GT Karakorum circa 1996/97

kfinlay
kfinlay Posts: 763
edited February 2010 in MTB general
Hi All,

I've got a completely original GT Karakorum, yellow cro-mo 18" frame with white Rockshox Judy XC front forks (minus boots), and full Deore LX groupo - even has original WTB tyres and embroidered saddle. It has done less than 500 commuting road only miles from when I bought it about 12 years or so ago. It does have a few scratches and nicks on the frame from storage in the shed and moving house but no rust on chain etc. Can't see my using it much as I now ride a road bike and training for sportives etc.
Would you guys say it is worth selling, if so then how much would it be worth?
Or should I just keep it, put road tyres on it and use it during poor whether when I don't want to risk my road bike?
Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum

Comments

• kfinlay
    anyone willing to help out a roadie :?: :wink:
    Kev

• For a start, ''How much is it worth'' treads are banned.

Secondly, you have no pictures.

It's only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. Probably not alot.

If you don't want it, eBay it, or stick it in the classifieds. If you want to keep it, all it'll cost you is some money for some slicks.
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Like my '96 Proflex, your Karakorum is practically worthless to anyone apart from yourself. Having said that I think there's nothing wrong with having a 'spare' bike or two and even if it is old, providing it's not knackered there's no reason why you shouldn't keep it.
  • kfinlay
    For a start, ''How much is it worth'' treads are banned.

Secondly, you have no pictures.

It's only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. Probably not alot.

If you don't want it, eBay it, or stick it in the classifieds. If you want to keep it, all it'll cost you is some money for some slicks.

thanks for the helpful advice :roll: but have seen other posts of similar content when searching so most sorry I broke the rules
    Kev

• kfinlay
    .blitz wrote:
    Like my '96 Proflex, your Karakorum is practically worthless to anyone apart from yourself. Having said that I think there's nothing wrong with having a 'spare' bike or two and even if it is old, providing it's not knackered there's no reason why you shouldn't keep it.

Kinda what I expected but as I'm seriously skint I just thought I'd ask. Think I'll keep it and when I can find a few bob I'll stick some slicks on - any cheaper ones you'd recommend?
    TIA
    Kev

• I've been living on ebay for the past couple of weeks looking for exactly something like that and they really don't go for much - not unless you've got an absolutely top spec classic that everyone wanted then but couldn't afford until now.

I've got a very early 90s Marin sat here in mint condition, stil looking almost new, and I can't bare to use it, but it's not worth anything to sell either.
  • kfinlay
    I've been living on ebay for the past couple of weeks looking for exactly something like that and they really don't go for much - not unless you've got an absolutely top spec classic that everyone wanted then but couldn't afford until now.

I've got a very early 90s Marin sat here in mint condition, stil looking almost new, and I can't bare to use it, but it's not worth anything to sell either.

cheers mate,
    have made up my mind to keep it and as it's not a minter then I'm going to use it rather than have it sitting unused.will be a bit of a change from the road bike and may even try to find some local trails for a bit of off-road stuff. I love cycling so why not enjoy more than one type of riding eh :)
    Kev

• Go on to the retro-bike site and ask on there. I'm sure the guys will be helpful, it's a great site :)
  • kfinlay
    cheers E of B, noticed you got a Zaskar - I lusted after that one back when I got my Karakorum, just couldn't afford it. Will have a look out of curiosity but think I'll keep the bike, use it and maybe even bring it back to perfect condition if there is somewhere I could get replacement stickers. So many options but no need to rush to make a decision and if I keep the bike then I still have choices in the future.

thanks again mate :)
    Kev

• Break it up unfortunately, the LX group will fetch a fair bit, the other bits peanuts

The frame might get you 5 pints of beer if it's a looker.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I am very fond of those bikes, my second and favourite mtb was a GT Bravado of the same vintage (same frame, xt groupset), I would love to have it still, and for the future (gave it to my son, broke the frame eventually) :cry: Keep it, love it.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Nice frames the Karakoram but heavy.

I'd keep it as a second bike.
  • kfinlay
    Thanks for all the info guys, plan to keep it and use it, probably a good idea to change the 12 year old tyres :lol:
    Kev