You smell that? Do you smell that?

Gussio
Gussio Posts: 2,452
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Heavenly combination of scents from the Stag Brewery and a Waitrose bakery on a cold, dark Upper Richmond Road yesterday morning. Beyond napalm, does anything smell sweeter?

Comments

• Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    As I come down Putney Bridge on the south side and turn left onto Putney Bridge Road you can always smell the kitchens from the Gourmet Burger place that's nearby. Really beefy. Always makes me hungry but I'm only a quarter of the way into my homeward journey at that point.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Every morning I can smell warm bread coming from the bakery I cycle past. It's worse knowing that I'm still an hour and a half from the office and anything remotely resembling a croissant.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I used to cycle past the Cadbury factory in Bourneville. That was heaven, especially in the early hours of the morning after a long day in the lab.

These days I live just round the corner from the Stag brewery...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • When I lived in Oxford, our garden backed onto a KFC yard, where they kept (amongst other things) waste grease. Lovely.

Still ate it though, had to be drunk. Made hangovers all the worse the next day when you pop out for a fag and smell that.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    Call me odd, but I used to find the slightly damp mossy smell of Putney Heath very comforting when I used to live there. Also, if you ride up past the lavender field near Woodmansterne on a warm summer's evening, the smell is almost overpowering - like being bombed by the National Trust.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    I live next door to a Nepalese restaurant - the smells when I get home after a long day may the most tempting thing ever.

(also in Putney - who knew it was so fragrant?)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I ride through Tooting. The less said the better.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    The delicious scent of barbequeing meat coming from a Jamaican shop near New Cross. Almost irresistable from someone who loves braais!
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    BentMikey wrote:
    The delicious scent of barbequeing meat coming from a Jamaican shop near New Cross. Almost irresistable from someone who loves braais!

You one of them Saffas then Mikey? ;-)
  • teticio
    teticio Posts: 107
    i love the smell of the pine trees in the forest that i pass through on my way to work.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    The only thing I ever smell on my ride is manure :(
  • Gussio wrote:
    Heavenly combination of scents from the Stag Brewery and a Waitrose bakery on a cold, dark Upper Richmond Road yesterday morning. Beyond napalm, does anything smell sweeter?

Yup. Cycling on Newport Street (Lambeth, London SE11), which runs behind the Costa bakery. Can't beat the smell of coffee and croissants at that time of the morning....!
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    BentMikey wrote:

I know exactly where you mean. Thank goodness it's only another mile or two home from there because it always reminds me just how officially starving I am.
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    clanton wrote:
    BentMikey wrote:

You one of them Saffas then Mikey? ;-)

Close enough mate, a Zimbo. Well not any more since that tosser Mugabe illegally removed my birthright and citizenship, so I'm actually a real Dutchman.
    suzyb wrote:
    The only thing I ever smell on my ride is manure :(

I do love the smell of the countryside!!
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Smelt like spring last night on one of the more countrified stretches of my ride.

Then in the last town before mine I ride past a chip shop. sweet Jeesy Creesy that makes me feel hungry.
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Pastries and hot chocolate from a hotel alongside the river Derwent. It's a corporate monstrosity, so you know they're going to be straight out of a plastic pack, but they certainly smell good! Just like a French cafe first thing in the morning.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    this thread brings this to my mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6q9nBusrq8
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I love the smell coming from Atkinsons in Lancaster when they're roasting coffee beans.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Furbes
    Furbes Posts: 289
    All i smell is car fumes :x
    Oh , to live or work in the country !
  • Jaffa Cakes baking in the morning. MInd you that does mean it's a strong head wind for me and it does make me really really hungry.
    26km each way commute on a Decathlon Comp 1 2006 Road Bike

2009 Communting Totals - Car 112 miles Bike 2,765 miles