How many times should you patch an inner-tube?

curium
curium Posts: 815
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
The one in my rear tyre and the one in my saddle-bag both now have a patch each.

Comments

• amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    No limit as long as:

A) The valve is sound.
    B) You don't have patches on top of other patches (ie there must be a bit of original tube rubber between each patch, even if they're nearly touching).

The rubber of the patch bonds to the rubber of the tube at a molecular level so a patched tube is as strong as a fresh tube provided you stick to the rules above, and assuming you made a good job of patching it.
  • amnezia wrote:

Cheapskate. 116.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I pre-patch my tubes. This very effectively repairs punctures before they happen.
  • _Brun_ wrote:
    I pre-patch my tubes. This very effectively repairs punctures before they happen.

:lol::lol:
  • _Brun_ wrote:

Has anyone tried using patches on the inside of tyres, as a sort of preventative pre-patching? I noticed that what used to be a very small cut in my tyre has gradually got larger so that it's clearly a chink in the PF armour. Patching the tyre itself, rather like a tyre boot, should give the tube a little more protection, shouldn't it?
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    _Brun_ wrote:

Has anyone tried using patches on the inside of tyres, as a sort of preventative pre-patching? I noticed that what used to be a very small cut in my tyre has gradually got larger so that it's clearly a chink in the PF armour. Patching the tyre itself, rather like a tyre boot, should give the tube a little more protection, shouldn't it?

I've done that, and it's worked. As has insulating tape. However, you need to watch that the adhesive on the tape doesn't cause a flat, too! Happened to me three times. I was swearing at my rear tyre a lot that week.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    _Brun_ wrote:

Keyboard!!!
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    _Brun_ wrote:

true, but isn't it the tyres way of telling you "Put me out to pasture"
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    I patch mine a lot because I'm too cheap to buy new ones and I love patching. Basically patch until I can't patch them any more, usually either valve / tube damage or overlapping patches.
  • I put 2x18 mm tubes in my 35 mm tyre so if one punt* then the other takes over until I get home.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Clever Pun wrote:
    _Brun_ wrote:

true, but isn't it the tyres way of telling you "Put me out to pasture"

You're right, of course, and I actually have a brand new pair of tyres sitting around waiting to go on. But with the roads as they are at the moment I'm reluctant to put them on - why shred up a new set of tyres - so I'm muddling on until they're irreparable.
  • al2098
    al2098 Posts: 174
    Get some self sealing tubes and never patch them :shock:
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    My plan is to keep patching until the valve goes but so far I think the most I've got is 1.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Furbes
    Furbes Posts: 289
    I put 2x18 mm tubes in my 35 mm tyre so if one punt* then the other takes over until I get home.

Where does the other valve go ?
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    :roll:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Will Snow
    Will Snow Posts: 1,154
    amnezia wrote:

i got it!!
    i ride a hardtail
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Will Snow wrote:
    amnezia wrote:

i got it!!

Duh!

:lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    _Brun_ wrote:

To keep a damaged tyre going a little longer... pump the tyre up hard so the small cut opens up, dab in a bit of superglue, deflate the tyre a little just to close the close the cut and let the glue harden.

This works especially well for embedded flint and glass which otherwise will work their way though and cause p*s. You have to inspect the tyre regularly and carefully pick out the offending items with a sharp point first!
  • rally200
    rally200 Posts: 646
    patch them for ever until your kids finally persuade you to cut a valve out and use it to make water rockets (it's what track pumps were made for)