Hope Tech Brakes & Levers - how did you fit yours?

KonaKurt
KonaKurt Posts: 720
edited February 2010 in MTB general
I'm interested in Hope Tech Brakes, either X2 or X4, which seem to be getting great reviews. But i have heard that due to the bulky lever body, they are a pain to fit against most shifters. I would imagine the small levers don't help either!

To those of you with Hope brakes, got any pics of how you fitted yours?

KK.
"Living in Hope".

Comments

• i asked this a while ago..

There are adapters on crc... the main issues being with sram xo and shimano xt.

Although, I emailed hope and according to them the adapter shouldn't really be needed if you run your shifters a certain way (either inside or outside the brake lever, I can't remember which).
  • KonaKurt
    I have XT Rapidfire shifters. I admit they are pretty useless, but i do want to keep my indicator pods on for show! If only Hope made them with a long pair of levers for man sized hands it wouldn't be much of a problem.

Any pics anyone?

KK.
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    Depends if you like/need the pesky gear indicators - XT can be unscrewed and come with a blanking plate already. I have XT levers and Tech levers and they fit just fine for me. Small lever not so much of an issue as plenty of power for my needs - generally one finger, but will use 2 if needs be (in the Alps). Plenty of adjustment as well and given the 2-release on XT shifters, shifting is fine too.

Starting from the outside - in, Grip, shifter, brake lever:

sgtiqp.jpg

2el5kz5.jpg
  • KonaKurt
    OK, thanks Horton. I'm likely to have my shifters right up against my grips. But that's not too bad a fit. I would imagine that running the shifters inside of the levers is too impractical due to their size...?

KK.
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    I like to keep my shifters out the way (but not too far). I've got decent sized hands, but yeah, if you ran the shifters inside the levers, you would either be grabbing the brake lever right by the pivot, or not be able to reach the shifters without moving your whole hand across (unless you have freakishly long thumbs). Neither is ideal

What part of Zummerzet are you - maybe see if a friendly LBS will let you borrow a lever in the shop before you splash any cash.
  • I've got mine mounted on the Hope adaptors. Shifters are SLX. Nice and neat.

IMG_08521.jpg

IMG_08511.jpg
  • Depending on your shifters, maybe a combo bracket would suit. These are for XO's
    DSC001271204x903.jpg