New Club in Caerphilly and rides.

steveaich
steveaich Posts: 19
edited March 2010 in MTB rides
We're setting up a new Cyle and Triathlon club in Caerphilly.

First meeting is on Tues 2nd Mar at 7.30.

We're looking for new members and also committee members/ride leaders/volunteers.

For more info see http://www.castlebikes.co.uk/index.php/club

Comments

• Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    Will this include MTB trips to Cwmcarn/Afan etc?

If so, count me in
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • oli says hi byt he way
  • Squarepants, it will include whatever you want it to include. Although we are doing a night lap of Cwm Carn on Thurs eve, meet in the visitor centre carpark at 7 if you want to join us.

Message to Oli, get on with some work you slaaker.
  • Squarepants
    Sounds like I may be there for that..

How essential are lights :?

I'm familier with Cwmcarn but haven't ridden it in the dark for some time, and last time I did I was well illuminated. This may be a silly question...

Will you all be riding with lights?
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
  • Lights would be essential, as it will be pitch black without them.

If you want to hire a light, see this page for details...

http://www.castlebikes.co.uk/index.php/bike-light-hire

Steve
  • Squarepants
    that sounds ideal Steve, can you arrange that? I'm working in the centre of Cardiff tomorrow so won't be able to get to the shop (I live in Thornhill) any idea's?

(I'm assuming you're affiliated with the shop, sorry to ask if your not :D )

EDIT: btw what sort of numbers, age group will be in attendance?
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
  • Not going to be able to get you a light sorted for tonight, sorry!

Why don't you come up to the shop next Thurs and join the ride from the shop, sorting out lights will then be much easier. (The local riding round Caerphilly is every bit as good as Cwm Carn, it's just nice to go somewhere else every now and then.
  • Squarepants
    Ok Steve may well do that. I'm riding Cwmcarn this sat in all likelyhood? Anyone going up in the AM?
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Ok Steve may well do that. I'm riding Cwmcarn this sat in all likelyhood? Anyone going up in the AM?

i'm gonna try and get there, what time u going?
  • Squarepants
    Hi kev,

Depends if one of the other boys is riding too, if he isn't though I'm game for going up early, say be there at half 9 (earlyish anyway) might fit in two loops if I'm feeling 'ard. Will be riding the twrch up - free ride and then the 'new' sweepy bit at the bottom.

Whats your plan?
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
  • welshkev
    Hi kev,

Depends if one of the other boys is riding too, if he isn't though I'm game for going up early, say be there at half 9 (earlyish anyway) might fit in two loops if I'm feeling 'ard. Will be riding the twrch up - free ride and then the 'new' sweepy bit at the bottom.

Whats your plan?

if i do go it'll be around 9 - half 9ish. won't be doing 2 loops though :shock:

look out for a blue golf with a white felt on the roof with a baby on board sign in the back
  • Squarepants
    Ok will do, this week I will be mostly driving a Red Leon Cupra R.

See you there fella.
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
  • Squarepants
    Well did Cwmcarn today, got my two loops in, did cheat and take the road to the crossing on the second lap. Got up there about 8:50 Kev, missed you but maybe next time? Think I saw your Golf there, S reg?

1st lap got me around in 1H:10. How does this compare to a good time? About 10 guys altogether went passed me which was a bit frustrating, their fitness levels I'll assume are much better than mine, why arn't I that fit by now though :cry:

Another outstanding day, loved every minute of it, and sintered pads are difinately the way forward... BTW can anyone local bleed my front 3's for me? I'll be happy to pay but not really wanting to buy an Avid bleed kit myself and too lazy to make my own ala somewhere else on the forum.

Word
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
  • 1hour ten is good, the climb is hard work, most people do about 1hour25, couldnt get it below an hour the year before last though.

Maybe this year!
  • welshkev
    Well did Cwmcarn today, got my two loops in, did cheat and take the road to the crossing on the second lap. Got up there about 8:50 Kev, missed you but maybe next time? Think I saw your Golf there, S reg?
    1st lap got me around in 1H:10. How does this compare to a good time? About 10 guys altogether went passed me which was a bit frustrating, their fitness levels I'll assume are much better than mine, why arn't I that fit by now though :cry:

Another outstanding day, loved every minute of it, and sintered pads are difinately the way forward... BTW can anyone local bleed my front 3's for me? I'll be happy to pay but not really wanting to buy an Avid bleed kit myself and too lazy to make my own ala somewhere else on the forum.

