Learning to Jump (DH/FR style jumps - not DJs)

Spoony Man
Spoony Man Posts: 132
edited February 2010 in MTB general
I myself can jump to a reasonable standard (I can and will provide videos if required :P) but I have a friend who has been DHing on and off for a couple of years that has finally bought his own DH bike (used to ride 2002 Stinky - not ideal for DH) and is starting to ride more regularly.

On the track he isn't bad and can hold his own to a reasonable standard/speed. His problems occur when it comes to big(ish) jumps/gaps. He's confident enough at drops (with small gaps) and small (6ish foot gap or less) jumps which don't require much speed. Our local trails are Leckhampton and he really wants to get the quarry jumps in the main DH run there nailed - 15ish foot gap, he's had a few goes at them and he doesn't really like them.

Basically we're looking for somewhere* (South West/South Wales) with some medium sized table tops or other fairly easy jumps where he can get some practice and build up some confidence in the air.

*Not Cwmcarn - the jumps in the DH need to be hit very quickly and the weather (particularly wind) is too unreliable in the freeride park on top of the hill to drive that far to find out the jumps are unrideable!
<hr>

www.spoony-man.co.uk - the king of all sites (honest)

Comments

• joec1
    joec1 Posts: 494
    What about the Freeride area at Cwmcarn? they are brill for me to get used to, and learn on.???
    www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.
  • Sorry I forgot to put that in my above post - will edit.

The weather is too unpredictable in Cwmcarn for the jumps in the freeride area, last time I was riding there was too much wind to ride the freeride park.
    <hr>

www.spoony-man.co.uk - the king of all sites (honest)