Tubeless = no punctures...My ARSE!

DamonC
DamonC Posts: 263
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Not had a single puncture in the 2 months I've been back on the bike....first day on tubeless setup, tear in tyre >:(

OMG what a mess opening up, trying to get sealant out and put a tube in >:(

ARSE!

The tear...

I thought it might have been from a jump but doesn't look it to me. The only other incident I can remember shortly before the jumps was going through some water something grabbed my rear tyre, maybe a root.

One brand new tyre in bin on first day of use :(

P1010260-vi.jpg
Suffering from the light bike fat git syndrome.

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Thats unlucky, I've never done that to a tyre.

Had a massive thorn today, pulled it out and "psssshh.....splutter....*seal*" in about 2 seconds. With a tube both of those would have meant a puncture, with tubeless only one of them. Just unfortunate that it was on the first trip out.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • to be fair that looks like it would have taken a tube out too...looks fairly big.
    Ive ridden about 18 months all the time tubeless and only ever had two problems, both on Schwalbe tyres which have very thin casings.
    I moved to a heavier, sturdier maxxis tyre and have 12 months puncture free (touch wood!)

If you do puncture, just tip out the stans, whack in a tube, inflate and go.
    Looks like you were unlucky today though.

How did you find the traction, what pressure were you running?
  • jadamson
    jadamson Posts: 644
    yer as said before seems more of a tyre problem than the tubeless set up... if the tyres new try and get a refund or swap?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Big ol puncture that. Is it a Protection MK? (reason I ask is that I always suspect with some "protection" type tyres that actually the "protection" version is just normal, while the normal ones are about as tough as a baloon.)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I've run Mountain kings in the past and swore by them for grip on my local trails and trail centres but have sliced a few just like that. As much as I liked the tyres, I reckon that because the tread pattern is so far appart it leaves the tyre itself exposed to getting slashed like that.

Ive sacked them now for Maxxis ignitors.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Who told you tubeless=no punctures? the tyres may have a bit more protection, but you will still get punctures, You will eliminate getting a pinch flat but sharp and pointy things will still go through a UST tyre. As scale20 says, a tyre with an open tread pattern will be more susceptible to puncturing than a close tread pattern.
  • DamonC
    I was still miffed when posting :)

Yes it would have done a normal tyre and inner too. Very unlucky as its not often you tear a tyre.

What a mess to sort out on the trial though. I had to use some of my camelbak water to wash out some of the sealant before putting in the tube.
  • Panter
    Panter Posts: 299
    That was very unlucky !

I switched to ghetto tubeless some time ago and have almost forgotten what punctures are :lol:
    Seriously, my local ride is a mass of thorns and brambles and I'd puncture at least every other trip out.
    Since the switch I've had absolutely no problems at all.

Cheers,

Chris :)
    Racing snakes. It's not big, and it's not clever ;)
  • I have only had two punctures that wouldn't seal with sealant while running UST. One was on a Nobby Nic, which was cut in a simialr way to yours (I think I went through something sharp in a puddle). Once I got home I stuck an innertube patch on the inside of the tyre and it has held up very well since. Although the cut looks big on the tread it is probably fairly small on the inner casing.

The other one was a side wall on a Michelin mud tyre, it was a couple of years old and the side wall developed a split which sort of sealed, so I put some more air in and thought I would just try to ride it home. On the first downhill the tyre finally gave away with a very loud bang. I managed to fit an inner tube and limp home.

I have had loads of small punctures, all of which have sealed without me stopping.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    No one says tubeless has no punctures,
    With tubes I used to puncture most rides, now I generally wear out a tyre before it punctures.

generally, Last puncture I got two years ago was a total PITA!
    So tubeless saves most punctures, doesn't mean you should no longer carry spares.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • Dont chuck the tyre! Sew the tear and then smother the inside surface with the glue they use to repair wetsuits! I've done it a few times! I've even got on HighRoller that I've repaired twice!
    Giant Reign - now sold :-(
    Rockhopper Pro - XC and commuting
    DH8 - New toy :-)
  • DamonC
    I have kept the tyre but have replaced it with a new one.

I know they are repairable but it will always be a weak point on the tyre no? So increase the risk of an interrupted ride again.
  • I had a piece of glass puncture my nobby nic 2.1ust in June last year and I repaired it with a normal tubeless repairt kit. It's been fine ever since - I've added air once since that point - seriously - and it's been fine. I also patched the inside and 'welded' it with vulcanising solution - so all good!
  • DamonC wrote:
    I have kept the tyre but have replaced it with a new one.

I know they are repairable but it will always be a weak point on the tyre no? So increase the risk of an interrupted ride again.

Yeah, but no worse than a poor quality punture repair on a tube!! I used a sewn up HighRoller for nearly a year without any worrys. Just make sure its sewn up well and then go well over the top with the glue! :wink:
    Giant Reign - now sold :-(
    Rockhopper Pro - XC and commuting
    DH8 - New toy :-)