full suss

dwill
dwill Posts: 150
edited February 2010 in MTB general
am i wrong to dislike the ride of my yeti 575 it was my dream bike but the reality is i much prefer my old ht (upgraded cube reaction k18) im hoping the bike will grow on me but i think its stuck in my head that i dont like it ARGHHHHHHHH!! im stuck in 2 minds wether to sell it or keep it its got my head totally done in.
any advice? :?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Can happen! Did you test it first? If you don't like the geo or suspension design then nothing much you can do.
  • after mountain biking for the last 19 yrs on a hard tail, i finally decided to go for a full suss and got my frame on wednesday slapped all my bits over and it feels good although i think its going to take some getting used too, feels to floaty at mo, probaly need to tweek the shock some more.
    i would give it a few weeks before you decide to sell it, you never know you might enjoy it.
  • dwill
    yes tried 1 before i bought 1 but there was no real climbing to be done i feel like im pedaling through tar whilst climbing i have bought a different set of tyres to try hopefully it makes things better but as the bike stands it just seems to drain me of energy thats with the pro pedal on and the shock set
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    if you ever want to sell the yeti frame pm me plaese :P
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Could be the extra weight your dragging uphill. Heavy duty wheels and a hefty frame and kit makes a difference uphill. You have to pay for the fun down hill somewhere.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    2fast4u2 wrote:
    after mountain biking for the last 19 yrs on a hard tail, i finally decided to go for a full suss and got my frame on wednesday slapped all my bits over and it feels good although i think its going to take some getting used too, feels to floaty at mo, probaly need to tweek the shock some more.
    i would give it a few weeks before you decide to sell it, you never know you might enjoy it.

My Anthem felt a little weird for the first couple of rides, but once I got used to riding slightly differently I loved it. The first time I got back on my HT after that I was sitting down too much and bouncing around in the saddle :lol:

The fact that it 'feels good' straight away is a good sign I reckon.
  • dwill
    i dont think its the weight of the bike tbh i know it will be a few ounds heavier than the cube but maybe a max of 4 lbs llamafarmer i`ll get a go of the cube tomorrow see how daft it feels i hope ur right!!! if not lawman i`ll be in touch :wink:
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    dwill wrote:
    i dont think its the weight of the bike tbh i know it will be a few ounds heavier than the cube but maybe a max of 4 lbs llamafarmer i`ll get a go of the cube tomorrow see how daft it feels i hope ur right!!! if not lawman i`ll be in touch :wink:

lovely, altho if its team turquosie colour i doubt it would look good with my new bright red wheels :lol:
  • When I first bought my AM in September 2008 I was convinced the bike was trying to kill me. It was bigger, heavier, more energy was needed to make it go, slower uphills and darned fast on the descents with brakes that grind the package to a halt in very short distances.
    In the end I got used to it to the point I barely ever ride a HT now unless the terrain dictates it. (Cycleways etc)

Once you start using your FS in anger you'll learn to love the way it soaks up the bumps..
  • I takes me quite a while to used to bike, give a month or two, mess with the shock pressures.
  • chick0
    chick0 Posts: 338
    Keep riding it. Don't think about it too much. Take it to some new trails and ride it harder then you would ever dare too on your hard tail, and you will discover the true ability of the rig.
    In time you will become accustom, and try not to ride your hardtail for a while, and i promise after a month or more, when you go back to your hardtail, it will feel rough, it will feel harsh and it will be alot less fun to hammer over challenging terrain...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    dwill: my advice is to give the bike a longer trial, it will always take a bit of time to get used to a new bike and this is even more so when you go from a ht to a fs.

its no suprise that folk have issues moving to fs. everyone thinks riding a ht makes you a better fs rider. the simple fact is that its a different beast entirely and will take a new skill set to get the best out of it.

that said, it might just be that you are one of the many folk who just prefer riding hardtail bikes. atleast the yeti is very saleable if you decide to sell it on, you could even consider just selling the frame.
  • jadamson
    jadamson Posts: 644
    lawman

dam you got in before me :P i was gonna offer!

yer give it a few more rides! although i loved it on the first but thats just me :D
  • mkf
    mkf Posts: 242
    dont understand why you dont like the yeti, it took me a while to switch from ht to fs but once you get the bike set up you'll find it will be faster and let you ride longer with more comfort then your ht. Test it out ride then back to back on the same trial thats how i was convinced
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    mkf wrote:
    dont understand why you dont like the yeti, it took me a while to switch from ht to fs but once you get the bike set up you'll find it will be faster and let you ride longer with more comfort then your ht. Test it out ride then back to back on the same trial thats how i was convinced

Not all find them faster in all situations.
  • dwill
    changed 3 things today and came back much happier upped psi in rear shock by 10psi tried a racing ralph on the rear this speeded it up but was a bit hairy lol and left the camel back in the house came back with a smile on my face :shock: then i saw my £5 bet on sean wright philips to score first had come up result!!!!!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ace news.

its good when things come together
  • pedlad
    pedlad Posts: 127
    Definately agree with the pther posters...give it some time. I moved from HT to FS last autumn and needed I think a good 10 rides or so to really feel the flow of the bike. Before that I was too getting worried about spending all that money on something that didn't feel as good. Now I'm loving it and having a blast every ride.
  • spent a couple of hours tuning my rear shock this morning and changed my tyres (again) then took it out for a while.feels so much better, loads more lively. i think we are going to get on well! great fun. dont know why i didnt make the change over sooner!. :D :twisted: