because I've got a scrape in my frame and a brand new knackered chain and I don't know if I trust it not to do it again.
Uncompromising extremist

Comments

• Worn chainring shown by fitting a new chain maybe?
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I'd bin it (out of spite and the fact you won't trust it again). Get another one or swap brands.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    thats wierd cos ive been using a kmc chain for well over 6 months now, and i rarely oil or lube my chain, seriously its true :lol: , and mine is fine, with out doubt one of the best ive ever used, it just keeps going when sram ones have died twice as fast. im so impressed i went and bought three whilst they were on special offer :D
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I'd agree with chanrings, or just unlucky with dirt causing the chainsuck.
  • Northwind
    Really don't think it's chainrings, just fired on another new chain (an X9L, cheaper KMC) and it's spot on. And the damaged one only sucks when it comes to the twisted link it seems. Though having said that the damaged one was perfect for 10 miles so maybe there's an issue with the rings and it's just not happened yet with the other new one I have. Still, the chainset doesn't have much wear, this is only the third chain it's had on it and I replaced both of the old ones at 75% on my chain tool so it shouldn't be that... The rings look fine too.

I guess I'll fish out the damaged section and stick it on another bike, I don't think I'm going to trust it on a long ride tbh. Might have a wee word with Merlin since it wasn't cheap, but I'm not going to emorage over it :lol: Just annoying to have it happen on new, top end kit.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    I am well known for breaking stuff, especially chains, so I have tested most chains until destruction.

I am currently running a KMC x9-sl, unbreakable and after almost a year still showing below 40% stretch.
    Most chains last 4 months for me, the last SRAM chain I ran broke 5 times in the first few weeks.

So basically saying, doubtfully something wrong with the chain
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Northwind
    Hmm. But then, that could say the exact opposite- I know KMC make good stuff and I'd expect this to last better, so I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the X9SL in general but I think there might well be something wrong with this particular one. Bathtub failure curves innit, things tend to either break immediately or last a long time because defects tend to show up in early life.

I think I can safely rule out the rings because the replacement chain (another KMC) is spot on, after a decent ride, not so much as a grumble. The only part I've changed is the chain.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    had chains brake on first rides of bikes.

it happens.

Not often but it does. put a power link in.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • pypdjl
    pypdjl Posts: 52
    Even the most expensive chain is prone to getting knackered if you get chain suck, I don't see that you can blame the chain here.
  • Northwind
    pypdjl wrote:
    Even the most expensive chain is prone to getting knackered if you get chain suck, I don't see that you can blame the chain here.

I'm blaming the chain for the chain suck, since as far as I'm concerned there was nothing else to cause it- the mud wasn't bad, the lube was KMC's own applied at the factory, and the rings are fine. I'm not faulting it for twisting when jammed, I'm faulting it for chainsuck where nothing else chainsucks.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    yeah it's just bad luck i guess, i've had that chain and once you replace a link, it's buggered. If you can, put a powerlink in there, if not, new chain time
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cobe
    cobe Posts: 11
    check your chain lenth again make sure its not to long also i would replace it with a sram chain if monies are not a problem kmc chains are not very good.
  • I thought that the original lube on new chains was a wax based substance so that they don't rust in the packets or mess up the packaging either. If this is the case then they will stick like glue to chainrings etc and get chainsucked to death in an instant.

Might be wrong on this though?
    Scott Genius 08, Marin Rock Springs 08, Marin Pine Mountain 89
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    I thought that the original lube on new chains was a wax based substance so that they don't rust in the packets or mess up the packaging either. If this is the case then they will stick like glue to chainrings etc and get chainsucked to death in an instant.

Might be wrong on this though?
    the lube they put on the chains is pretty high quality, most people keep it on there as long as poss.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    cobe wrote:
    check your chain lenth again make sure its not to long also i would replace it with a sram chain if monies are not a problem kmc chains are not very good.

Why do you think KMC chains are not very good?

What experience do you have with the SRAM/KMC?
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • pypdjl
    Northwind wrote:
    I'm blaming the chain for the chain suck, since as far as I'm concerned there was nothing else to cause it

Mud and worn rings are far more likely culprits. You can get chainsuck on new rings and a new chain, just takes a while for stuff to wear in.
  • cobe
    cobe Posts: 11
    several years of running sram chains in the Alps also some experience with kmc chains in the Alps which would normally last 2 to 3 days at best.
  • Northwind
    pypdjl wrote:
    Mud and worn rings are far more likely culprits. You can get chainsuck on new rings and a new chain, just takes a while for stuff to wear in.

Except that the rings are working perfectly after 40 miles or so with another brand new KMC chain, and there wasn't much mud involved. I'd totally agree normally but the only part which was different was the new chain, so to me it's the obvious cause just by elimination.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • pypdjl
    Northwind wrote:
    Except that the rings are working perfectly after 40 miles or so with another brand new KMC chain, and there wasn't much mud involved.

The first chain was ok for 10 miles initially though? I'd have thought the only chain related cause of chainsuck might be a stiff link, but that should have shown up sooner than that. I really doubt it is the chain, I'd patch it back up with some powerlinks and keep using it myself.
  • Northwind
    Yup, that's what I'm going to do. Though I'll be sticking it on the "road mtb" for now just to give it a bit of a test and keep what I trust on the mtbs, til I trust this one again.

Just mainly childishly annoyed :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist