What's your security setup?

JaySmitt
JaySmitt Posts: 34
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Ok my GT Aggressor XC3 got stolen yesterday I had quite a hefty cable lock on it but still some dirty thief managed to cut through it without being seen (or maybe no-one had the balls to stop him). It wasn't just my bike either a imported Harrow mountain bike was also stolen which had a huge lock on it which they had discarded nearby. It was obvious they had used bolt-cutters of some sort (valued at around £1000).

Luckily I had the bike insured so I'll be getting a Carrera Kraken as a replacement, but I'm really confused on how I'm supposed to keep my bike secured when anyone can walk round with a circular saw in hand and no-one has the balls to say wtf are you doing!?!

I'm looking at getting a Kryptonite New York Standard lock (09) is it even worth the money or should I just keep my bike in the garage and walk to college? But I still want to ride a bike to college so I was thinking of taking the front wheel off and keeping it in my class room.

Should I buy multiple locks?

Any recommendations?
GT Aggressor XC 3 <-- Nicked : (
Carrera Kraken

Comments

• buy a crappy hack bike and save you mtb for the trails. Its the only way.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    buy a crappy hack bike and save you mtb for the trails. Its the only way.

+1
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Have to agree. If they want your bike badly enough they'll be able to defeat any lock.
  • This has pissed me right off!
    Carrera Kraken
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    JaySmitt wrote:
    This has pissed me right off!

Been there mate. More than once.
  • +1 hack bike

I leave my commute bike in the garden with 2 chains on; at work with a cheap U-lock. But more importantly it's a singlespeeder that has rust and corrosion on it - which puts everyone off.

:wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    I leave my commute bike in the garden with 2 chains on; at work with a cheap U-lock. But more importantly it's a singlespeeder that has rust and corrosion on it - which puts everyone off.

:wink:

Do you ride my commuter bike!?! :? You just managed to describe me and my hack commuter perfectly there :shock:
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Unfortunately secure bike parking of crapolla bikes if they have to be left in the open are the only way forward.

The range of bikes you see locked up round London during the day is staggering, why people would ever want to leave a £1k+ carbon road bike out on the street I'll never know
  • feel sorry for you mate. Took mine to centre parcs last year, worried about it the whole time with two locks on it. Ended up leaving it in the apartment and hiring a bike for going around with the family and left mine for going out on the trails. End of the day if they want something they will get it and until society changes and human rights is put on the back burner then this country is only going one way. Frustrating.
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2008
  • Tell you what, I'm just gonna bring the bike in the classroom. Luckily there's a lift in the building so shouldn't be a problem. Also my tutor is into biking himself although he doesn't ride to college he will understand and I would hope support me if anyone complains.

The fact that a lot of people don't respect the fact that people pay to get things in this world sickens me.

I really just want a mug shot of the prick who stole my bike, I'd make sure he could never ride a bike again. Worst thing of all is they probably sold this bike valued at £550 for about £50 so they can feed their dirty habit.

:evil:
    Carrera Kraken
  • Get the hack bike. Anything half decent left unattended is going to be nicked at some point, and even if it's a bag of hammers it still has a good chance of dissapearing, it's just not much of a loss if it cost you £20.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Gumtree is your friend...