is it just me ?

jondi
jondi Posts: 152
edited February 2010 in MTB beginners
Whenever i try to alter or correct my gears front and back, I seem to make them worse. I put a new chain on recently but the gears were slipping tried to align them, just made it worse and wish i never started to alter them.

How do you know if you got the right tension on chain ? also best way to go about altering gears ? without making them worse.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just changing the chain you should not need to adjust anything.

if things are skipping then maybe other parts are too worn.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • jondi
    Maybe , but bike wasn't very old before the link snapped on chain either. I have trouble getting gears to work all the way from top to bottom.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Have you followed the guide on Park Tool for indexing gears? The link is in Nick's sig if you need it.
  • I found having a lot of patience and watching videos on youtube to be helpful. I'm rubbish at learning from books so watching was so much better for me.

Having a workshop stand made things a lot easier (yet anther ebay purchase for me!).

I had problems with trying it get all my gears to index properly, really frustrating as I spent ages trying to get them right and then I discovered I had a bent mech hanger. :oops:
    Trek Top Fuel 9 2010, Stumpy Pro 2009 ,Giant XTC3 2009, Qu-ax Penny Farthing,
    Elswick Hopper Model M delivery Bike 1960

God Shave The Queen!
  • jondi
    Yeh know what you mean, bicycletutor.com has good tips and video's
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    GHill wrote:
    Have you followed the guide on Park Tool for indexing gears? The link is in Nick's sig if you need it.

Agreed, if you follow that guide carefully it's not too difficult to get the indexing sorted.
  • nfrang
    nfrang Posts: 250
    I'm with ya jondi messing always seems to make things worse! Right now i've got one or two gears out but the rest are spot on...as Petty Vagrant said a workstand would make things way easier.
  • If you can't do it, take it to a bike shop! Also new chain + old cassette normally equals slippage.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    I found having a lot of patience and watching videos on youtube to be helpful. I'm rubbish at learning from books so watching was so much better for me.

I know what you mean; 2 girls 1 cup taught me all I need to know about bleeding brakes :wink:

adjusting indexing takes perseverance. Tolerances on 9sp are tight so you need to make sure that everything is clean before you start and half a turn can make all the difference.

read a guide or co-opt a mate who knows how to do it but as Nick says, if you changed the chain and the gears are immediately slipping then likely your cassette is worn. How old was the chain that snapped and how many miles do you rekon you put into it?
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day