glasgow to toulouse

nick the fisher
nick the fisher Posts: 4
edited July 2010 in Tour & expedition
I am going on a run from glasgow to toulouse with a dozen mates in september. The insperatiois a sign outside Beatock labled the Glasgow to Toulouse cycle route. it has bugged me for years so now i want to do the route. I have a planned route down tnhe west midlands through to pool and then britany and onwards to toulouse. I plan to do it in about 15days (964miles) and was wandering if any of you guys have ever done it.

Comments

• pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Welcome to the Forum!

No, wasn't aware of that particular route. Intriguing.

It reminds me of the film Gregory's Girl, with the two schoolboys trying to hitch from Glasgow to Caracas on the strength of a rumour that there were 10 women to each man in that city!

Also, Nicensleazy (single issue poster on this forum) will supply you with a suitable Stranglers track to celebrate the achievement of your objective.

More practically, cycling through France is an utter joy. They have three times as much tarmac for the same head of population as the UK and the B roads actually lead to places that you want to go to. Going as far West as you are, you will also miss out on most of the hills and mountains,which will ease your progress.

Toulouse is a jolly city. I remember having a good cheap meal and plenty of fun in the Arab Quarter there, but that was 25 years ago, now! Mrs Pneumatic lived there for a semester as a student around about the same era and still speaks fondly of it.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• cheers for that, my wife is calling it the mid life crisis project and as i am fat and forty and just recovered from a death defying ilness brought on by 20 years of debauchery she is probably right.any way the fags and 90% of the booze are now out of the window and the training has begun, first job shed 4 stone, nothing like a target.

As far as i can tell the route is a failed european project wich was meant to happpen. all that seems to have happened is the painting of a white line in the gutter of the lockerbie bi pass and the erection of a 40' diametre globe welcoming people to the route. all of this seemed to happen in 1998 so i guess the project manager must have been run over by now. i will be doing the route for a respiratory trust, it would be pretty cool to find out what the original route was but the most important thing is to get to france as quickly as possible so i can resume drinking to much wine!
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    I had a midlife crisis adventure (click the link in the sig). Life changing, in a subtle way.

As for the four stone, just keep riding, eat porridge and feel the benefit.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• Here's a travelogue - this guy went from Ireland, but ended up in Toulouse...

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=R ... =5207&v=D4

Have you got any places you want to visit en route?

I suggest looking at the online Michelin map and finding some of the quieter D roads to enjoy.
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • thanks for this, via michellin has been my main route planner but i am going to have to be careful that it does not put me on very busy roads.
  • nick - I guess you've done the 'by bike' option on Michelin... I know it's not 100 percent sure to highlight quiet roads, but you can usually tell if they're going to be busy or not.
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • Great idea! I've often passed the sign at Beattock - it's quite an unusual design - and wondered what it was all about. Good luck with the ride!
  • nick the fisher,

still doin this ride? all the times Ive travelled between london and glasgow Ive never seen the sign but I live down here in Toulouse just now and its a fantastic place to cycle around.

bon courage