Cleaning waterproofs

mowzer
mowzer Posts: 79
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Am not very clued up when it comes to washing clothes or using the washing machine
for that matter. Not sure how you would go about washing my waterproof trousers. Does anyone have any advice/tips or is it just a case of chucking them in the machine ?

Comments

• read the instructions on the label just incase, but a cold wash should be fine for them, and dont tumble dry
    i spent all me money on whisky and beer!!!
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Don't use normal washing powder,it kills the Durable water repellant(DWR) wash with pure soap flakes or nikwax etc.Also put the machine on a full cycle EMPTY before hand to clean out any detergent.Some need a cool iron to refresh the DWR afterwards.
  • mowzer
    mowzer Posts: 79
    Thanks for that, i'll let the wife know.
    They are a pair of Altura attack trousers, the tag that was attached was "missplaced"
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I just wash mine downwith water and a sponge due to the material, then drip dry :)
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    have look here
    http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/index.php
    should help,prob best avoid the washing machine unless really shi7 up
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    I have a feeling I am going to get really wet the next time it rains on the way to work...

Mine have been washed after every muddy trail ride in the machine :?
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    you can get stuff to re proof them, you can get stuff to make normal stuff water proof too
    http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/index.php
    other brands available too
  • hi mate
    I've got the same trousers, washed them a couple of times. Best thing to do is wash them on a cold wash, but instead of soap flakes or whatever you can just wash them without any detergent, or depending on how long they've been used use Grangers, Evans sell it, as do most outdoor shops (Blacks, Millets etc). They do a few, but there's one that you actually stick where you'd normally stick the washing powder. Works a treat and is actually the stuff altura reccomend. Hope that helps!
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    NikWax Tech Wash and TX Direct every few washes to replenish the waterproofing.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Cheers guys, will give it a go :D