Morning energy

londonbairn
londonbairn Posts: 316
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Recently I haven't cycled to near my capacity in the morning, usually on the way home I can belt it no problem, but the morning is a struggle. I wonder if it is one of the following;

1. Nutrition - I eat a huge bowl of shreddies when I wake up, maybe these are released slowly as expendable energy?
2. Bag - my bag is heavy, but could argue both ways have the same bag
3. General energy - I commute 4/5 times a week, and tend to do some intensive weights 3-4 times a week in the evening, plus tending to a girlfriend :P

I'd be more inclined to say it's number 1 - anyone who has felt the same, and what you have done to mitigate?

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I'm quicker in the evening. My legs have warmed up more and I just feel looser. I've read a few articles about how your body temp warms up during the day and the muscles stretch, so the best time to exercise is later in the day. Whatever I eat in the morning, I can't get going as well.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I feel the same!

Could add wind direction to the list, although I'm sure it haunts me in the morning and changes direction to haunt me going home!
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    I think most people find it tougher in the morning. It does take a while for your body to get into gear. How long is your morning commute? I've been doign some 1.5h rides in the morning before work and i'm usually really struggling for the first 30mins (cold fingers and toes especially). 45min -1h and i'm cruising fine from then on (and all warmed up).
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • How far are you going?
    have you tried it on an empty stomach and having breakfast when you get in? Perhaps the surge of food intake just before getting on the bike is having a detremental effect? Maybe its concentrating too much blood flow to your gut to absorb the Shreddies as quick as possible as its your first meal out of bed?

I never eat before cycling in to work in the morning, though would sometimes take a Granola bar in the jersey pocket to eat if i am feeling hungry before i even leave, Just in case I feel rapidly low on energy. It has only happened about 3 times in 4 years of commuting my longer distance.
  • I find it's just because I'm more inclined to want to get to my destination quicker on the way home!
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    I have to say I think I'm the opposite - in the morning I find I have bags of energy, after a long day at work I'm often quite tired and can't give it quite as much.

I don't eat in the morning till after I arrive at work or if I do its just a quick breakfast bar so maybe its the big bowl of shreddies thats weighing you down.

Having just re-read all the posts I've just realised that its probably entirely to do with wind direction. My commute home in the evenings is almost invariably into a belting headwind - especially in the summer.
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    edited February 2010
    Recently I haven't cycled to near my capacity in the morning, usually on the way home I can belt it no problem, but the morning is a struggle. I wonder if it is one of the following;

1. Nutrition - I eat a huge bowl of shreddies when I wake up, maybe these are released slowly as expendable energy?
    2. Bag - my bag is heavy, but could argue both ways have the same bag
    3. General energy - I commute 4/5 times a week, and tend to do some intensive weights 3-4 times a week in the evening, plus tending to a girlfriend :P

I'd be more inclined to say it's number 1 - anyone who has felt the same, and what you have done to mitigate?

Having experimented with Shreddies, I can confirm that they don't really match up to 3 Weetabix + a handful of sultanas.

I find that the previous night's dinner is more important though, as this will be all digested before you set off (your breakfast will have only just started).
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Takes a while for food to be processed and then released, generally.

Try getting up a bit earlier and eating, see if that makes a difference?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Shreddies are empty - almost an air biscuit as far as I can tell. Try porridge instead. It's a good slow release food, and a sack of the stuff is about 4p in Asda. Can't fault it.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    CiB wrote:
    Shreddies are empty - almost an air biscuit as far as I can tell. Try porridge instead. It's a good slow release food, and a sack of the stuff is about 4p in Asda. Can't fault it.
    Except it looks like wallpaper paste and tastes like I'd imagine wallpaper paste tastes like.
    yucky.gif
  • suzyb wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    Except it looks like wallpaper paste and tastes like I'd imagine wallpaper paste tastes like.
    yucky.gif
    Ah, but if you mix one part oats with one part sugar, it tastes much better, plus you get a monster sugar kick followed by slow energy release from the oats. :D
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    suzyb wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    yucky.gif
    Ah, but if you mix one part oats with one part sugar, it tastes much better, plus you get a monster sugar kick followed by slow energy release from the oats. :D

I buy the porridge from dorset cereals with some driet fruit in, I'll then add mixed fruit and nuts and then the money shot golden syrup and you're good to go, tastes good too.

I only do that at the weekends or before a 'proper' ride, I just have some oj before the mornings commute
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Wallpaper paste wasn't particularly appetizing as a description of porridge but money shot takes the biscuit, so to speak. I'll stick with Weetabix for now thanks. :cry:
  • This is my morning food, about 30 mins before setting off:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1590/goodforyou-granola

Quick to make a batch, lasts (except it gets eaten first), mix of slower and faster energy release foods and cos it's home-made no unseen nasty bits added.

Using a mix of oats, rye and spelt flakes works well.

Great with milk, better with yoghurt, even better with maslanka (buttermilk).
  • Try some SiS nocte before bed, really helped my rowers with handling early morning training.