Word

hi mate,

sorry i didn't make it up there, my golf is a blue 04 plate. i forgot that i had to go to the bank and sort out a few things before i go on holiday next sat.

1hr 10 is a good time, i usually do it in about 1hr30 1 hr40. i'd gonna get it down to closer to an hour this summer though :D

maybe we should have a welsh member forum meet at cwmcarn or afan sometime?
  • Squarepants
    Hi Kev,

Good idea, I'm yet to ride Afan, I don't know much about it tbh, how it compares to Cwm etc...

I'll be at Cwmcarn this weekend (hoping the very annoying squeel from my front brake goes away) either sat midday ish or Sunday AM. I may catch up with you then, any one else going up this weekend? I'm definately up for Afan too sometime.

I'm guessing when things get a little dryer we should be a bit quicker, the mud from Cwm this weekend wouldn't come off even when I had the hose under pressure on it after the ride. Very sticky/heavy stuff atm, looking forward to having a dusty trail again :D

Whos up for a meet this weekend then? Steve, anyone from your faction about, would be nice to get some more info on the shop etc...
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
  • welshkev
    afan is great, i much prefer it to cwmcarn but obviously cwmcarn is only 15mins from my house :D

i'm on holiday now until the 1st march but we'll have to get something organised for a trip to afan soon :D i prefer the wall and penhydd trails myself but whytes is the trail of choice for most people, it's got quite a knarly climb (not as bad as cwmcarn) with some really nice downhill sections, the energy freeride bit is cool, as is windy point :D
  • Nooo JUly trail kicks butt! all the best bits of skyline,

Was up on the Jul trail on SAt, freezing but fun, there was Ice everywhere lol.
  • Squarepants
    We'll I'm none the wiser about any of the routes atm so I'm game for whatever :D nice downhill sections and freeride sounds good to me as thats what I go to Cwm for...

We'll arrange something for March then? Hopefully the weather will be more favourable then too. I hope I don't like Afan over Cwmcarn too much, it's too far away to be practical :roll:
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
  • I go to Afan most weekends through the summer, and use Cwm as a blast train in the week :)

Love Afan
  • welshkev
    We'll I'm none the wiser about any of the routes atm so I'm game for whatever :D nice downhill sections and freeride sounds good to me as thats what I go to Cwm for...

We'll arrange something for March then? Hopefully the weather will be more favourable then too. I hope I don't like Afan over Cwmcarn too much, it's too far away to be practical :roll:

yeah, lets try and get a load of to afan say around the second weekend in march? anyone else up for that? where do you live mate?
  • Well Sort arrive at afan depending on the day at about 11.. I dont get out of bed before 9 ona weekend see :p
  • Squarepants
    I should probably do my own research however as this may benefit others reading this thread, how does Afan compare to Cwmcarn? is Afan bigger/smaller, more flowing/technical, more forest/open? I find Cwmcarn a good mix of all of the above, and it's big enough to keep its appeal week after week after week.

2nd week of March sounds good to me.
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
  • welshkev
    afan/glycorrwg has loads more trails than cwmcarn: check this out to save me explaining it all :D

http://www.mbwales.com/en/content/cms/C ... _Park.aspx
  • there is alot more at afan the investment was better spent there, where Cwm's center is a pathetic waste of money in my veiw.

Afan has two centers, afan forrestry and glyncorrwg then second being way more bike specific. there are way more trails which are long that cwm and i would say more fun the cwm is definately the more technical trail.
  • Squarepants
    Thanks Kev i'll have a read.

More trails sounds good as that as I see it is the limiting factor with Cwmcarn. Same old trail, although I'm not bored of it yet and doubt will be for a long time. Im in North Cardiff, so I'm hoping Afan isn't too far away. Any of you guys got a van we can chuck a few bikes in :? :D
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
  • Squarepants
    Can we do Skyline :D:D:D
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
  • Lol my fitness is too low for Skyline at the moment, was off the bike since october, been getting out the last few weeks when i can. Did the July trail last sat (25k trunkated Skyline) and had moved office the day before.. Started to crawl on the last climb lol but i declare it was charachter building!
  • Squarepants
    Anyone riding Cwmcarn tmrw AM, about half 9, 10ish?
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
  • welshkev
    just got back from my hols this morning, been in tenerife for a week, maybe riding there this weekend though :D