Sorted my ground water management

Kiblams
Kiblams Posts: 2,423
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Hey guys, I have been struggling with excessive ground water and trying to keep my legs/feet dry all winter, all the water that my fender fails to catch was hitting my dowtube and spraying all over my legs. I have finally sorted now by adding a 'crudcatcher-style' mud guard to my downtube close to the BB, the affect of which is something to catch the water that my front fender doesn't :D

I got to test it last night in the melting ice and the effect was fantastic! it does however rely on not turning the front wheel too much when hitting ground water/puddles.

You can kind of see the guard I this pic I took this morning:
swans%20smaller.jpg
I am chuffed I can get to work with dry legs and feet now :D

Has anyone else tried this set-up before? (not sure it would fit on skinny road bikes though?)

Comments

• BentMikey
    BentMikey Posts: 4,895
    That's pretty cool! I did something similar myself for my recumbent to keep my bum drier, but I've now managed to fit a reasonable 406 mudguard so that's plenty enough.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    you do seem to have a few lights on there
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • I ran the same setup with my Tricross for a while. I found the water would spray out the top of the mudguards on really wet days and soak the top half of everything.

I fitted the crud-catcher and solved that problem, and then got better mudguards with a bottom rubber section to keep the lower half dry
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    A fender???? :shock:

Tut, tut, my friend. A fender is a rope thingie used to protect boat sides from other boats or harbour side.

I believe, my dear chap, that you are referring to your front mudguard.
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
  • why not just extend the mudguard to nearly the road?
    Cotic Soul rider.
  • why not just extend the mudguard to nearly the road?

+1 they are shorties front and back arent they.

You could get longer ones and with a rubber flared end that catch early spray off.

get a longer rear one and you'd have somewhere else to put another back light :wink:
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423

Tut, tut, my friend. A fender is a rope thingie used to protect boat sides from other boats or harbour side.

My apologies, is 'fender' an americanism for mud guards? :?
    get a longer rear one and you'd have somewhere else to put another back light :wink:

I like your thinking! :wink:

I have been considering 'proper' mudguards for the bike, as these are plastic and not supported by any rods so the weight of a mudflap extending to the ground makes the front mudguard very unstable at speed.

The small 'crud-catcher' style guard was only £2 from Wilkos and does the job just fine for me, plus the £35 price attached to most full mudguard sets is more than the bike is worth :wink:
  • Mike Healey
    Kiblams wrote:

Apology accepted, my dear fellow. Should, however, you, in future, use such Americanisms as "paceline" for "chaingang", or "clinchers" for "high pressures", I am afraid you will become the on-line victim of Pedants

Pernickety
    Educators
    Deleting
    American
    Native
    Slang
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
  • Personally I think you need some more rear lights :P
  • I didn't see anything covering the rear half of the back wheel - does this mean you get a nice brown streak up your back every trip?
  • Kiblams wrote:

Apology accepted, my dear fellow. Should, however, you, in future, use such Americanisms as "paceline" for "chaingang", or "clinchers" for "high pressures", I am afraid you will become the on-line victim of Pedants

Pernickety
    Educators
    Deleting
    American
    Native
    Slang

not to be a pedant myself shouldn't there be a word beginning with T in that list? or have i missed the point?
    Genesis Altitude
    BMC Team Machine
  • Mike Healey
    smegurmum wrote:
    Kiblams wrote:

Pernickety
    Educators
    Deleting
    American
    Native
    Tendentious
    Slang

not to be a pedant myself shouldn't there be a word beginning with T in that list? or have i missed the point?
    Just testing ;)