Newbiw with Small Budget and upgrade questions

Malaki
Malaki Posts: 10
edited March 2010 in MTB beginners
Hey all,

Have been browsing around the forums and thought id post up a couple questions i have. First off, ive always wanted to get into MTB'ing (the kind of go up a hill and come tear-ar*ing down like a hooligan again kind) but never had anyone to go with. Now my partners family are getting into it i can try to "have a go".

There lies the problem, im clueless on the bike side of things. I have a budget of about 150ish due to newborn on the way (12 weeks and counting!), which as i understand it from these forums is grounds for shiny new rubbish or off to ebay to get second hand (which im ok with). I was thinking of just getting a half decent hardtail and upgrading as the funds becoming available, but im not sure if every frame can be upgraded or if im looking for specific frames with specific fittings.

The people im going with have Saracen Mantra's, so eventually would like to get up to that spec over time. Any help, pointers, critiscisms welcome

Thanks all.

EDIT: Oh forgot, just incase its relevant, im 6' 2" and about 10 stone (scrawny sod :))

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Can you stretch to 200 quid? As decathlon have an excellent bike called the Rockrider 5.2:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/rockrider ... -48722203/

Absolutely superb for that cash.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    supersonic wrote:
    Can you stretch to 200 quid? As decathlon have an excellent bike called the Rockrider 5.2:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/rockrider ... -48722203/

Absolutely superb for that cash.

+1, we have one.

Very upgradeable over time but more than capable for any beginner :D
  • +2 had a decathalon rockrider a few years back cracking bike for the money :wink:
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build
  • Malaki
    Cool thanks all, will check it out, might be able to stretch to £200.. Will have to shuffle things around, any other suggestions?
  • like uve already said theres some decent 2nd hand stuff on ebay, carrera fury or vulcan :wink:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Carrera-Vulcan-Di ... 27af16ab53

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CARRERA-XC-VULCAN ... 2a048fe4d5
    CUBE ltd 2012,reba sl, XT, saint, DMR, spank, current xc/am ride

GIANT boulder, marzzochi EXR, LX/alivio, DMR, spank, retro build
  • I'd definately have a look at the Carreras on ebay. Cracking bikes but being a brand of Halford's they don't have the same uber cool image as some makes, bringing the prices down a little.

For your budget I dare say you could pick up a nearly new Vulcan or a more used Fury. The Fury wouldn't need upgraded at all. The Vulcan would benefit from a better set of forks, but if you have any cash left over you could probably find some in the sales.

If you're planning on riding in soggy, wet weather - and if you live in Britain, you will - try and get disc brakes. Some Vulcans come with cantilevers and they suffer in the wet.

Plenty of other bikes of course, it's just knowing what to look for. Trouble with ebay is that most of them are pick up only, so it depends on what's available in your area.
  • Malaki
    Hey thanks all, them Vulcans look nice :)

I appreciate the advice, wen out today to the cannock chase trail. Was on a bike that was nowhere near up to scratch (suspension was solid as a rock, brakes hardly worked e.t.c.) Was dead after 8 mile (even then with a few stops and walks UP part of the trail). Cant wait to get a proper bike and have a good ol crack at some of the jumps :). Need to work on my fitness also lol
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    Malaki wrote:
    Hey thanks all, them Vulcans look nice :)

I appreciate the advice, wen out today to the cannock chase trail. Was on a bike that was nowhere near up to scratch (suspension was solid as a rock, brakes hardly worked e.t.c.) Was dead after 8 mile (even then with a few stops and walks UP part of the trail). Cant wait to get a proper bike and have a good ol crack at some of the jumps :). Need to work on my fitness also lol

I was in the same situation last year mate. Took my kids to Gisburn Forest in Lancs. Had an old mountainish bike with gears that skipped like a kangaroo and my kids on halfords specials. But we had a great time. Me and my lad upgraded to some proper bikes and never looked back.

A good hardtail is probably your best bet and £200 should get a mint year old bike that would have been £350 - £400 new. There are some real bargains to be had. Got my lad a 2nd hand Rockhopper for half price on the classifieds here and sourced a lovely GT Aggressor (£750 new in Halfords) for £350 (for a mate) with hardly a mark on it, again through the classifieds.

I didn't get mine 2nd hand but got it heavily discounted from Wiggle.com.

Just keep checking the classifieds on here and ebay. Check out reviews on bikes that come up and see which ones take your fancy. I'd stick to nearly new, or mint condition, rather than something that's done a few miles. Unless you're careful you could end up with a real dog.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • Malaki
    Hi, thanks :)

Ive been keeping my eye in Flea-Bay, seen a couple that might be worth a look at i think

Bike 1

Bike 2
  • supersonic
    The problem with buying second hand is that you will not be able to try the bike or have it set up professionally, and will have no warranty or after sales care. This can be essential for a new MTBer.

