Is it normal for a rear brake to wear out faster on a bike?

Valy
Valy Posts: 1,321
edited February 2010 in MTB general
I had the rear disk changed from Avid G2 to a Tektro one (http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/2554/34829.jpg) as the G2 was not straight. The front brake still has the G2 rotor and the pads are not as worn out as on the rear brakes... if anything I would think that the front would wear out faster, but I got told that "people use rear brakes more" in the shop.

So, what do you all say? Thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    most people tend to do so as they drag it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Mine tend to but it'll vary from rider to rider. I'm trying to use my front more, better stopping power.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    In the summer my front pads wear faster, in the winter ice/mud the back wears faster
  • Valy
    So as far as the rotors go, they won't have any effect on how fast the pads wear?

I think I brake evenly with front and rear, but of course it might vary wildly in actual usage.
  • As Nick mentioned, if you use your rear brake too much - as a safety net, or comfort blanket (whatever you want to call it) down hills, and round twisties.

The front brake is a much more powerful method of braking, and you won't fire over the bars so long as you can control your grip :lol:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    what are brakes ?
    got these lever things on the handle-bars , never use them though.
    :wink:
  • biff55 wrote:
    what are brakes ?
    got these lever things on the handle-bars , never use them though.
    :wink:
    Take 'em off then... I dare you!

:lol:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Valy
    b-b-b-bbut can rotors effect wear on pads? :lol:
  • Valy wrote:
    If you have disc brake rotors, they do wear pads down.

If you don't want it to happen, take the rotors off, and your disc brake pads will stay 100%, but be warned, this reduces braking efficiency 100% :shock:

Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Valy
    Valy wrote:
    If you have disc brake rotors, they do wear pads down.

If you don't want it to happen, take the rotors off, and your disc brake pads will stay 100%, but be warned, this reduces braking efficiency 100% :shock:

Godamit, there I was thinking "wow, the perfect solution".

But can say a disk A result in more wear than a disk B?
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Different rotors can wear pads out at a different rate, if that was your question.
  • Valy
    GHill wrote:
    Different rotors can wear pads out at a different rate, if that was your question.
    That was indeed.

avidrotorcleansweep.jpg vs br407z22160.jpg
    Either way, it does not seem like I can have it changed by the shop. I wonder what advantages there might be between the two designs - as one costs about twice as much as the other...
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    My rear brake wears a bit quicker.

Rear for slowing, Front for stopping
  • nicklouse
    wear is part of the braking process as is heat and noise.

they all need to be present in some form or you do not get good braking.

Also some pad makers will not warranty their pads with some rotors.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • Valy
    nicklouse wrote:
    wear is part of the braking process as is heat and noise.

they all need to be present in some form or you do not get good braking.

Also some pad makers will not warranty their pads with some rotors.

Well, of course wear is inevitable, I as only asking whether different rotors can wear pads out quicker - ie the Tektro one vs the Avid one. That's all.
  • nicklouse
    yes.

but like i said most people wear out the rear pads first anyway.
  • Valy
    nicklouse wrote:
    yes.

but like i said most people wear out the rear pads first anyway.

I see. Oh well - got some pads on the way, see how they will be.

Thanks for the quick replies all!
  • biff55
    i have the tektro rotors shown in the pic , they're quality products , no probs using them.
    still on first set of pads after 6 months of regular riding.
    ignore the cost difference valy , they're just as good as the avids.
  • Valy
    biff55 wrote:
    i have the tektro rotors shown in the pic , they're quality products , no probs using them.
    still on first set of pads after 6 months of regular riding.
    ignore the cost difference valy , they're just as good as the avids.

I see. I did read in the user reviews on CRC for AVid BB5 pads that they do ware out quite fast. They are organic - though I am not too clear on what the differences are between organic and non-organic ones - except that so far I've gathered that the non-organic ones last longer and that the organic ones have better modulation and are quieter.. .S:

I dono - might have to properly look somewhere.
  • biff55
    metal sintered pads are a harder compound than standard organic pads and will last
    longer.
    i have organic pads on rear , sintered pads on front , both work well and no noisier than
    each other.
    some pads are just crap , not always the rotors fault.
  • Valy
    I see.

As far as pdas go - yeah you can probalby get ones for 1/2 the price but buy them twice sa often.
  • I've just replaced the rear pads on my Pitch, I'd say they've done around 550 miles- the fronts still have loads of meat left.

I've put some Superstar sintered pads in- very impressed so far- cheap as chips too 8)
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • Valy
    I've just replaced the rear pads on my Pitch, I'd say they've done around 550 miles- the fronts still have loads of meat left.

I've put some Superstar sintered pads in- very impressed so far- cheap as chips too 8)

I see. Igot some sintered padson the way and hopefully they should get here today.
  • Valy
    Just fitted and seem to work pretty well. I will probably get some for the front quite soon, if not right now.

Just a note: I think it was mtbr.com where I read in the user reviews that apparently the pads can be a PIA to replace on BB5s. Was a bit fiddly in places, but overall quite straight forward - I think I would replace the pads on BB5s rather than on V-brakes any day. :D