Hard Case Hire - NorthWest Area

boz64
boz64 Posts: 81
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Hi all

No, I'm not looking for a dodgy geezer to fill someone in... I'm actually looking for a hard bike case to rent.

I'm in Merseyside and was wondering if anyone knew of anywhere in the NW that might provide such a service.

Cheers
Boz
Liverpool Mercury CC

Comments

• delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    may i ask... why you want a hard case?,,

if it's for a hol/trip have you considered a bike bag or cardboard box, i have used both on various trips abroad....

if it is a case you after, ronspencers in warrington used to rent them, (so a friend told me) i don't know how true it is or if they still do rent them,, all you can do is ask....
  • boz64
    Hi delcol, thanks for the reply. I will try Ron Spencer.

Want a hard case as I don't trust a soft bag to protect my bike! :wink:
    Liverpool Mercury CC
  • boz64
    No joy at Ron Spencer!

Can anyone else help?? :?:
    Liverpool Mercury CC
  • I spent quite a lot of money buying a hard case a while ago. For sure it protects your bike very well, but it was so bulky it didn't fit in a standard saloon car and I ended up having to hire an estate car at the other end.

To be honest I would buy a bike bag next time and just pad my bike very well. It's much easier to fold the bike bag up and transport it when the bike is not in it.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    what bike do you have..

hard cases tend weigh in at around 8-10 kilo so if your taking a bigish bike it does not leave much weight for your bike and any kit you may wish to put in the bag/case...

if you pack your bike PROPERLEY you should have no trouble with a bike box(free from most shops) or a bike bag...

i think my ultra bike bag weighs in at around 6 kilo on it own, thats just a padded bike bag..
    some airlines have a 32 kilo limmit on bikes....

i used both cardboard box and padded bike bag, on my several trips to whistler..
    it is all in the packing of the bike.....
  • boz64
    I have a full sus mountian bike... weighs around 13kg. + bike box at say 10kg = 23kg. Well within airline limits.

Cardboard box option doesn't appeal... no handles, no wheels! Pain th the ar*e to cart around airport etc. May consider a well padded soft bag i guess.
    Liverpool Mercury CC