The second bike doesn't even list the spec.
  • Malaki
    Finally buckled and figured id try getting one on finance. Theres a speacialized shop under where i work. Been looking at the 2010 Hardrock Disc. Are these any good? read a few reviews they seem to be ok, any opinions? pros/cons?
  • supersonic
    They are ok, nice frames and fairly light, but lowly components. For that money the Carreras and Rockriders are much much better.
  • Malaki
    Thanks Sonic, bought a 2010 Hardrock Disc earlier..Waiting on delivery....

First upgrade im told by a lad at work is the forks? apparently there not to good? for a complete newbie, they should be sufficient for a while, no?
  • supersonic
    This is the thing... if you had gone for the bikes I suggested then upgrading the fork wouldn't be a concern from the off!

But yes, the standard fork is the weak point and I'd save towards a RS Tora.
  • Malaki
    It was simply a matter of what i could access to on finance the easiest, as its not setup in my name. As for upgrades, i dont plan on upgrading just yet, as i said, im still a newbie so i would imagine it wont make much difference while i get used to everything and work on fitness technique. I do appreciate the advice tho. Had a look for the Tora and was overwhelmed with options for just that 1 set of forks lol
  • Hi Malaki,

Good choice. The frame of the Hardrock is good, plus it is a Spesh so will last you a while!

You are right, whilst you are getting back into mtb DONT upgrade yet. Get used to the bike and its geometry, wait until the forks are broke before fixing and enjoy getting your fitness back.

Both of my hardtails (GT Avalanche and now Trek series 6) I buy as standard and thrash the hell out of them. As they break I fix, easy and cheapest way! Dont get bogged down with upgrades yet. Give it 12 months and see how you get on.

Good luck with the Baby. Enjoy being a Dad. Best thing in the world!!
    Trek Series 6
    GT Avalanche
  • Malaki
    Hi,

Finally took the bike out to Licky(SP?) Hills. Within about 5 minutes was on my arse and siding down a steep hill, all in good fun. Think i may need to upgrade the tires to some bigger nobblies as i found i kept losing traction and sliding across wet branches.

At one point i was peddling like a hooligan to jump a stream where someone had made a ramp out of mud. As i got to the ramp the front wheel slid out from under me and i chest planted on the ramp :( wish id got video of it lol

I need to learn how to bunny hop and get the back end up, when i jump the front wheel gets plenty height and the back stays nice and low lol

All in a days fun though, felt sore the days after.

If anyone can suggest some nice nobblies i can get for my bike that'd be apreciated. Its a 21" frame if that helps anyone :)
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    What tyres are you using at the moment and what pressure are you running them at, maybe try dropping the pressure a little to get a bit more traction?

Try panaracer trailrakers, supposedly designed for UK wintery conditions, I'd use them if i could afford some, or maybe maxxis medusa or maxxis ignitors, i like them at the moment.

As for sliding on roots, not sure about branches, I can't reach those personally, its just as much technique as it is tyres. Hitting the slippy roots at an angle as opposed to head on makes it a lot easier to slip on them, if you have to hit them do it at 90 degrees, that way there is no sideways motion to start with so slipping shouldn't happen.

Try jumping the roots too, if you're having problems getting the back end up its a load easier with SPDs not sure if you use them or not, i find it loads trickier with flats, but otherwise just keep practicing, I'm sure there will be loads of tutorials on the web to help too.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    To bunny hop on flats point your toes down and pull the back of the bike up with your feet by pushing against the pedals, while popping the front wheel up, much easier on a full sus but works on a hardtail.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • zedhead
    zedhead Posts: 109
    Don't worry about spending sh*tloads of cash, just get a bike and get out there!
    My wife has a truly horrid supermarket type full suss ultra-cheapo knacker of a bike, and at Glentress last weekend (on her first ride off-road, with next to no road miles for about 20 years) she was passing people going up and downhill! Probably on the edge of adhesion onthe way down, and making some really nasty suspension-bottoming metal-on-metal noises, but she had a whale of a time! :lol: 8)
    Early Orange 5, Felt Z85, Scott Thicko, modified Giant full suss (both nicked)- beat-up single-speed rigid 1992 Saracen (scrapped), and various 2-wheelers with big engines
  • Rickbus
    Rickbus Posts: 39
    Hey Malakai,

Like you i had to go for a Specalized based on the fact that i was getting it through cyclescheme to work scheme so halfords and decathlon where better componets can be had as per SuperSonic comments were not an option to me. But again as like yourself i am a newbie.

I went for the Specalized Pro Disc 2010 collecting it on Saturday so be taking out on Sunday and hopefully not plant myself in to a ramp like yourself lol.

Have no intention or upgrading anytime soon, need to work on fitness, technique, understanding of the bike, knowledge of componets before i start upgrading.
    And also finding my preferrable type of ride, trail, hills, gravel, dirt etc, so i can upgrade accordingly to get the best parts for the rides i prefer.

Anyways that the approach i am going to be taking, good luck with your riding.
    Specialized Hardrick Pro Disc 2010